Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Parting Thoughts for the 2015 Season
Time to move on to next year.  Hope the Bengals can keep a nucleus together for 2016.  Draft time will be the next thing I 'tune in to'.

My parting thoughts for this year:

After watching Denver last night, I can't help but wonder how things would have played out if the thumb had not gotten busted??!!??
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 11:46 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Time to move on to next year.  Hope the Bengals can keep a nucleus together for 2016.  Draft time will be the next thing I 'tune in to'.

My parting thoughts for this year:

After watching Denver last night, I can't help but wonder how things would have played out if the thumb had not gotten busted??!!??

I try not to think about that, but yeah, it was running through my mind too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I guess to take it a step further, what would have happened had we beat Pittsburgh? I have to think that even if McCarran starts in the AFC Title game, he would have beaten the Broncos.
Reply/Quote
If Susan Lucci can win an Emmy then Marvin can win a Super Bowl.

Here is my honest assessment of the 2015 Bengals.  Once Burfict returned the Bengals had a Championship level defense.  Solid against both the pass and run.  We have lots of free agents on that side of the ball (Jones, Hall, Iloka, Nelson)  I think we will bring most of those guys back, and if not we have decent replacements at Dennard, Williams, and Shaw.  I don't want all three of those guys starting, but no way we let all our free agents walk.  So as I see it the only real needs for the Defense are a quality DT and a nickle LB.  Hopefully we can get a Dt in the draft.  A niche player like a nickle LB should be cheap on the free agent market.

On offense our running game was inconsistent all year.  I believe we have good RBs, and a lot of good O-linemen.  I think Smith will probably be replaced by one of the second year draft picks, but he did not seem to play as well as he has in the past.  Bodine did not seem to improve very much.  It will be interesting to see if they give him another year.  I am afraid we may take another fourth rounder to give him a year to develope behind Bodine.  I think we will end up signing Zeitler to a long term deal.  Marvin Jones seems to want to go somewhere to be a #1.  If so we need to use a high pick on a WR.  Sanu is okay as a #3, but I don't trust him as our #2.  We have tons of weapons on offense even if Jones leaves.

Overall I see a solid team that is no longer "inexperienced" or "young" yet does not yet have any real concerns with players getting old.  Our core is in its prime.  There is no reason we should not be a Super Bowl contender next year.  We have to fix the running game, but I feel we have plenty of talent to run the ball.
Reply/Quote
2015 was the team that could, but never did.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 12:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If Susan Lucci can win an Emmy then Marvin can win a Super Bowl.

Here is my honest assessment of the 2015 Bengals.  Once Burfict returned the Bengals had a Championship level defense.  Solid against both the pass and run.  We have lots of free agents on that side of the ball (Jones, Hall, Iloka, Nelson)  I think we will bring most of those guys back, and if not we have decent replacements at Dennard, Williams, and Shaw.  I don't want all three of those guys starting, but no way we let all our free agents walk.  So as I see it the only real needs for the Defense are a quality DT and a nickle LB.  Hopefully we can get a Dt in the draft.  A niche player like a nickle LB should be cheap on the free agent market.

On offense our running game was inconsistent all year.  I believe we have good RBs, and a lot of good O-linemen.  I think Smith will probably be replaced by one of the second year draft picks, but he did not seem to play as well as he has in the past.  Bodine did not seem to improve very much.  It will be interesting to see if they give him another year.  I am afraid we may take another fourth rounder to give him a year to develope behind Bodine.  I think we will end up signing Zeitler to a long term deal.  Marvin Jones seems to want to go somewhere to be a #1.  If so we need to use a high pick on a WR.  Sanu is okay as a #3, but I don't trust him as our #2.  We have tons of weapons on offense even if Jones leaves.

Overall I see a solid team that is no longer "inexperienced" or "young" yet does not yet have any real concerns with players getting old.  Our core is in its prime.  There is no reason we should not be a Super Bowl contender next year.  We have to fix the running game, but I feel we have plenty of talent to run the ball.

In addition to what Fred has said, it's also noteworthy that the 2016 coaching staff has the most years of experience in the Lewis era!  
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 12:24 PM)Gohards Wrote: 2015 was the team that could, but never did.

This Super Bowl was between Cam in full-blown pout mode and a 62 year old QB who played about 3 good games this season so I think every team this side of 6-10 probably thinks it could have won it all this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 01:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This Super Bowl was between Cam in full-blown pout mode and a 62 year old QB who played about 3 good games this season so I think every team this side of 6-10 probably thinks it could have won it all this year.

Problem with this is that there were only 11 other teams that had even a 'chance' to win the SB this year!  The other 20 were at home, wishing in one hand, and crapping in the other waiting to see which one filled up first! 
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 12:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If Susan Lucci can win an Emmy ...... then Marvin can win a Super Bowl.
...and Gary Kubiak can win a SB .....
Kubiak is the Trent Dilfer of coaches.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 12:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If Susan Lucci can win an Emmy then Marvin can win a Super Bowl.

Agree with all of this. Especially about run game needs addressed. 

But if they decide Bodine needs to be replaced ? Hoping this is the one spot that is done via FA. 

Needs fixed pronto and a 4th rounder will not suffice immediately. The run blocking killed us this year. 

Although I do hang some of this on Hue. 

Hill sputtered at beginning and Gio stepped in and was killing it. Then for some odd reason he goes back and tries to force it to Hill ?  Did not work and consequently took Gio out of his rhythm which he never regained. 

Made a thread questioning this move at time. Actually only thread I have ever made on this board. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 01:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This Super Bowl was between Cam in full-blown pout mode and a 62 year old QB who played about 3 good games this season so I think every team this side of 6-10 probably thinks it could have won it all this year.

Yes but since the Bengals only lost by 3 to Denver while sucking wind in Denver, only being able to play Geno half his usual snaps too. 

This was a very important game to both teams as well and was not overlooked by either team. Will not bring up the back up QB since they started one too. Even if theirs had more games to get acclimated. 

Think it is fair to say Bengals had a legit shot this season if not for losing starting QB. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The lack of running game has killed us for quite some time now. It's not that we don't have it, its that we don't utilize it in big games.

I was looking at McCarrons stats from the playoff game and noted he threw 42 times...

So pretty much in the last 5 playoffs we have thrown 38+ times in 4 of the games (or something similar to that, this is off the top of my head)

I think this has been our downfall. Why can't we stick with the run in playoff games? It's because it isn't effective, but as Fred stated, we have the pieces for it to be there. Hopefully a new running scheme will fix things... but I'm not so certain how much these things can be fixed when your O-line coach stays the same...

Either way, I think UTILIZING the running game will be key next year.....
Reply/Quote
Also, this season bolsters hope that the Dalton Bengals can get it done. Dalton had his best season, and guys like Atkins and Burfict returned to their pre-injury forms.

If we could ever find a smidgeon of luck, we may do something.... someday..... in some universe.....
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 02:02 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Yes but since the Bengals only lost by 3 to Denver while sucking wind in Denver, only being able to play Geno half his usual snaps too. 

This was a very important game to both teams as well and was not overlooked by either team. Will not bring up the back up QB since they started one too. Even if theirs had more games to get acclimated. 

Think it is fair to say Bengals had a legit shot this season if not for losing starting QB. 

I hear ya, but if Pig Ben doesn't get hurt this year the Steelers may have won the division and rolled right over the entire AFC and we'd have to be suffering through their bs now.  In fact, I'm sure if I go to the Steelers message board (or the Cardinals, or Patriots, or many other teams that came close-ish to winning) there is a "We coulda won if not for _____" thread there.

I get it, though.
Reply/Quote
My parting thoughts.....Team started 8-0 and then went 4-4 and then one and done again in the play-offs. ....Bengals should burn their AFC North Champ shirts because the Pittsburg Steelers won 2 out of 3 and beat Bengals in the play-offs, so those AFC North Champ shirts will be laughed at by the Steelers fans. Those shirts mean nothing now. BEngals can't claim best team in the AFC North if they lost to Steelers in play-offs and lost 2 of the 3 games. .......So the 8-0 start just blew up and crashed and burned. Another one and done. ....Hopefully 2016 will be better, but September is a long way off as I type this day after Super Bowl.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 03:01 PM)kevin Wrote: My parting thoughts.....Team started 8-0 and then went 4-4 and then one and done again in the play-offs. ....Bengals should burn their AFC North Champ shirts because the Pittsburg Steelers won 2 out of 3 and beat Bengals in the play-offs, so those AFC North Champ shirts will be laughed at by the Steelers fans. Those shirts mean nothing now.  BEngals can't claim best team in the AFC North if they lost to Steelers in play-offs and lost 2 of the 3 games. .......So the 8-0 start just blew up and crashed and burned. Another one and done. ....Hopefully 2016 will be better, but September is a long way off as I type this day after Super Bowl.

Well, that's pretty pessimistic but I can't disagree.  As easily as we claim Dalton's injury derailed our Super Bowl run we have to remember the Steelers and Ravens were facing some significant injuries which may very well have helped us win the division in the first place.

Thems the breaks.  Injuries happen, so I try not to harp on it too much because it's hard to go the entire season without injury AND it's unlikely you get where you are in the season without someone else's injury helping you in some way.
Reply/Quote
I'll remember this season for the 8-0 start also.

But also the way it ended. The Burfict interception, the fumble, then the penalties. Ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
My parting 2015 thoughts would be: aim high, shoot low.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Thanks for the fun regular season.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 03:01 PM)kevin Wrote: My parting thoughts.....Team started 8-0 and then went 4-4 and then one and done again in the play-offs. ....Bengals should burn their AFC North Champ shirts because the Pittsburg Steelers won 2 out of 3 and beat Bengals in the play-offs, so those AFC North Champ shirts will be laughed at by the Steelers fans. Those shirts mean nothing now.  BEngals can't claim best team in the AFC North if they lost to Steelers in play-offs and lost 2 of the 3 games. .......So the 8-0 start just blew up and crashed and burned. Another one and done. ....Hopefully 2016 will be better, but September is a long way off as I type this day after Super Bowl.

The Steeler's 2 wins were with the Bengals backup QB.  I don't agree with anything you said at all in this post.
Reply/Quote