Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Party or country?
(07-16-2017, 02:21 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That is .... I often wonder if multiple parties would be a good thing.   Trump winning shows that if you can get the early free coverage by the media then you can run a streamlined campaign.

Except he got that by having already been int he spotlight for 30 years via his tabloid romances and successful ( and failed) businesses.

No matter how much he is exaggerating his wealth...he is still very wealthy.  And that is still the key to it unfortunately.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-16-2017, 10:29 AM)xxlt Wrote: Was his first name Murphy?

Close. Maurice. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-16-2017, 11:02 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Close. Maurice. LOL

Oh, that Joker! Some people call him the Space Cowboy, some call him the Gangster of Love.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(07-16-2017, 07:23 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: We have a two party system because of Duverger's Law.

Ok, I had to look that term up.  Now I have to ask, do we have a two party system because of Duverger's Law, or because of single member districts?  Seems to me like the US has been in a two party system since before Duverger came up with his theory.  Seems to me that Duverger's "Law" is simply a theory based on an observation of the habits of a single member district system.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(07-16-2017, 05:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ok, I had to look that term up.  Now I have to ask, do we have a two party system because of Duverger's Law, or because of single member districts?  Seems to me like the US has been in a two party system since before Duverger came up with his theory.  Seems to me that Duverger's "Law" is simply a theory based on an observation of the habits of a single member district system.

Duverger's Law explains why, but it is a resultof single member districts ( and first-past-the-post voting). It was erroneous to say that is why, it just explains why.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR