Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pass Catchers - 2019: Not all bad!
While it was incredibly frustrating to not see AJ Green take the field all year, I thought it was worth mentioning some good things with pass catchers for 2019.

- Tyler Boyd surpassed 1000 yards again. He has proven to be a very good WR2 who can fill in as a WR1 when needed.

- Three other WRs surpassed 500 yards:
-- Auden Tate - 575 yards (12 games)
-- Alex Erickson - 529 yards (16 games)
-- John Ross - 506 yards (8 games)

- Tyler Eifert remained healthy through a whole season and put up a respectable 436 yards (184 yards in final 4 games). He probably would have put up more if TEs were more of an emphasis through the whole year.

No longer is the passing game solely dependent on AJ Green. This year was tough but it was a great growth year for the WRs specifically. Hopefully Taylor plans to incorporate the TE as a pass catcher more often for 2020.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Green, Boyd, Tate, Ross is a good corps no doubt. That said, with both of our deep threats missing so much playing time we still need to bring in a WR who can fly past the safeties.
Reply/Quote
Auden Tate with more yards than Juju...nice.
Reply/Quote
Love it, though we were throwing a lot because we were behind this year. Also, big yardage doesn't help when you have red zone issues.

I also feel like we should've used CJ Uzomah more. Dude is great with YAC.

Reply/Quote
Not to shabby considering the FUBAR that was this season.

But I've just lost all hope on Ross being anything more than a 4th/5th WR.

And Erickson is more of a 5th WR or even 6th on a good team. And I'm not so sure he couldn't be fairly easily replaced as a returner.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 01:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: While it was incredibly frustrating to not see AJ Green take the field all year, I thought it was worth mentioning some good things with pass catchers for 2019.

- Tyler Boyd surpassed 1000 yards again. He has proven to be a very good WR2 who can fill in as a WR1 when needed.

- Three other WRs surpassed 500 yards:
-- Auden Tate - 575 yards (12 games)
-- Alex Erickson - 529 yards (16 games)
-- John Ross - 506 yards (8 games)

- Tyler Eifert remained healthy through a whole season and put up a respectable 436 yards (184 yards in final 4 games). He probably would have put up more if TEs were more of an emphasis through the whole year.

No longer is the passing game solely dependent on AJ Green. This year was tough but it was a great growth year for the WRs specifically. Hopefully Taylor plans to incorporate the TE as a pass catcher more often for 2020.

I think we're in worse shape than the individual numbers would indicate.  As a team, we're 6th in pass attempts, but only 19th in passing yards and 27th in passing TD's.  

Both Ross and Tate have low catch%'s and injury concerns.  Ross is really the only deep threat under contract next year.  Erickson has been serviceable as a back up, but that's really it. 

It's a strong WR draft and the Bengals should probably double dip and get one on Day 2 and one on Day 3.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 02:27 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Not to shabby considering the FUBAR that was this season.

But I've just lost all hope on Ross being anything more than a 4th/5th WR.

And Erickson is more of a 5th WR or even 6th on a good team. And I'm not so sure he couldn't be fairly easily replaced as a returner.

I assume you feel that way due to health? Because Ross's projected over a whole season would have surpassed 1000 yards. I wholeheartedly think that if he had been healthy all year, he would have put up good WR2-caliber numbers.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 02:37 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think we're in worse shape than the individual numbers would indicate.  As a team, we're 6th in pass attempts, but only 19th in passing yards and 27th in passing TD's.  

Both Ross and Tate have low catch%'s and injury concerns.  Ross is really the only deep threat under contract next year.  Erickson has been serviceable as a back up, but that's really it. 

It's a strong WR draft and the Bengals should probably double dip and get one on Day 2 and one on Day 3.

I see Ross as John Brown or Devery Henderson. Smaller speed guy who is a legitimate deep threat. Both had a career reception percentage in the low 50's. Ross is lower than 50 right now but I think he'll be better if they A) use him more on shorter routes, and B) get a QB who has better deep ball accuracy.

Interestingly, Henderson was always considered a WR2/3 in New Orleans and Brown was basically the same in Arizona. Brown has since elevated his game to WR1/2 the past two years in Baltimore and Buffalo.

If Ross can remain healthy for 12+ games a year, I definitely see him in the 700+ yard range with a handful of TDs.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 02:20 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Love it, though we were throwing a lot because we were behind this year. Also, big yardage doesn't help when you have red zone issues.

Agreed, but I'd rather Eifert over Uzomah if passing to a TE. FWIW, the Bengals looked to finally start incorporating the TE in the passing game in the last 4-8 games of the season. With Eifert hitting FA, he might go elsewhere, which would open up more opportunities for Uzomah (or Sample).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 02:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I assume you feel that way due to health? Because Ross's projected over a whole season would have surpassed 1000 yards. I wholeheartedly think that if he had been healthy all year, he would have put up good WR2-caliber numbers.

Yeah but since when has he been healthy all year?  Would've and could've are nothing to depend on.  He's reached his ceiling IMO.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 03:05 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: Yeah but since when has he been healthy all year?  Would've and could've are nothing to depend on.  He's reached his ceiling IMO.

He hasn't reached his ceiling. His ceiling is what he could do with perfect health.
I'm not opposed to getting another 1-2 WRs to compete, but people treating Ross like he's Alex Erickson or worse.
How about we let him finish out his final year next year and see how he does before deciding to part ways with him or not?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 02:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I assume you feel that way due to health? Because Ross's projected over a whole season would have surpassed 1000 yards. I wholeheartedly think that if he had been healthy all year, he would have put up good WR2-caliber numbers.

Yes injury history is main concern, he just can't stay on the field. But also he's just to damn inconsistent ! John Madden quote "all WR's drop a few, the key words being "a few". And I'm not saying he has a lot of drops. Just it's an adventure every time the ball heads his way.

Whether it's running the wrong route or not correctly running it ? Not being physical enough to get off the line of scrimage ? Not being able to win 50/50 balls. Seems a lot of int's have been when he's targeted.

In short I just don't trust he can be a steady #1 #2 or #3 option. Fill in perhaps ?

Maybe a better QB will change that ?
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 02:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I see Ross as John Brown or Devery Henderson. Smaller speed guy who is a legitimate deep threat. Both had a career reception percentage in the low 50's. Ross is lower than 50 right now but I think he'll be better if they A) use him more on shorter routes, and B) get a QB who has better deep ball accuracy.

Interestingly, Henderson was always considered a WR2/3 in New Orleans and Brown was basically the same in Arizona. Brown has since elevated his game to WR1/2 the past two years in Baltimore and Buffalo.

If Ross can remain healthy for 12+ games a year, I definitely see him in the 700+ yard range with a handful of TDs.

Burrow does a good job of dropping the ball in the proverbial bucket, which should help Ross.  Still, he has injury issues and that has probably hampered him working through his consistency issues.  He's dangerous, but not someone I would count on.  If he's healthy next year with Boyd and a legit #2, look out though.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 03:13 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes injury history is main concern, he just can't stay on the field. But also he's just to damn inconsistent ! John Madden quote "all WR's drop a few, the key words being "a few". And I'm not saying he has a lot of drops. Just it's an adventure every time the ball heads his way.

Whether it's running the wrong route or not correctly running it ? Not being physical enough to get off the line of scrimage ? Not being able to win 50/50 balls. Seems a lot of int's have been when he's targeted.

In short I just don't trust he can be a steady #1 #2 or #3 option. Fill in perhaps ?

He has the highest drop percentage of those with at least 20 targets in the league.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Boyd has reached his ceiling as a #2. Tate seems to have grown into a potential #3, and I am okay with Erickson as a #4.

They're just missing a #1 now (lets be honest, AJ is leaving) to make a solid WR group.

Also don't love the pass catching TE options they have. Don't love Uzomah as a starter, and Eifert isn't physically the same Eifert anymore, and can't handle a heavy workload. Interesting thing, if you look at the Top 10 TEs this year in receiving yards, 6 of the top 10 are on playoff teams.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 02:20 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Love it, though we were throwing a lot because we were behind this year. Also, big yardage doesn't help when you have red zone issues.

I would love to see a breakdown and compare the relative success of three wides, vs double TEs.  I think they played a LOT more two TE in the last game and the rushing attack took off and both Uzo and Eifert were effective.  If they are able to re-sign Eifert for a team-friendly deal and have Sample start to contribute, the two TE look could become more of a staple.

Everyone is down on ZT, but what I saw this year was a coach that adapted to his team throughout the year, took some chances on other players (Finley was a huge failure, but at least we know that now) and his team improved throughout the year.  I also didn't find myself saying the play before it happened nearly as much as in the past.  

If Green is not re-signed, they need to draft one more tall, fast WR to fill that role.  I love Tate in 4 wide, or maybe even playing a TE role in two TE sets, and splitting time with Boyd in the slot.  Ross is still pretty low on the learning curve, but I love when he has the ball in his hands instead of just airing it out to him.  
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 03:13 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes injury history is main concern, he just can't stay on the field. But also he's just to damn inconsistent ! John Madden quote "all WR's drop a few, the key words being "a few". And I'm not saying he has a lot of drops. Just it's an adventure every time the ball heads his way.

Most WR2's and below are inconsistent.
I also think you're focusing too much on his mental mistakes from 2017-2018 rather than focusing on how much he improved this year.

The way I look at it is this...
A WR2 is typically around 800 yards.
On a per-game basis, that's 50 yards a game.
Would you rather have a consistent 50 yards a game or a game with 25 yards but the next with 75?
50 yards may be more consistent but wouldn't you like to have a guy who can occasionally take over a game with 75+ yards, even if it means having some games under 40 yards?
I would.

Was John Ross overdrafted? Most would agree yes.
Are people being way over-critical of him because he was the 9th overall pick 3 years ago? Yes.
Is he a smaller receiver who doesn't win many physical matchups or try to climb the ladder to win 50-50 balls? Yes.
Does he have the speed and agility to force the defense to play deep and help open up the field for other WRs while also having the ability to have big games himself? Yes.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Tate will be interesting to see develop as he needs to polish up the consistency. Ross needs to be cut - I am not sure I have ever seen a worse receiver at the very basic elements of route running and playing the ball in the air. We need a legit speed receiver who actually knows how to play the receiver position.
Reply/Quote