Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pass Interference - Reviewable 2019
It is going to be very interesting good and bad for our team in 2019 with the new rule that PI can be challenged, both offensive and defensive. Some were confused on a call late against the skins, their receiver was called for offensive PI. The time of the catch it was obvious nothing had happened. But rewind downfield (attached) and you see the receiver push off about 5 yards prior and knock our defender #35 off balance.

Lapham and other said we got a break, but I disagreed as I saw the push off. No different than a defender can't check or push a receiver after 5 yards, the rule also applies to the offensive players.  

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/0ap3000001041914/article/nfl-explains-controversial-opi-call-against-redskins

What do you think of ability to challenge PI this year?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
What about the one Willis was called for that negated a TD? All I saw was hand fighting and no one hindered the other guy??
Reply/Quote
Lame that's not OPI. Let them play
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Fine by me. Doesn’t really change the pace of the game since the coaches still only get 2+1 challenges.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 03:27 PM)sandwedge Wrote: What about the one Willis was called for that negated a TD? All I saw was hand fighting and no one hindered the other guy??

that's a play I say they call in preseason(so they can review them later).... But when season rolls around that one goes...  while it looked like a little shove it didn't seem to change the other players direction or momentum
Reply/Quote
This is a hard sell for me. I see us getting screwed more than not. Traditionally this is how thing end up.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 04:42 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: This is a hard sell for me. I see us getting screwed more than not. Traditionally this is how thing end up.

I will say Offense PI was being dissed out as much as Defensive PI which is kinda a nice change.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 05:35 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I will say Offense PI was being dissed out as much as Defensive PI which is kinda a nice change.

And it seems this may be a way to sorta even the playing field. Defense has taken several haymakers to the chin over past few years. It'll take some time to sort out.

Still not sure overall we're going in all the right directions with all the new rules though ?
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 03:27 PM)sandwedge Wrote: What about the one Willis was called for that negated a TD? All I saw was hand fighting and no one hindered the other guy??

It was not reviewed, but agree is was a BS call. I loved that Willis fought and won that ball.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I'm really not seeing OPI there, but c'est la vie.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:00 PM)Earendil Wrote: I'm really not seeing OPI there, but c'est la vie.

Did you look at video around 50 yard line or 5 yards earlier?

The NFL said push off on #35 knocked him off balance prior to the ball arriving (like 1.5 second earlier and not when ball arrived) 

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:14 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Did you look at video around 50 yard line or 5 yards earlier?

The NFL said push off on #35 knocked him off balance prior to the ball arriving (like 1.5 second earlier and not when ball arrived) 

I believe PFT stated that you could see the official pulling out the flag soon after the snap and was not in view of camera.  The OPI occurred before the actual catch.  But also, I believe the Redskin player grabbed the back of Brown.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:17 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I believe PFT stated that you could see the official pulling out the flag soon after the snap and was not in view of camera.  The OPI occurred before the actual catch.  But also, I believe the Redskin player grabbed the back of Brown.  

Yes you do see him grabbing Brown's jersey by the back. 
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 03:21 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It is going to be very interesting good and bad for our team in 2019 with the new rule that PI can be challenged, both offensive and defensive. Some were confused on a call late against the skins, their receiver was called for offensive PI. The time of the catch it was obvious nothing had happened. But rewind downfield (attached) and you see the receiver push off about 5 yards prior and knock our defender #35 off balance.

Lapham and other said we got a break, but I disagreed as I saw the push off. No different than a defender can't check or push a receiver after 5 yards, the rule also applies to the offensive players.  

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/0ap3000001041914/article/nfl-explains-controversial-opi-call-against-redskins

Why don't the refs announce what actually happen to cause the OPI then. Watching the game ( wash announcers) you would think it was the worst call ever. Even worse than the N.O. Playoff no call PI cause this one was reviewed and still OPI. If the WR pushed off I get it, but I would never have never known that was the case if I didn't get on here.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 10:20 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Why don't the refs announce what actually happen to cause the OPI then. Watching the game ( wash announcers) you would think it was the worst call ever. Even worse than the N.O. Playoff no call PI cause this one was reviewed and still OPI. If the WR pushed off I get it, but I would never have never known that was the case if I didn't get on here.

I agree, why not a brief explanation. But in the refs defense, I was watching the game live and I caught it during the numerous replays. Why didn't the TV and radio announcers catch it? I think because largely that call is ignored when a receiver does it, but called every time a defender makes contact after 5 yards.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 03:21 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It is going to be very interesting good and bad for our team in 2019 with the new rule that PI can be challenged, both offensive and defensive. Some were confused on a call late against the skins, their receiver was called for offensive PI. The time of the catch it was obvious nothing had happened. But rewind downfield (attached) and you see the receiver push off about 5 yards prior and knock our defender #35 off balance.

I think for the most part it's a good thing, especially to challenge non-calls. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
It will be more interested in when teams use it.. I don;t know the rule clearly, do you have three overall challenges now or you have 2 plus you can only use one on Pass Interference ?  If so, I could see teams holding on using it for critical time in a game.
Reply/Quote

I think it will suck and the biggest result will be slowing down games.  It is all, of course, because Sean Payton stayed nuthurt over not going to the SB because of a bad call(like that's the first time that ever happened), and just refused to let it go.  Since this new call changed the past and put the Saints in the SB, then it was all worth it.

The biggest issue with PI is that it's a subjective call without clear cut, definitive guidelines about what is actually PI.  And replay won't change that.  It'll just add one more layer of people who don't really know what is and what isn't PI, all it adds is more time to already too long games.  And a by-product is more commercials, which the league loves, since it's more revenue.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2019, 11:31 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: It will be more interested in when teams use it.. I don;t know the rule clearly, do you have three overall challenges now or you have 2 plus you can only use one on Pass Interference ?  If so, I could see teams holding on using it for critical time in a game.

believe you still get 2 challenges 3 if the first 2 are correct  its just PI is a thing that can be challenged now.
Reply/Quote