Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pass Protection Technique Has Evolved
Let's set run blocking aside for a moment and talk about pass protection technique. There's an old way to do it and a new way to do it. First, let's examine the old way.

Traditional pass protection involves formation of a pocket for the quarterback whereby the center stays pretty much where he is, the guards move backwards a step or two, and the tackles move back further. Sometimes a tight end can be involved but usually they are assigned to run a pass route. Looking from above, the formation assumes an upside down "U" shape with the quarterback in the middle. If the center must be involved in a double-team block, the "U" becomes two columns or an "M" shape when viewed from above with the quarterback's front side exposed. As the play progresses the pocket shrinks. Against slow, burly, beefy defensive linemen, this technique worked very well for the first 75 years of the NFL but today's defensive linemen are not just big but fast. The modern defensive linemen can defeat this old technique with speed. Today's linebackers are even faster still.

Now we look at the new method of pass protection. Instead of moving backwards, the offensive line moves forwards -- just a little, not a lot -- into the defensive line with the center moving the most and the tackles moving forward the least; sometimes the tackles stay stationary or move slightly backwards slightly depending on the play call. Now the pocket expands, allowing more maneuvering room for the quarterback. It's easier to stop big, fast defensive linemen when moving toward them instead of with them. It's also more straightforward to pick up blitzing linebackers this way. From above, the pocket looks like an upside-down smile with the defensive linemen backing up.

Most modern teams use a mix of old and new pass protection techniques: Mostly the new way. I haven't seen Cincinnati use the new way, well, ever. The best examples of the modern pass protection technique I can think of -- maybe you can think of others -- are New England and Pittsburgh in the NFL and Ohio State and Alabama in college.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You have to have a little talent on the line to effectively block.....this team has zero talent

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 08:48 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Let's set run blocking aside for a moment and talk about pass protection technique.  There's an old way to do it and a new way to do it.  First, let's examine the old way.

Traditional pass protection involves formation of a pocket for the quarterback whereby the center stays pretty much where he is, the guards move backwards a step or two, and the tackles move back further.  Sometimes a tight end can be involved but usually they are assigned to run a pass route.  Looking from above, the formation assumes an upside down "U" shape with the quarterback in the middle.  If the center must be involved in a double-team block, the "U" becomes two columns or an "M" shape when viewed from above with the quarterback's front side exposed.  As the play progresses the pocket shrinks.  Against slow, burly, beefy defensive linemen, this technique worked very well for the first 75 years of the NFL but today's defensive linemen are not just big but fast.  The modern defensive linemen can defeat this old technique with speed.  Today's linebackers are even faster still.

Now we look at the new method of pass protection.  Instead of moving backwards, the offensive line moves forwards -- just a little, not a lot -- into the defensive line with the center moving the most and the tackles moving forward the least; sometimes the tackles stay stationary or move slightly backwards slightly depending on the play call.  Now the pocket expands, allowing more maneuvering room for the quarterback.  It's easier to stop big, fast defensive linemen when moving toward them instead of with them.  It's also more straightforward to pick up blitzing linebackers this way.  From above, the pocket looks like an upside-down smile with the defensive linemen backing up.

Most modern teams use a mix of old and new pass protection techniques:  Mostly the new way.  I haven't seen Cincinnati use the new way, well, ever.  The best examples of the modern pass protection technique I can think of -- maybe you can think of others -- are New England and Pittsburgh in the NFL and Ohio State and Alabama in college.

Most teams actually use a mix of both in every game, depending on the routes. That goes for the Bengals, Patriots, Steelers, Cowboys, Saints, SF, Buffalo and the Dolphins. I named those teams because those are the games i went back and watched (this year and last) to see how it plays out. 

On shorter routes where the ball is supposed to come out quick, the line engages sooner (retreat into the pocket less). On longer developing routes, the line retreats more and engages a bit later in the play (due to the retreat). 

Basically, no team employs one over the other on the majority of their drop backs. Everyone does the same thing. The one exception i noticed was, on screen plays, the line drops back as if it's a longer developing play. I'd surmise that this is to get the EDs to rush up field and take them out of the play--and the design of that play is to allow defenders to get through the line easier than they normally would to encourage them to rush harder and take themselves out of the play. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote