Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pass Rush
Our pass rush will largely determine our season. We know that Dunlap and Atkins can get pressure. Will guys like Lawson, Billings, and Willis be given a chance? Or will the Bengals keep playing aging veterans like MJ, Gilberry, Sims, and Thompson.

Our secondary has an aging Jones. Guys like Kirkpatrick are above average but not great. Iloka and Williams are good against the run, but not as good as Reggie Nelson against the pass. Then Dennard looks like a bust. William Jackson's play could be pretty critical to stabilize the secondary. If he struggles, our CB's may be in trouble as you need atleast 3 quality CB's in todays NFL.

At LB, Burfict is great. Minter is an upgrade to Maualuga...but kind of slow. I like Vigil's quickness. I'd say overall this group should be better than last year, but still deficient in pass coverage.

It's going to take a good pass rush to force turnovers and take QB's time away or they will find open receivers in the secondary and over the middle. On paper, our pass rush should be improved...but that's contingent on the coaches playing the good, young pass rushers...and not sticking with aging veterans who aren't carrying their weight.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 09:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our pass rush will largely determine our season. We know that Dunlap and Atkins can get pressure. Will guys like Lawson,  Billings, and Willis be given a chance? Or will the Bengals keep playing aging veterans like MJ, Gilberry, Sims, and Thompson.

Our secondary has an aging Jones. Guys like Kirkpatrick are above average but not great. Iloka and Williams are good against the run, but not as good as Reggie Nelson against the pass. Then Dennard looks like a bust. William Jackson's play could be pretty critical to stabilize the secondary. If he struggles, our CB's may be in trouble as you need atleast 3 quality CB's in todays NFL.

At LB, Burfict is great. Minter is an upgrade to Maualuga...but kind of slow. I like Vigil's quickness. I'd say overall this group should be better than last year, but still deficient in pass coverage.

It's going to take a good pass rush to force turnovers and take QB's time away or they will find open receivers in the secondary and over the middle. On paper, our pass rush should be improved...but that's contingent on the coaches playing the good, young pass rushers...and not sticking with aging veterans who aren't carrying their weight.

I'm confident in this defense to be a Championship caliber squad.  They just have to stay healthy.  Ditto the offense.  They are better, significantly, than the 2015 squad that was 8-0, but they have to be able to stay on the field. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think, hope we are having a youth movement. Since Whit and Peko are gone maybe they will stay consistent and cut M.Johnson, Gillberry or just drop them in the depth chart to give some of the younger guys a chance. I would say Pac Man too but we all know he's not going anywhere.
Reply/Quote
I agree that our talent on paper from 1 to 53 is better than 2 years ago. The weird thing with the Bengals is that it's usually when we're supposed to be really good...we underachieve. And when little is expected...we overachieve.
Reply/Quote
Kirkpatrick is a good CB. He's definitely better than just above average. A few years ago I would have agreed with you though. I think our defense will be one of the best in the league.
Reply/Quote
Finally got to watch the first preseason game. Willis needs to be starting soon. Get the young hungry guys in there.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 09:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our pass rush will largely determine our season. We know that Dunlap and Atkins can get pressure. Will guys like Lawson,  Billings, and Willis be given a chance? Or will the Bengals keep playing aging veterans like MJ, Gilberry, Sims, and Thompson.

The S tandem got better as the year went on last year.  Don't know if Iloka being out will disrupt that.

We have Josh Shaw to play that third corner if necessary.  I think we'll be alright in the secondary.

If Minter struggles with speed or tackling issues, maybe we see Evan sooner than later.  He was all over the place the other night.  Might or might not have been in the right place but he got there quickly.

As to LB's, yeah, sweet Jesus give me a LB who can cover before I die.

As to the young pass rushers, they will play.  And the more they show, the more they play.  And having them might very well add to Geno and Dunlap's games. 

Just like Ross and Mixon of the O, these guys were drafted to play. 

The three guys who played showed signs of maybe there's no keeping them off the field.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

That's why it's called a rotation. The only one of the regulars I see that may be on the outside looking in is Gilberry....
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2017, 12:13 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Finally got to watch the first preseason game. Willis needs to be starting soon. Get the young hungry guys in there.

He has a number of pass rush moves and we haven't seen anything yet, as they just allowed him to wide rush and bull rush.  I think whatever QB is taking snaps for Baltimore week 1 might be in for a long day.  
Reply/Quote

I don't think I'd put Billings in on 3rd and long. My preference for that would be Gilberry or a youngster like Hardison or Williams (if any make the team). I think Lawson will be the favorite for pass rush on the outside over Willis, but Willis should (hopefully) get some opportunities occasionally when rushing Lawson from the LB position.

Also, you forgot to mention Shaw, who has proven to be a good 3rd CB and could also become a very good cover safety.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

The coaches need to learn from that last game and start either Willis or Chris Smith ahead of MJ and Billings over Sims.

Pretty damn obvious who the better players are. Plus we should get Tapou some earlier snaps as he looked decent i hear.

I guess WJ3 is looking great in practice and Kirkpatrick played well last season. Shaw is a very good Slot CB and is extremely versatile.

Both George and Shawn looked much better last year as the season went on. I think this Secondary could be one of the best myself.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 11:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I agree that our talent on paper from 1 to 53 is better than 2 years ago. The weird thing with the Bengals is that it's usually when we're supposed to be really good...we underachieve. And when little is expected...we overachieve.

Well, if it means anything, very few people outside Cincinnati think the Bengals will do anything.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote