Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Pass blocking
(09-12-2021, 07:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If Hopkins is juts starting slow there was no reason to replace him.  Since you claim BUrrow is not 100% should we have signed  QB to start this year until he got better?

And pllease tell me who we could have signed that would have mad sure Burrow was never sacked or hit this year.

Reiter clearly wasn’t the answer, as no other team has signed him. And despite what some on this board believe he’s not better than Hopkins anyway.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I thought we obviously gave up too many sacks on Burrow. It did look like alot of miscommunication I don't know if that makes me feel better or worse. Still worried about Hopkins if he's healthy enough to play that's great but if he's not a 100 percent that can cause issues. Something occurred to me watching the Vikings that maybe we should tell our guys if they're getting beat to just blatantly hold they're guy. If it gets called which I'm sure it will and it's a 10 yd penalty but you repeat the down. Much better than letting Burrow get pummeled.
Reply/Quote
The 5 sacks today was relative to miscommunication
And Perrine Sample having concrete in.their
Cleats. Sample is a liability out there.
Last years sacks was a common thread
Of guys getting pushed back in the pocket
And getting.their behinds handed to them.
And not.being able to pick up stunts blitzes.
Michael Pierce is a beast. Very nimble quick
For a NT.
Reply/Quote
I think the biggest improvement with the pass blocking, was simply the play calling. When the deep throws happened, they weren't predictable. It was set up with good runs and underneath routes. On the pass to Chase, the CB was lined up looking into the backfield, either expecting safety help or just not even being prepared for a deep throw. It was a really nice change to see the team doing things that kept the defense honest.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 07:14 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Outside of Hopkins, I felt our line held up today. I was livid on that sack where they had Hunter lined up on Sample. Didn’t they have some “derp” plays like that last year with him being expected to single up an elite pass rusher and it ending badly? Was that a missed line call? Did Joe audible there and the adjustment wasn’t made? Or was that another Classic Zac moment there?
I think Perine was suppose to help, but was late.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
This line today was nowhere near as bad as last year. Last year was a talent issue. Today was not. Hopkins looked bad but the rest of the line was solid. Last year we only had one solid lineman any given day if that.

This was scheme/good defensive timing/and Hopkins getting owned. Not the whole line. You can fix the issues today assuming Hopkins improves as he comes back into form. The issues last year were both coaching and talent. Those weren’t getting fixed.

This was week one with a new coach and players and guys coming back from injury. Take a breath and give them a little time. I really did not see anything concerning from the line today except Hopkins who we all know is capable of playing better so expecting improvement from him is not unrealistic.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 09:49 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: This line today was nowhere near as bad as last year. Last year was a talent issue. Today was not. Hopkins looked bad but the rest of the line was solid. Last year we only had one solid lineman any given day if that.

This was scheme/good defensive timing/and Hopkins getting owned. Not the whole line. You can fix the issues today assuming Hopkins improves as he comes back into form. The issues last year were both coaching and talent. Those weren’t getting fixed.

This was week one with a new coach and players and guys coming back from injury. Take a breath and give them a little time. I really did not see anything concerning from the line today except Hopkins who we all know is capable of playing better so expecting improvement from him is not unrealistic.

Agree with this take.  Hopkins got worked today but otherwise the o-line looked pretty good.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 06:59 PM)Au165 Wrote: No clue how he ended up on Hunter…that shouldn’t happen.

If the Vikings stack the line and Hunter is the DE the TE has to take him.

It would be hard for Reiff to switch from the. guy right in front of him to take Hunter.

They had Perine there to help the TE but he is useless. He should be cut.

In fact if I was the Bengals I would sign the best college FB to protect Joe on those plays.

That is why Mixon is not worth his contract. He is not a 3 down back.
Reply/Quote
We REALLY noticed two things - one was the total lack of first team preseason snaps especially for Hopkins. He was super rusty. The other was the lack of Gio Bernard. We had three plays with a pass blocking back/TE not picking up the rusher. Gio meanwhile was making blocks for Tom Brady in Tampa. We NEED a pass blocking back in this offense and if Perine and Sample can't handle it get someone who can.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 09:57 PM)Joelist Wrote: We REALLY noticed two things - one was the total lack of first team preseason snaps especially for Hopkins. He was super rusty. The other was the lack of Gio Bernard. We had three plays with a pass blocking back/TE not picking up the rusher. Gio meanwhile was making blocks for Tom Brady in Tampa. We NEED a pass blocking back in this offense and if Perine and Sample can't handle it get someone who can.

This^^
I posted in the GD thread asking where Evans was today. If he was inactive or just didn’t play any scrimmage snaps (was he on Special Teams and I just not notice?) I thought the book on him was a Gio-ish clone. I thought I read somewhere he was decent in pass pro. Maybe I’m remembering wrong, but if so, HE’s gotta be better than Perine, right? The coaches know better than I, for sure, but man pass pro from our highly paid RB and his backup was definitely less than desirable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 06:36 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Pollack group 5 sacks looked like last year ..thank god for Mixon on a mission and undisciplined Zimmer team. Let's hope wehet blocking better with a better defense coming up in Chicago

Sample clearly gave up one sack.Hopkins gave up two.Looked like he was out of shape.Other two were miscommunications.I think the running back was supposed to pick up the one that occurred on the left side of the line.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 06:39 PM)Synric Wrote: Most of the pressure was on miss communication whoch will clear up with more snaps the offensive front played well.

(09-12-2021, 06:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: I had two on HB’s.

Yes to both of these.  Burrow had to get the ball out quickly on some throws but better than no time to even do that.

One sack was in overtime, so only four in regulation, and then one was when the middle backer came on a delayed blitz and was just untouched on a free run to tackle Burrow.

One sack (or maybe it was just a pressure) was when our tight end was trying to block an end and he got to Burrow.

It wasn't great, but I was actually surprised by how well our line played.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 07:16 PM)Destro Wrote: Perine looked lost a few times in attempting to block. From Gio to a guy his size, it really is a strange thing.

Agreed. He whiffed on several plays. Let Evans play more.
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 11:16 PM)Boomer Anderson Wrote: Agreed. He whiffed on several plays. Let Evans play more.

Perine was terrible when it came to blocking. I've never seen him be super effective so I don't really get why they keep forcing him into it. At least Mixon provides a little bit more of a threat the defense has to think about. I'm hoping they're just trying to work Mixon in since he missed so much time last year. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 11:21 PM)TheFan Wrote: Perine was terrible when it came to blocking. I've never seen him be super effective so I don't really get why they keep forcing him into it. At least Mixon provides a little bit more of a threat the defense has to think about. I'm hoping they're just trying to work Mixon in since he missed so much time last year. 

And that’s why gio was still valuable to this team. He knew how to pick up blitzes
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 06:39 PM)Synric Wrote: Most of the pressure was on miss communication whoch will clear up with more snaps the offensive front played well.

I thought Pierce beat Hobson twice badly today. Pierce is a beast and Hopkins is rusty, I look for him to bet better each week. Sample got beat as well by Hunter, a very good pass rusher, so that is 3 of the sacks. I aslo thought Perine whiffed on at least 2 pass blocks, he did not block well today at all.

It is more than just the 5 OL, the backs and TE's have to also do their part.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 12:31 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I thought Pierce beat Jobson twice badly today. Pierce is a beast and Hopkins is rusty, I look for him to bet better each week. Sample got beat as well by Hunter, a very good pass rusher, so that is 3 of the sacks. I aslo thought Perine whiffed on at least 2 pass blocks, he did not block well today at all.

It is more than just the 5 OL, the backs and TE's have to also do their part.

Yep. Boyd missed a block today, too.

Reply/Quote
Good news is, it's not the tackles.
Reply/Quote
Wasnt the whole talk about drafting Drew Sample last year being how great of a blocker he was? and how much he could help the running and passing game? Now people are making excuses that he shouldnt be expected to block a Defensive End?
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2021, 09:54 PM)SuperBowlBound Wrote: That is why Mixon is not worth his contract. He is not a 3 down back.

Still trying to shit on the guy after 33 touches for 150 yards?

C'mon man, give me a list of every RB who played 100% of his team's snaps this Sunday.

I'll wait.
Reply/Quote