Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pass rush from the interior suddenly invisible
For interior linemen? They don’t get a lot of sacks over the season, and to make any kind of judgment you’d have to see how quickly the QB is getting rid of the ball now versus then.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 03:54 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: All I'm seeing ITT is people referencing sacks and not total pressure.

Goff was running around when he wasn't getting it out quickly yesterday and that was due to the pressure he (fairly-consistently) faced, even if it didn't amount to a hit or a sack.

The pressure's gone nowhere, we just aren't seeing as many sacks is all.

This is what matters, it is night and day from last year. Sacks aren't everything, pressures are more valuable in many ways same 
with tackles for loss. Sure, I would love us to just continually be Geno in the middle in his prime on every play but we are still damn
good. Sure, Larry O is banged up right now but still saw him make some damn good plays in the Lions game even with this fact.

They aren't invisible, I saw them. Ninja
Reply/Quote
Looks like somebody moved on from Hubbard when facts didn't substantiate their claim. Could this be #2. Whoopsie! Ninja

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 11:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Looks like somebody moved on from Hubbard when facts didn't substantiate their claim. Could this be #2. Whoopsie! Ninja

Hubbard is a stud stopping the run, best in the league IMO.

Actually heard Impactplaya give him props in the other thread for once lol
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 11:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hubbard is a stud stopping the run, best in the league IMO.

Actually heard Impactplaya give him props in the other thread for once lol

Lets see how Hubbard does against containing
His side vs the Ravens Sunday.
I want to.see Hubbard step up and neutralize
Jackson. To.be the best you have stop the best.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 11:55 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Lets see how Hubbard does against containing
His side vs the Ravens Sunday.
I want to.see Hubbard step up and neutralize
Jackson. To.be the best you have stop the best.

Yep, lets see, I like Hubbard's chances being healthy and all unlike last year.
Reply/Quote
I don’t think it has disappeared at all. Maybe the IDL guys aren’t getting home as often but I’m still seeing collapsed pockets and QBs harassed into quick throws quite often. They aren’t Top 5 but they’re playing within the system and doing their jobs, I see them as part of Wilson’s growth as an every down LB as well!
Reply/Quote
So on a week that they hold an opponent to only 36 yards on 18 rushes, you're going to ***** about lack of pass rush.

Unreal.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 04:39 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: So on a week that they hold an opponent to only 36 yards on 18 rushes, you're going to ***** about lack of pass rush.

Unreal.

Holding the Lions to 36 yds rushing is a encouraging
Stat. But let's be real, its the Lions. Its the worst
Offense in the NFL. 
Its oline has been punked all year. 
Lets see if this run defense can hold the Ravens
Run attack to under 100 yds. 
Just cause you hold hold the Lions to under 50
Yds rushing doesnt make your unit elite.
And yeah Im allowed to comment on the lack
Of a consistent interior pass rush. 
Apparently Im not the only one that has noticed it
Cause Goodberry has alluded to it.
The Ravens game will tell you more about this team
Then the Lions game
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 08:37 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Holding the Lions to 36 yds rushing is a encouraging
Stat. But let's be real, its the Lions. Its the worst
Offense in the NFL. 
Its oline has been punked all year. 
Lets see if this run defense can hold the Ravens
Run attack to under 100 yds. 
Just cause you hold hold the Lions to under 50
Yds rushing doesnt make your unit elite.
And yeah Im allowed to comment on the lack
Of a consistent interior pass rush. 
Apparently Im not the only one that has noticed it
Cause Goodberry has alluded to it.
The Ravens game will tell you more about this team
Then the Lions game

Lions  33 49ers  41
Lions  17 Packers 35
Lions 17 Ravens 19
Lions 14 Bears 24
Lions 17 Vikings 19
Lions  11 Bengals 34

Nobody held the Lions to as few points as we did. Nobody put a drubbing on the Lions like we did. And the Lions lost to both the Ravens and Vikings by 2 points. I don't know why there seems to be a need to belittle any thing this team does. 

And we didn't just hold the Lions to under 36 yds. rushing this year. So far, they have basically shut down Dalvin Cook, David Montgomery, Najee Harris and every other RB on the field and held them to much less than their averages. This run defense is legit.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 08:57 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Lions  33 49ers  41
Lions  17 Packers 35
Lions 17 Ravens 19
Lions 14 Bears 24
Lions 17 Vikings 19
Lions  11 Bengals 34

Nobody held the Lions to as few points as we did. Nobody put a drubbing on the Lions like we did. And the Lions lost to both the Ravens and Vikings by 2 points. I don't know why there seems to be a need to belittle any thing this team does. 

And we didn't just hold the Lions to under 36 yds. rushing this year. So far, they have basically shut down Dalvin Cook, David Montgomery, Najee Harris and every other RB on the field and held them to much less than their averages. This run defense is legit.

The Ravens game will tell you if this run defense is
Legit IMO. Don't forget Aaron Jones ran for 100 plus
On this run D. James Robinson was very productive
A couple Thursdays ago. 
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 09:12 AM)impactplaya Wrote: The Ravens game will tell you if this run defense is
Legit IMO. Don't forget Aaron Jones ran for 100 plus
On this run D. James Robinson was very productive
A couple Thursdays ago. 

So what did the Vikings and Bears game tell us holding Cook and Montgomery to 61 yards each. 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 06:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Per stats on Pro-Football-Reference, Ogunjobi only has 2 pressures (1 hurry, 1 sack, 0 knockdowns).
Hill has 4 pressures (3 sacks, 1 hurry, 0 knockdowns).
Reader has 3 pressures (1 sack, 2 knockdowns, 0 hurries).
Tupou 1 pressure (1 knockdown).
That's not getting it done in the passing game.

What is "getting it done in the passing game"?  How many other teams have more sacks hurries, and knock downs from their interior D-linemen.  Unless a team has someone like Aaron Donald i'd say we are getting as much pressure as most other teams from our interior.  

Like I said before, last year only 10 teams had a DT with 4 or more sacks.  But it is hard for me to find team breakdowns based on interior linemen alone.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 08:57 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Nobody held the Lions to as few points as we did. Nobody put a drubbing on the Lions like we did. And the Lions lost to both the Ravens and Vikings by 2 points. I don't know why there seems to be a need to belittle any thing this team does. 

The Playa is getting a little desperate for something to whine about.  Good games prove nothing.  For some reason holding the Lions to a season low in points is a reason to show concern.

Even Hendrickson's elite play so far is a problem because he actually is not that good.Rolleyes

(10-18-2021, 09:29 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Trey Hendrickson has been as advertised.
But we cant continue to depend on him to
Get to the QB on a consistant basis.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 11:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The Playa is getting a little desperate for something to whine about.  Good games prove nothing.  For some reason holding the Lions to a season low in points is a reason to show concern.

Even Hendrickson's elite play so far is a problem because he actually is not that good.Rolleyes

Im not whining at all Fred. Im just seeing aome
Trends that have to be corrected in order to beat upper echelon AFC playoff caliber teams

I never said Hendrickson wasnt good. 
But he isnt going to get you 2 sacks every game
For the next 11 weeks. 
I expect teams to give Trey a constant dose of 
Double teams. 
Somebody else needs to step his game up on the 
Dline and start getting to QB on a more consistant
Basis. The Steelers when healthy have 3 or 4 guys
That can consistently create heat on the QB.
Reply/Quote
3T (draft not looking good at that spot) and CB are big on my defensive wishlist early in the draft (so far).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
According to PFR Jessie Bates as the same amount of Hurries(not total pressure)(2) as our Defensive Tackles do. Also out of 61 total pressures we have 34 of them are Hubbard and Hendrickson. The OP has a legit point that others have to step up their game in the pass rush.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2021, 03:54 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: All I'm seeing ITT is people referencing sacks and not total pressure.

Goff was running around when he wasn't getting it out quickly yesterday and that was due to the pressure he (fairly-consistently) faced, even if it didn't amount to a hit or a sack.

The pressure's gone nowhere, we just aren't seeing as many sacks is all.

Yep

Disruption

It's not a "stat" they keep track of. Only the very best of the best are going to rack up any large numbers in the interior.

But that doesn't mean they aren't good and causing disruption. QB having to move off his spot, rolling a little to the right or left. An interior lineman can disrupt a play and not get credit for a pressure.

It doesn't even have to be a pass play. Even if a run play is going right disruption from the left can still mess up the timing and rhythm of a play and result in blocking assignments getting messed up and the play going for less yards. On and on.

I'm not in any way upset or concerned with our D line play. It's much better than past couple seasons.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 12:31 PM)J24 Wrote: According to PFR Jessie Bates as the same amount of Hurries(not total pressure)(2) as our Defensive Tackles do. Also out of 61 total pressures we have 34 of them are Hubbard and Hendrickson. The OP has a legit point that others have to step up their game in the pass rush.

What I need to see is the pressure numbers on the interior lines of all other NFL teams.

I am noit saying we don't need pressure up the middle.  I just know that most Dts don't get a lot of sacks because that is not really their first priority.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2021, 10:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: What is "getting it done in the passing game"?  How many other teams have more sacks hurries, and knock downs from their interior D-linemen.  Unless a team has someone like Aaron Donald i'd say we are getting as much pressure as most other teams from our interior.  

Like I said before, last year only 10 teams had a DT with 4 or more sacks.  But it is hard for me to find team breakdowns based on interior linemen alone.

An IDL averaging about 1-2 total pressures a game is what I consider "getting it done."

Some individual IDL who are averaging 1+ pressures per game other than Aaron Donald:
Jonathan Allen - 2.3
Quinnen Williams - 1.6
Christian Wilkins - 1.0
John Franklin-Myers - 2.0
Jeffery Simmons - 1.16

Right now, the collection of Ogunjobi+Hill+Reader+Tupou is averaging 1.67 pressure per game combined.

I collected these metrics from pro-football-reference.com

Maybe it's a bad metric to use, but less than one pressure per game feels low to me when it comes to having a good pass rush.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote