Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Passing scheme is average at best.
(01-06-2024, 02:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That sure is a good way to blow over our poor play calling without having anyone take any accountability....

I know it is more about execution in the end, but unpredictability is where it is at along with doing what works.

When you have multiple people calling plays and it is still predictable that is a problem.

At least if you have 1 OC calling the plays to go along with your QB and his checks and reads you can narrow down the problem.

Nate here’s how they do it and a lot of teams.i know this for dead certain 1000%. Zac has different offensive coaches in charge of certain situations. Don’t remember who has what. Dan Pitcher has 3rd and long. Brian has goaline. There are only a few others. Zac wants a second eye. So what happens is only if Zac asks they are supposed to have a play ready if he wants an alternative. So when it comes to third and long Dan is suppose to have one ready Zac may ask for his or not . Joe recently said he asked Zac if he was talking too much on the headset and Zac said don’t worry I hate too much talk on the headset I’ll definitely let you know. This mantra has taken on a life of its own. The Jags do this. The Rams and I don’t know who else. Very normal.

I mean only Bills & KC have finished with a better points per play in both 21 & 22. This year we are #17.

We are very efficient on offense

Since the Ravens:

Points Per Play
Pitt 0.309 Cincy 0.369
Jags 0.341 Cincy 0.339
Colts 0.363 Cincy 0.369
Min 0.324 Cincy 0.339
Pitt 0.297 Cincy 0.334
KC 0.292 Cincy 0.369
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 09:34 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: That too many minds mantra has been totally blown out of the water. That’s not even talked about on the Bengals beat. Don’t know how that got so exaggerated

I don't think most people understand that different coaches have different responsibilities. 3rd and short/long (maybe even one for each), red zone, goal line, etc.

You could have 4 or 5 other guys with specific responsibilites and they don't say anything until that situation arises. It's not like there are 5 guys talking in Zac's ear on every play. Only a first year coach with about 0 experience and a real dummy would have something like that going on. If i'm an experienced play caller then i already have a M.O., with an idea of what i want to do and having someone put a quick suggestion in my ear for me to take 1-2 seconds to ponder is not a big deal.

EDIT: Welp...that's what i get for posting in real time and not reading ahead (never do it, i hate it), re: Sooner's post above.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2024, 05:06 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Points Per Play
Pitt 0.309 Cincy 0.369
Jags 0.341 Cincy 0.339
Colts 0.363 Cincy 0.369
Min 0.324 Cincy 0.339
Pitt 0.297 Cincy 0.334
KC 0.292 Cincy 0.369

Is this stat particularly good? This question is completely detached from any talk about Zac or the Bengals or anything like that. Literally just curious about how good this stat is, as I haven't really heard it used much.... My mind just immediately thinks of this being a first half:

Team 1
3-and-out
3-and-out
8 play TD drive
3-and-out
7 points in 17 plays, 0.41 points per play

Team 2
8 play FG
7 play punt
14 play TD
6 play FG
13 points in 35 plays, 0.37 points per play

Team 2 scored on 3/4 drives, and has a lead, while their defense forced three 3-and-outs. I guess my brain just can't grasp the thought that two 3-and-outs and a 4 play TD drive is considered more efficient than a single 11 play TD drive.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 02:17 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't think most people understand that different coaches have different responsibilities. 3rd and short/long (maybe even one for each), red zone, goal line, etc.

You could have 4 or 5 other guys with specific responsibilites and they don't say anything until that situation arises. It's not like there are 5 guys talking in Zac's ear on every play. Only a first year coach with about 0 experience and a real dummy would have something like that going on. If i'm an experienced play caller then i already have a M.O., with an idea of what i want to do and having someone put a quick suggestion in my ear for me to take 1-2 seconds to ponder is not a big deal.

EDIT: Welp...that's what i get for posting in real time and not reading ahead (never do it, i hate it), re: Sooner's post above.

I know that mantra there was chaos in the headset was so silly.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 02:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Is this stat particularly good? This question is completely detached from any talk about Zac or the Bengals or anything like that. Literally just curious about how good this stat is, as I haven't really heard it used much.... My mind just immediately thinks of this being a first half:

Team 1
3-and-out
3-and-out
8 play TD drive
3-and-out
7 points in 17 plays, 0.41 points per play

Team 2
8 play FG
7 play punt
14 play TD
6 play FG
13 points in 35 plays, 0.37 points per play

Team 2 scored on 3/4 drives, and has a lead, while their defense forced three 3-and-outs. I guess my brain just can't grasp the thought that two 3-and-outs and a 4 play TD drive is considered more efficient than a single 11 play TD drive.

It’s a stat utilized by https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/. My friend..He’s now coaching in the NFL but was at PFF a few years ago turned me on to that staff. It’s obviously an efficiency stat.

Reply/Quote
I wonder what this offense would look like if we had a Swiss Army Knife type reciever to pair with Chase. I know Deebo Samuels don't exactly grow on trees, but this offense could really purr if it had that kinda guy. I like Higgins and his skill set, don't get me wrong. But I feel like a speedy YAC guy would be more valuable in this scheme than a big-bodied receiver like Tee. We've run a lot of short to intermediate stuff the past couple years, either by design or out of necessity, adding another quick twitch WR could open up the playbook even more. When was the last time we've seen the Bengals run a successful reverse? Double reverse? Hell, those sweeps we hand the ball off to Chase that seemingly never work? Having another guy who can do those plays, opens those plays up.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 04:22 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I wonder what this offense would look like if we had a Swiss Army Knife type reciever to pair with Chase.  I know Deebo Samuels don't exactly grow on trees, but this offense could really purr if it had that kinda guy. I like Higgins and his skill set, don't get me wrong. But I feel like a speedy YAC guy would be more valuable in this scheme than a big-bodied receiver like Tee. We've run a lot of short to intermediate stuff the past couple years, either by design or out of necessity, adding another quick twitch WR could open up the playbook even more. When was the last time we've seen the Bengals run a successful reverse? Double reverse? Hell, those sweeps we hand the ball off to Chase that seemingly never work? Having another guy who can do those plays, opens those plays up.

Maybe Chuck Sizzle can be that type of player. I liked those jet sweeps he ran Sunday. We could see more of that from him moving forward. 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I feel as if the passing scheme was too vanilla. But it’s not bad. We made 2 AFCCG and a SB with that “trash” scheme.

My criticism is i didn’t think we featured Tee and Boyd enough. Not enough easy screens to Boyd to keep his hands in rhythm, not enough designed plays to Tee. Just seemed as if we centered around Chase and everyone else was just good enough to eat in a scheme not meant for them.

When a guy gets 100 catches he’s being fed. I thought Boyd still should’ve been around 5-6 TDs and he only had 2 this year. Tee only had 42 catches but he was hurt a lot.

Next year i want to see evolution of our screen game and our vertical offense outside of Chase simply HAS to improve. Teams cannot keep getting away with putting 3 sets of eyes on Chase because they know no other guy can get deep.

I love Irwin but he’s not the WR4 we needs. We need a fast guy in that spot and i anticipate getting more vertical anyway next year because Jones will be slot WR and I’m sure we are drafting a fast boundary WR.

ATP we’ve all gotta admit we aren’t tagging Tee. He’s just not worth 25M even for one year. His real value to me is around 16-18M per. He’s just injured so much he can’t produce consistently. I’d happily sign him back but it’s gonna be like a 3 year 50M deal with most of that guaranteed.

If we trust Tee to get healthy I’d maybe go 4 years 80M but it would be HEAVILY incentive laden.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 12:37 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Maybe Chuck Sizzle can be that type of player. I liked those jet sweeps he ran Sunday. We could see more of that from him moving forward. 
I did like what I saw of him at WR in the finale. He most certainly may be THAT guy. Sure woulda been nice to have seen more of him post-hand injury in the offense, if anything to give a clearer picture of what we have in him and how he fits.
Reply/Quote