Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passing this much is not sustainable
I think we all liked what we saw from the passing attack. Dalton was 35-51 for 418 yards...but he was also sacked 5 times.

That's the big flaw. He'll get sacked and pressured and throw ints throwing that many times.

We'll definitely need to clean up the running game.

Is the line capable of getting push? Seattle struggled against the run last year. I know different seasons in the NFL can yield different results.
Reply/Quote
You mean you don't believe Andy can throw for 6688 yards this season without a boatload of INTs and no run game?  Shocked
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I hear ya but in week 1 it's hard to avoid knee-jerk reactions (though I think I'm all out on the Browns now). I will say if you told me we'd be this happy and optimistic after a loss where we had 51 passes to 14 runs I wouldn't have believed it.

Welp, week 2 is a prime "get right" kinda game.
Reply/Quote
I get your point, but there's a whole lot of opponents who do not have the quality front 7 Seattle does. I think Dalton is going to have time to pick apart a lot of defenses this year, and like him or love him, you have to admit when Andy has time he can carve a defense up.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 09:51 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think we all liked what we saw from the passing attack. Dalton was 35-51 for 418 yards...but he was also sacked 5 times.

That's the big flaw. He'll get sacked and pressured and throw ints throwing that many times.

We'll definitely need to clean up the running game.

Is the line capable of getting push? Seattle struggled against the run last year. I know different seasons in the NFL can yield different results.

They were playing the best set of linebackers in the league. The Seahawks aligned specifically to stop the run so we took what they were giving us by sitting in their base D 71% of the time. It wasn't a coincidence they were throwing as much as they did, but Seattle would not personnel match to get a lighter box so Taylor kept throwing. He did the right thing, you don't run just to run and funny enough the play action was still working. 

Most teams are going to personnel match, especially going forward I expect teams to go super lite in order to stop the pass which should offer a lot of running opportunities. 
Reply/Quote
You’re absolutely right. There was no run game because the run blocking was historically bad. This must be turned around or the season will be very long.

Let’s consider yesterday in perspective; a “snapshot” if you will. Andy Dalton HAD to throw it 51 times. I didn’t like seeing that — and neither did Zac Taylor or Brian Callahan — but with no run game it was the only way to move the ball. I’m not faulting Zac for calling all those pass plays, either, and the fact that he didn’t keep trying the run is commendable because he knew it wasn’t there.

35/51 for 418 yards and two touchdowns is an anomaly. Don’t forget this.
Reply/Quote
Zac went in there with a game plan, and altered to according to what the defense showed him, and Dalton had a career night. This is something we have been clamoring for, for what... 16 years?
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 10:08 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Zac went in there with a game plan, and altered to according to what the defense showed him, and Dalton had a career night. This is something we have been clamoring for, for what... 16 years?

Longer. The coaches before Marvin Lewis were even worse.
Reply/Quote
I agree with an earlier post - the Seahawk's defense dictated our pass-heavy offense yesterday. If they dare you to pass & your passing attack is successful - why not? It wasn't necessary to keep the defense honest with the run, as Dalton & company kept them off balance the entire game.
Reply/Quote
I'm echoing a lot of sentiments here, but the staff took what the defense gave them. As was noted by the commentators, NE neutralized the Rams run game with the same defensive alignment the Seahawks ran yesterday. With no film to go off, Seattle did the next best thing and prepared for a Rams like offense. We didn't bang our head against the wall trying to make our game plan work, the coaches adjusted and threw the hell out of it. It almost worked....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
ZT said we will play to what the defense gives us. Yesterday was the pass.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 10:02 AM)grampahol Wrote: You mean you don't believe Andy can throw for 6688 yards this season without a boatload of INTs and no run game?  Shocked

I'm talking this many attempts.

But, your point was funny.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 10:02 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I hear ya but in week 1 it's hard to avoid knee-jerk reactions (though I think I'm all out on the Browns now).  I will say if you told me we'd be this happy and optimistic after a loss where we had 51 passes to 14 runs I wouldn't have believed it.

Welp, week 2 is a prime "get right" kinda game.

The best part about the Browns loss was how fast their fanbase in the stadium reverted to their old melancholy persona. That stadium had the air sucked out of it.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 10:04 AM)Au165 Wrote: They were playing the best set of linebackers in the league. The Seahawks aligned specifically to stop the run so we took what they were giving us by sitting in their base D 71% of the time. It wasn't a coincidence they were throwing as much as they did, but Seattle would not personnel match to get a lighter box so Taylor kept throwing. He did the right thing, you don't run just to run and funny enough the play action was still working. 

Most teams are going to personnel match, especially going forward I expect teams to go super lite in order to stop the pass which should offer a lot of running opportunities. 

Interestingly, Seattle was pretty terrible against the run last year.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 10:39 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The best part about the Browns loss was how fast their fanbase in the stadium reverted to their old melancholy persona. That stadium had the air sucked out of it.

Yeah, I mean I don't feel badly for them but I certainly know how it feels to think your team has shaken the curse and then they flop and you think "Well...must be nice to be a Steeler fan."  Of course the Steelers look crap now, too.  Hopefully those blowout losses the Steelers and Browns suffered weren't "just what the doctor ordered" or whatever positive bs spin we bring up whenever we get our clocks cleaned, hardy har.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 10:08 AM)Sled21 Wrote: ...and Dalton had a career night.

You mean career DAY.  It was only a 1pm local kickoff time, there.   Tongue
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 10:43 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, I mean I don't feel badly for them but I certainly know how it feels to think your team has shaken the curse and then they flop and you think "Well...must be nice to be a Steeler fan."  Of course the Steelers look crap now, too.  Hopefully those blowout losses the Steelers and Browns suffered weren't "just what the doctor ordered" or whatever positive bs spin we bring up whenever we get our clocks cleaned, hardy har.

The Browns offensive line looks bad.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 10:47 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Browns offensive line looks bad.

Their line was bad.  One guy got ejected and one got injured and it was a mess. Baker apparently left the game with his throwing hand wrapped up.  Look at their upcoming schedule...I think they're dead before the hit the ground.

IT'S OVA!!!!!!  STAY DOWN, KID!!!
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 10:43 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, I mean I don't feel badly for them but I certainly know how it feels to think your team has shaken the curse and then they flop and you think "Well...must be nice to be a Steeler fan."  Of course the Steelers look crap now, too.  Hopefully those blowout losses the Steelers and Browns suffered weren't "just what the doctor ordered" or whatever positive bs spin we bring up whenever we get our clocks cleaned, hardy har.

One would have to think the Steelers will regroup. They always struggle in NE.

But, without AB, Juju gets doubled and their other guys didn't step up. Roethlisberger seemed way out-of-sync with guys.
Reply/Quote
Is there any other combination on the line that we think could improve the run game? Price Right guard? Just throwing out ideas. We did not run much but everytime we ran there was again no lanes except maybe 1 run.
Reply/Quote