Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passing this much is not sustainable
(09-09-2019, 10:45 AM)Tomkat Wrote: You mean career DAY.  It was only a 1pm local kickoff time, there.   Tongue

Sue me.... I live in Louisville, which shows the Colts when they conflict, so I had to watch it on Game Pass.... which means I had to go into media blackout and wait until 8pm to watch it.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 09:51 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think we all liked what we saw from the passing attack. Dalton was 35-51 for 418 yards...but he was also sacked 5 times.

That's the big flaw. He'll get sacked and pressured and throw ints throwing that many times.

We'll definitely need to clean up the running game.

Is the line capable of getting push? Seattle struggled against the run last year. I know different seasons in the NFL can yield different results.

No doubt, the run game has to get better.

But, pretty impressive AD throwing for over 400 yards at Seattle when take into account:

Receivers were Boyd (proven), a rookie Willis and Ross considered a bust by the majority of fans. No AJ Green and Dalton sets a record on road against a tough defense behind what you described all off season a poor OL, believe you said worst in the NFL and a bunch of negative attacks on the OL. 

The OL pass protection gave up 5 sacks, but how many drop backs? How many sacks did Seattle give up at home (4) against how many dropbacks?

Whose OL was better yesterday? The one they got 233 yards or the one over 400 yards.

Shame, Bullock missed the FG or we likely win the game in a hostile environment against a team that rarely loses home openers.

But, lots to build upon and hope Mixon injury is not serious.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
It was impressive to see Dalton elevate his passing to keep the team in the game, but this running game was bad yet again.
It's being reported Mixon has an ankle sprain so that probably takes him out for (at least) one game.
What was once considered a strength of this roster is now quickly becoming a position of need with Anderson's ACL tear, Trayveon Williams out, and now likely Mixon.
I think they'll have to call up Jordan Ellis to back up Bernard.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 10:54 AM)ochocincos Wrote: It was impressive to see Dalton elevate his passing to keep the team in the game, but this running game was bad yet again.
It's being reported Mixon has an ankle sprain so that probably takes him out for (at least) one game.
What was once considered a strength of this roster is now quickly becoming a position of need with Anderson's ACL tear, Trayveon Williams out, and now likely Mixon.
I think they'll have to call up Jordan Ellis to back up Bernard.

Guess it's a good thing we didn't trade Bernard, right?
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 10:55 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Guess it's a good thing we didn't trade Bernard, right?

Guess so, although his 3.0 YPC sure isn't anything to be happy about.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 10:54 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: No doubt, the run game has to get better.

But, pretty impressive AD throwing for over 400 yards at Seattle when take into account:

Receivers were Boyd (proven), a rookie Willis and Ross considered a bust by the majority of fans. No AJ Green and Dalton sets a record on road against a tough defense behind what you described all off season a poor OL, believe you said worst in the NFL and a bunch of negative attacks on the OL. 

The OL pass protection gave up 5 sacks, but how many drop backs? How many sacks did Seattle give up at home (4) against how many dropbacks?

Whose OL was better yesterday? The one they got 233 yards or the one over 400 yards.

Shame, Bullock missed the FG or we likely win the game in a hostile environment against a team that rarely loses home openers.

But, lots to build upon and hope Mixon injury is not serious.

Yes, throwing for 400+ WITHOUT Green is especially impressive. We've seen our offense bog down without Green before. Not yesterday.

Man...I wanted that W though. It was right there for the taking.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 10:56 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Guess so, although his 3.0 YPC sure isn't anything to be happy about.

No, but imagine if we did not have him now, and his ypc was higher than Mixon last night....
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 10:04 AM)Au165 Wrote: They were playing the best set of linebackers in the league. The Seahawks aligned specifically to stop the run so we took what they were giving us by sitting in their base D 71% of the time. It wasn't a coincidence they were throwing as much as they did, but Seattle would not personnel match to get a lighter box so Taylor kept throwing. He did the right thing, you don't run just to run and funny enough the play action was still working. 

Most teams are going to personnel match, especially going forward I expect teams to go super lite in order to stop the pass which should offer a lot of running opportunities. 

I was going to say the same thing. They even pointed at that Seattle, did what the Patriots did in the SB, 6 man fronts. No way are you going to have success running.
Reply/Quote
Dalton had an incredible game.

The o line has been, is and will be the biggest weakness on the team.

Dalton's brains and quick release makes the o line look much better than it is on pass pro.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 11:18 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I was going to say the same thing. They even pointed at that Seattle, did what the Patriots did in the SB, 6 man fronts. No way are you going to have success running.

And if teams want to do that to us all season, let them, and let Dalton carve them up.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 10:40 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interestingly, Seattle was pretty terrible against the run last year.

Seattle was 16th on the year, and Mychal Kendricks only played 4 games last year while dealing with the whole insider trading thing. In games he played they averaged 20 less yards per game on the ground (which was in line with top 5 yards per game averages). Now add in the fact that last year Seattle played Base formation only 34% of the time on average compared to the 71% of the time we saw yesterday, you saw a team who was committed to stopping the run. 

Again, you don't run into heavy boxes just to prove a point. The Seahawks obviously still were respecting the run late as play action was effective in the 4th, so not sure what the issue here is. 
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 11:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And if teams want to do that to us all season, let them, and let Dalton carve them up.

The only knock I can come up with, is the batted passes. Not sure how we fix them, but Seattle is one of the better teams at doing that. 
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 11:24 AM)Au165 Wrote: Seattle was 16th on the year, and Mychal Kendricks only played 4 games last year while dealing with the whole insider trading thing. In games he played they averaged 20 less yards per game on the ground (which was in line with top 5 yards per game averages). Now add in the fact that last year Seattle played Base formation only 34% of the time on average compared to the 71% of the time we saw yesterday, you saw a team who was committed to stopping the run. 

Again, you don't run into heavy boxes just to prove a point. The Seahawks obviously still were respecting the run late as play action was effective in the 4th, so not sure what the issue here is. 

The issue is trying to prove that Zac Taylor was not the right man for the job and that he will fail.  This is a get 'em in while you temporarily still can thread.

How about the fact that the HC stated he wasn't sure what Seattle would do on defense, so they had more than one plan in place and they went ahead and picked the proper one?  Sounds like some pretty sophisticated thinking to me.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 11:28 AM)McC Wrote:
The issue is trying to prove that Zac Taylor was not the right man for the job and that he will fail.
  This is a get 'em in while you temporarily still can thread.

How about the fact that the HC stated he wasn't sure what Seattle would do on defense, so they had more than one plan in place and they went ahead and picked the proper one?  Sounds like some pretty sophisticated thinking to me.

I said for ZT, we needed change and wait if see if ZT is a solid NFL coach or just a new HC for us.

I know we lost and yes some of his decisions did not work out, but in the end he went into a hostile environment and coached well enough to beat a seasoned HC in Pete Carroll

ZT had the team ready and we were one play (FG) away from pulling huge upset. So, L am leaning in a positive direction on ZT who I am rooting to be the next BB.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 11:28 AM)McC Wrote: The issue is trying to prove that Zac Taylor was not the right man for the job and that he will fail.  This is a get 'em in while you temporarily still can thread.

I was somewhat impressed with ZT, when Andy lost control of that pass and it fell into the DT's arms. He just looked at Andy and made a goofy smile and shrugged. If that doesn't tell you, he's not overwhelmed, then you're dead above the neckline. Maybe we should call him "Cool Hand Zac" or something....
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 11:46 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I was somewhat impressed with ZT, when Andy lost control of that pass and it fell into the DT's arms. He just looked at Andy and made a goofy smile and shrugged. If that doesn't tell you, he's not overwhelmed, then you're dead above the neckline. Maybe we should call him "Cool Hand Zac" or something....

I think the only people who don't see what this guy is all about are the ones choosing not to.  They just need more proof and the proof will come.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
We were not running against Seattle, especially after mixon got hurt. ZT did exactly what he was supposed to do in the game by throwing it that much. The play calling was great imo and if it were not for a bs penalty and a missed fg we would have won after being 9 point underdogs.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 10:03 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I get your point, but there's a whole lot of opponents who do not have the quality front 7 Seattle does. I think Dalton is going to have time to pick apart a lot of defenses this year, and like him or love him, you have to admit when Andy has time he can carve a defense up.

This.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 11:28 AM)McC Wrote: The issue is trying to prove that Zac Taylor was not the right man for the job and that he will fail.  This is a get 'em in while you temporarily still can thread.

Seattle gave up 4.9 ypc last year which was 4th worst in the NFL. It's not like that's a made up statistic. They were bad against the run LAST YEAR.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/opp.htm
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2019, 12:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Seattle gave up 4.9 ypc last year which was 4th worst in the NFL. It's not like that's a made up statistic. They were bad against the run LAST YEAR.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/opp.htm

Things always change from year to year.   They were certainly not bad against the run yesterday.  At least the offense didn't keep trying to force the issue when it clearly wasn't going to happen. 

We just needed one more TD from outside the red zone.  It was too hard to score on them when the field got reduced inside the 20.  If only DreK didn't get tackled by the turf monster...

Reply/Quote