Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Password Managers
Is anyone using a password manager app? If so, which one, do you like it, and do you feel it provides the security promised?

I am considering, and think I am down to 2 possibilities....LastPass, or Dashlane.

Thoughts, ideas, recommendations?
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 09:59 AM)Beaker Wrote: Is anyone using a password manager app? If so, which one, do you like it, and do you feel it provides the security promised?

I am considering, and think I am down to 2 possibilities....LastPass, or Dahlane.

Those apps are conceptually secure from what I've read, just make sure your phone itself is physically secure with a lock or at least make sure you have to log in to the app itself, otherwise you're in deep if you lose your phone.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 09:59 AM)Beaker Wrote: Is anyone using a password manager app? If so, which one, do you like it, and do you feel it provides the security promised?

I am considering, and think I am down to 2 possibilities....LastPass, or Dahlane.

Pffft. I'm smart enough to remember my passwords. Just use the same password for everything, man!  ThumbsUp
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 01:47 PM)treee Wrote: Those apps are conceptually secure from what I've read, just make sure your phone itself is physically secure with a lock or at least make sure you have to log in to the app itself, otherwise you're in deep if you lose your phone.

You have to set a master password or PIN for the app, so if you set a good one, you should be safe. Plus you can get in on your PC and change it if you lose the phone.

What I want to know is if anyone has or is using one and how they like it.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 03:22 PM)Beaker Wrote: You have to set a master password or PIN for the app, so if you set a good one, you should be safe. Plus you can get in on your PC and change it if you lose the phone.

I used to use Dashlane and I have colleagues that use LastPass. Both are fairly easy to use and I don't have any good reason for why I stopped using Dashlane. I am thinking about going back to LastPass myself as that seems to be the one preferred by IT folks on my campus. I won't be able to be of much help on the app functionality front as when I used these products, that wasn't the trend, yet. But as far as use on your computer for storing passwords and such, both of them work very well. Their auto-generated passwords are also pretty good.

FWIW: https://www.asecurelife.com/dashlane-vs-lastpass-vs-1password-vs-roboform-vs-keepass/
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Nope i'd never put all my passwords in one place other than my head.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 03:22 PM)Beaker Wrote: You have to set a master password or PIN for the app, so if you set a good one, you should be safe. Plus you can get in on your PC and change it if you lose the phone.

Just don't set that PIN to 12345 - that's something an idiot would put on his luggage.
Well your honor, we've plenty of hearsay and conjecture, those are kinds of evidence. - Lionel Hutz
Reply/Quote
I keep all my passwords on a printed sheet of paper, or in my head.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 09:59 AM)Beaker Wrote: Thoughts, ideas, recommendations?

I use Ludden

[Image: PWP04+%2528500x376%2529.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 02:36 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Pffft. I'm smart enough to remember my passwords. Just use the same password for everything, man!  ThumbsUp

iphonessuck is a good one ThumbsUp    LOL 

Mellow
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
AD2AJ46
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2018, 10:17 AM)fuzzychin Wrote: Just don't set that PIN to 12345 - that's something an idiot would put on his luggage.

"That's amazing! That's the same combination I have on my luggage!"
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I use old addresses to base my passwords on..
An example: 1234 N Main Street   Cincinnati Ohio 45203 would be something like 1234NmsC,o03  it has numbers Caps, comma etc and is easy to remember, hard to crack.. 
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2018, 06:49 PM)Millhouse Wrote: iphonessuck is a good one ThumbsUp    LOL 

Mellow

My iTunes password for a long time was Applesucks1

I haven't had the issue lately, but my first few offices all used Apple Keychain. So, basically, whoever set up the computer put all the passwords in and no one could ever change them. Which meant you couldn't fix programs, install new software, etc., since they only kept IT guys 5-6 months at a time. 
Reply/Quote
Can't you just get a Common Access Card (CAC) and a reader and log into sites using CAC and a pin?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Does anyone know how password managers connect with multiple devices? For example, if I set up the app on my phone, how does it communicate with my PC when I go to sites there?
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2019, 12:24 AM)Beaker Wrote: Does anyone know how password managers connect with multiple devices? For example, if I set up the app on my phone, how does it communicate with my PC when I go to sites there?

I'd think you'd have to download it on the PC, too. 
Reply/Quote
I use old addresses of places I've lived at over the years for passwords. It's pretty secure, tough to guess and very easy to remember, etc..
Example: Suppose you used to live at 385 N Main Street, Toledo, Ohio 47345 (I don't know the Toledo zip codes so I'm just guessing and probably wrong) I might make my password 385NmsTo,45, perhaps 385nMs,TO473 ..I typically just use the last few numbers of zip codes, but it can be any part of them.
You can't really go wrong because many sites require upper and lower case, often a symbol such as a comma, ~+%..(whatever symbol you prefer) and numbers. Banks are big on this and most sites have minimum characters that can be used, usually a min of 8. My most common pw has 12 characters.
Anyway..Old addresses are easy to remember and you have unlimited configurations of ways to set them up as long as you remember which parts are upper case, lower and so on.. I switch up the case often enough.. No need for a password keeper this way.. Just remember where you used to live. Wink
My early pw's were even simpler, 103cit60, but I began adding different case, symbols and so on. My wife hates my system, but I always remember them.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote