Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pat Sims close to signing?
All I'm saying is...if the plan is to not sign a WR, draft a guy in the 2nd/3rd and the 5th/6th, and roll with those guys, Wright, Alford, Tate and Kumerow, that weakness will show more than it would if we cut Peko, replaced him with Sims/draftee/draftee and signed a solid veteran WR.

I guess it's my opinion...
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 10:19 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Saw on bengals.com that it's getting close.    Will be nice to get big pat back in the fold.    Solid producer.

Good backup run stuffer. His only problem has been staying healthy. Nice signing, better than bringing back Thompson
who i think might not be worth bringing back. Thompson has a quick first step but that is about all he has shown here.

I sure hope we draft a DT sometime in the Draft though.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 06:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good backup run stuffer. His only problem has been staying healthy. Nice signing, better than bringing back Thompson
who i think might not be worth bringing back. Thompson has a quick first step but that is about all he has shown here.

I think we draft one in round 1. Because a stud will fall. And when we do everyone here will freak out about WR.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 05:58 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: All I'm saying is...if the plan is to not sign a WR, draft a guy in the 2nd/3rd and the 5th/6th, and roll with those guys, Wright, Alford, Tate and Kumerow, that weakness will show more than it would if we cut Peko, replaced him with Sims/draftee/draftee and signed a solid veteran WR.

I guess it's my opinion...

So instead of having nothing behind Green at WR we have nothing behind Geno at DT.

On offense it is easier to hide a weakness by playcalling away from it and throwing more to Eifert and Bernard/Hill.  You can't hide a weakness on defense.  The opposing offense will concentrate their attack on it.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 06:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good backup run stuffer. His only problem has been staying healthy. Nice signing, better than bringing back Thompson

But that first step can be enough to get another man free, whether a lineman or blitzer, or force the runner to change direction in the backfield.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 07:27 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: But that first step can be enough to get another man free, whether a lineman or blitzer, or force the runner to change direction in the backfield.

Thompson was not injured until the very end of the season.  I doubt he has time to be back by training camp.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 10:19 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Saw on bengals.com that it's getting close.    Will be nice to get big pat back in the fold.    Solid producer.

Of methane gas...  (according to the LBs anyway) Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 04:25 PM)magikod Wrote: Pat Sims>Peko
No way.. look at Peko performance last year.. he had a very solid year.. i believe 5 sacks.. played a lot.. was part of a very good defense last year.. I like Sims when healthy for the run but was hurt a bit last year.,. lets hope he stays healthy
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 08:22 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: No way.. look at Peko performance last year.. he had a very solid year.. i believe 5 sacks.. played a lot.. was part of a very good defense last year.. I like Sims when healthy for the run but was hurt a bit last year.,. lets hope he stays healthy

Peko played roughly half of the defensive snaps.  The staff learned that he was much better in smaller doses.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Peko is like Maualuga. People on here like to complain about how bad they are, until they are not there, and the defense suffers greatly because of their absence. Peko will not be easily replaced.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 08:51 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Peko is like Maualuga. People on here like to complain about how bad they are, until they are not there, and the defense suffers greatly because of their absence. Peko will not be easily replaced.

Like when everyone hated Justin Smith.... Until he left.
Reply/Quote
It's official...

Quote:The Bengals have re-signed a fourth member of their 2015 defense.

The team announced Wednesday that defensive tackle Pat Sims will be back with the team. He joins safety George Iloka, cornerback Adam Jones and linebacker Vincent Rey as free agents who opted to stay put this offseason.

Sims entered the league as a Bengals third-round pick in 2008 and left for two years with the Raiders before returning to the Bengals last season. Sims played eight games and picked up 16 tackles as part of the team’s defensive line rotation.

With Geno Atkins and Domata Peko still in the fold, Sims figures to be in a reserve role again in 2016. Defensive tackle Brandon Thompson is a free agent coming off of a torn ACL and the injury may mean more playing time for Sims whether Thompson joins the crew of Bengals who are sticking around for another year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/16/bengals-re-sign-pat-sims/
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 06:26 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I think we draft one in round 1.   Because a stud will fall.   And when we do everyone here will freak out about WR.

I would love that myself. We get a stud DT next to Geno and look the **** out people!

We can get a speedy WR in the 2nd. BPA here and if a top 15 pick falls to us you take him.

Just like if a top receiver fell to us you take him and then go with a DT in the 2nd.

Lot of great DT's in this draft and i would absolutely go spit if we don't draft one some time.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 11:01 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: It's official...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/16/bengals-re-sign-pat-sims/

Good, i like Sims, always have. Thompson is still coming off of injury so that has to be acknowledged as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 07:27 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: But that first step can be enough to get another man free, whether a lineman or blitzer, or force the runner to change direction in the backfield.

True, it is a very good attribute in any DL let alone a DT.

Thompson might be back competing but with his late injury as Fred says it is not likely.

Plus i liked what i saw from Hardison and Deshawn Williams last Preseason and i hope we draft a DT too.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 02:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would love that myself. We get a stud DT next to Geno and look the **** out people!

We can get a speedy WR in the 2nd. BPA here and if a top 15 pick falls to us you take him.

Just like if a top receiver fell to us you take him and then go with a DT in the 2nd.

Lot of great DT's in this draft and i would absolutely go spit if we don't draft one some time.

I think if one of the Alabama DT's fall they will choose them.

Although if Treadwell or Coleman somehow makes it down to them I hope they take them.
Reply/Quote
im going to laugh so hard when all you first round DT guys cry like babies when they don't draft one.  Peko is going no where this year and im glad sims is back for another round; the team always plays better when he's on it.  that dude said keep pat sims / draftee / draftee  Hilarious  Hilarious  Hilarious

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
You need to remember that in our defense we use a two gap DT (a NT) next to a one gap DT (penetrator). Sims rotates into the NT spot with Peko. Where we need help is someone to rotate with Geno. Plus, remember that our run defense issues were not on interior runs but rather on runners getting out to the edge on us. That goes on DE and OLB.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 04:16 PM)Okeana Wrote: im going to laugh so hard when all you first round DT guys cry like babies when they don't draft one.  Peko is going no where this year and im glad sims is back for another round; the team always plays better when he's on it.  that dude said keep pat sims / draftee / draftee  Hilarious  Hilarious  Hilarious

[Image: jaguars-fan-gif.gif]
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 04:16 PM)Okeana Wrote: im going to laugh so hard when all you first round DT guys cry like babies when they don't draft one.  Peko is going no where this year and im glad sims is back for another round; the team always plays better when he's on it.  that dude said keep pat sims / draftee / draftee  Hilarious  Hilarious  Hilarious

I am not saying we will pick a DT in the first round, but Peko is only signed through this year.  Just like Whitworth and Smith were when we took OTs with our first two picks last year.

So your logic fails.
Reply/Quote