Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pat Sims monster hit
(08-18-2015, 01:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  Sims is more talented than Peko, sorry.

Sorry, but no he isn't.

Sims has been around the NFL for years.  He has been a free agent twice and analyzed by every coaching staff in the league who needed a DT.  None of them have ever considered him to be any sort of top talent.

It is one thing for you to brag about being smarter about football than one teams NFL coaching staff.  But it gets a little silly when you claim to be smarter than every single coach in the NFL.

Mike Zimmer continued to sing the praises of Peko even after he had moved on to the Vikings, but I guess you know more about NFL defensive players than him also.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 01:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Shedding blockers and getting to the ball carrier is a major part of the job for DTs.  Bad DTs don't get off blocks, or when they do they can't get to the ball carrier.

This is what makes Peko good at his job.  He consistently finishes in the top 10 in tackles by interior defensive linemen

2014...10th
2013....9th
2012....5th
2011....2nd

PlayerA - 10th in tackles - when he's not actually tackling someone, he's getting pushed around consistently.

PlayerB - 15th in tackles - when he's not actually tackling someone, he's still winning his battle and not creating gaps.

Give me PlayerB every day of the week. Peko falls into the trap of being an NT like PlayerA (and has for at least 2 years now), so that people like Fred can act like they know everything about NT play by using 1 handpicked stat to judge a guy on.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 01:47 PM)djs7685 Wrote: people like Fred can act like they know everything about NT play by using 1 handpicked stat to judge a guy on.

I don't just use one hand picked stat.  i also use quotes from Mike Zimmer and the defensive stats of the team Peko has played for.

It is a lot stronger argument than making up imaginary guys like "Player B".
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 01:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't just use one hand picked stat.  i also use quotes from Mike Zimmer and the defensive stats of the team Peko has played for.

It is a lot stronger argument than making up imaginary guys like "Player B".

It was just an example to show that tackles =/= the most important thing for a NT to do. If you play in 600 snaps, the difference between having 40 tackles and 25 tackles is barely anything to worry about. I'm MUCH more concerned about how they're playing in those other 550+ snaps than purely judging them on the 40 where they made the play.

Does that make sense to you? Or do you just want to run with the "coaches know more so shut the boards down because no one can have an opinion if they aren't agreeing with the coaches" bullshit?
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 01:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sorry, but no he isn't.

Sims has been around the NFL for years.  He has been a free agent twice and analyzed by every coaching staff in the league who needed a DT.  None of them have ever considered him to be any sort of top talent.

It is one thing for you to brag about being smarter about football than one teams NFL coaching staff.  But it gets a little silly when you claim to be smarter than every single coach in the NFL.

Mike Zimmer continued to sing the praises of Peko even after he had moved on to the Vikings, but I guess you know more about NFL defensive players than him also.

Sims not being a top talent still does not mean he is not more talented than Peko, sorry.

Not saying i know more about NFL defensive players than Zim, that would be silly. I just disagree with him on this one thing.

Sims not only stops the run but as this clip shows can punish a RB. He can also win the LOS more often than Peko who is more
of the type to just take up space and by the way that is not a bad thing and is probably what Zim was alluding to Peko being
good at. Difference is, Peko looked a lot worse last year than when Zim was here and Sims is a year or so younger and is not as
much of a one trick pony.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 01:54 PM)djs7685 Wrote: It was just an example to show that tackles =/= the most important thing for a NT to do. If you play in 600 snaps, the difference between having 40 tackles and 25 tackles is barely anything to worry about. I'm MUCH more concerned about how they're playing in those other 550+ snaps than purely judging them on the 40 where they made the play.

Does that make sense to you? Or do you just want to run with the "coaches know more so shut the boards down because no one can have an opinion if they aren't agreeing with the coaches" bullshit?

This is why I also point out that Peko has usually played on a team that was good against the run.  If he was getting blown out of his gap all the time then the team rush defense stats would reflect this.

Especially in short yardage situations.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 01:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is why I also point out that Peko has usually played on a team that was good against the run.  If he was getting blown out of his gap all the time then the team rush defense stats would reflect this.

Especially in short yardage situations.

And some of the stats have shown that. Some haven't.

I provided a bunch in the other threads. It's hard to say with team stats judging an individual player, we've been through this before.

Peko isn't good anymore. You saying otherwise doesn't change that. Sorry for hurting his feelings? I don't know. You should try defending guys that are actually good sometime. I don't know why you feel the need to defend the worst starters we have. Is that the lawyer in you, gotta defend the people that you know don't deserve it??
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 01:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He can also win the LOS more often than Peko who is more of the type to just take up space and by the way that is not a bad thing and is probably what Zim was alluding to Peko being good at. 

Peko has 8.5 sacks over the last 4 years while Sims has only 7 in his entire 7 year career.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 02:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Peko has 8.5 sacks over the last 4 years while Sims has only 7 in his entire 7 year career.

How in the bloody hell does that disprove the theory that Sims wins his defensive matchup more often than Peko does now?

We're talking about hundreds of snaps in recent years and you bring up career sack totals. Uhhhh....what?
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 02:03 PM)djs7685 Wrote: And some of the stats have shown that. Some haven't.

I provided a bunch in the other threads. It's hard to say with team stats judging an individual player, we've been through this before.

Peko isn't good anymore. You saying otherwise doesn't change that. Sorry for hurting his feelings? I don't know. You should try defending guys that are actually good sometime. I don't know why you feel the need to defend the worst starters we have. Is that the lawyer in you, gotta defend the people that you know don't deserve it??

Yeah, right.  You are the smart one and Mike Zimmer and I are stupid. Rolleyes

I have plenty of experience defending bad players like Justin Smith and Leon Hall when many people here like you claimed that they were garbage.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 02:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, right.  You are the smart one and Mike Zimmer and I are stupid. Rolleyes

I have plenty of experience defending bad players like Justin Smith and Leon Hall when many people here like you claimed that they were garbage.

No, Mike Zimmer isn't stupid, the other half of that? Ehhhhhhh.

I've always defended Smith and Leon Hall is my favorite player on the team in which I've been admittedly pretty biased about. So, no, "people like me" never said they were garbage.

Is every coach in the NFL 100% correct about everything they ever say or do? Or does the "but he's a COACH!!!!!!" excuse only come up when you happen to agree with what they say? Oh, I wonder. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 02:13 PM)djs7685 Wrote: How in the bloody hell does that disprove the theory that Sims wins his defensive matchup more often than Peko does now?

We're talking about hundreds of snaps in recent years and you bring up career sack totals. Uhhhh....what?

Okay, so tackles don't mean anything and sacks don't mean anything and Mike Zimmer's opinion doesn't mean anything.  Care to tell me what does mean something?  

Maybe the opinions of a bunch of guys on a message board who never even played football beyond the high school level?
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 02:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Okay, so tackles don't mean anything and sacks don't mean anything and Mike Zimmer's opinion doesn't mean anything.  Care to tell me what does mean something?  

Maybe the opinions of a bunch of guys on a message board who never even played football beyond the high school level?

Tackles mean something and sacks mean something, they just don't mean what you want them to mean.

I watched Peko get beat FAR too often in 2014. Did you? If not, you shouldn't be discussing NT or line play in general on these boards anymore. Sorry, not sorry.
Reply/Quote
Peko is not  as bad as PFF claims he is but he is not one of the best nose tackles in the game either( and never has been). Could we improve upon him? Yes! Was Peko the reason why our defense fell off so much last season? No I think the loss of MJ and Vontaz were much bigger deals then Peko's play last season.  Peko is an average player who will greatly benefit from playing next to a fully healthy Geno this season along with Carlos Dunlap and Michael Johnson.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Other teams also don't see what the coaches see. If I'm on another team, Pat Sims looks intimidating. Like...'I want to run to some other gap' intimidating.

And the running back went from gently descending to being spiked into the ground by Sims. I'm surprised he didn't leave an imprint. That was a MONSTER hit.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote