Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Peterson
Dont buy it
Reply/Quote
I guess that asking price was more like a ransom at the end of the day but hell Peterson is only making 11 million a year, we're paying drek almost that amount and that pains me..
Reply/Quote
This obviously would have been a wonderful addition, but I feel that the asking price may have been too steep. Having WJIII and Peterson as the Top 2 corners is a very solid duo. However, on defense, the LBers are a bit more of an issue than DB.

I still would've welcomed Pat with open arms.
Reply/Quote
I'm really not upset that a deal didn't get made. Peterson is a great player, but oh that cost.. If the situation were different, and the Bengals only needed one great player to get over the top, then maybe you pay up that ransom.

However, with apparent needs also at LB, NT, TE, WR, and OL, sacrificing 2 high picks and taking up the salary of a top CB would seem to be counter productive.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I would have traded them 2 First rounders and 1 Second rounder...........Ross, Ced and Jake
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 04:54 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Not just no but F no..... a 1st and 2nd for a corner, when we have decent corners as soon as they are healthy? So basically you all want to give up any hopes of getting a good offensive Guard, a good right tackle, a new Tight End, and the upcoming Defensive Line picks in the next draft are killer. For a corner.... maybe if it were a linebacker who could stop a TE across the middle, but a corner...… really?

I don't understand it either.  Destroy our roster to solidify what is probably our best unit already?  I would have loved to see them get a LB but this would have been stupid.  
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 08:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't understand it either.  Destroy our roster to solidify what is probably our best unit already?  I would have loved to see them get a LB but this would have been stupid.  

Well.....if you're creative, you don't destroy the roster.  You offer a future, DreK, and maybe a lineman or Ross, or a 2nd, and you get a top corner for nearly what you're paying Dre to be middling CB.  If the Cards bit, I don't see how anyone here could complain.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 08:52 AM)Wyche Wrote: Well.....if you're creative, you don't destroy the roster.  You offer a future, DreK, and maybe a lineman or Ross, or a 2nd, and you get a top corner for nearly what you're paying Dre to be middling CB.  If the Cards bit, I don't see how anyone here could complain.

If the deal would have included both bringing in Peterson, AND Dre K heading to the desert, I would have been thrilled.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If there were a LB who is the caliber of Peterson I'd be all over this. He is a great player but we need other positions worse. I believe our pass defense woe's are mostly due to scheme and Austin's mellow, low key demeanor. Just a hunch, and I aint no x's and o's guy, but we just look different under him. We lack a mentality that I think we need.

In fact well after I was already sold on Austin and happy about all the talk of this aggressive system of his, I read an article that said he's very mellow and low key, and that right there kind of ruined it for me. 8 weeks into season my opinion on that is even stronger. We dont need a Bob Ross type coaching D. Not at all.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 09:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If the deal would have included both bringing in Peterson, AND Dre K heading to the desert, I would have been thrilled.

Damn right......

Reply/Quote
What a hilarious thread, no frigging way this came even 5% close to happening.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 08:52 AM)Wyche Wrote: Well.....if you're creative, you don't destroy the roster.  You offer a future, DreK, and maybe a lineman or Ross, or a 2nd, and you get a top corner for nearly what you're paying Dre to be middling CB.  If the Cards bit, I don't see how anyone here could complain.

Well, the fact that Dre has been dealing with an Achilles injury pretty much nixes him in any hypothetical trade.  That's enough to scare off any GM.  Ross is out of the conversation, because he can't pass a physical right now.

I also don't think that trade makes sense to AZ.  They lose an elite CB and gain a worse player at the same position who is banged up and costs the same, a future pick, and another pick or player.  If you're rebuilding, you want cap space and draft picks to move an elite talent, not a couple of decent overpaid players.  
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 09:48 AM)bengaloo Wrote: If there were a LB who is the caliber of Peterson I'd be all over this. He is a great player but we need other positions worse. I believe our pass defense woe's are mostly due to scheme and Austin's mellow, low key demeanor. Just a hunch, and I aint no x's and o's guy, but we just look different under him. We lack a mentality that I think we need.

In fact well after I was already sold on Austin and happy about all the talk of this aggressive system of his, I read an article that said he's very mellow and low key, and that right there kind of ruined it for me. 8 weeks into season my opinion on that is even stronger. We dont need a Bob Ross type coaching D. Not at all.

I agree Bengaloo, i want a mean sumbitch coaching our Defense! Whatever
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 12:26 PM)Whatever Wrote: Well, the fact that Dre has been dealing with an Achilles injury pretty much nixes him in any hypothetical trade.  That's enough to scare off any GM.  Ross is out of the conversation, because he can't pass a physical right now.

I also don't think that trade makes sense to AZ.  They lose an elite CB and gain a worse player at the same position who is banged up and costs the same, a future pick, and another pick or player.  If you're rebuilding, you want cap space and draft picks to move an elite talent, not a couple of decent overpaid players.  

That's all true, and things I didn't consider. :andy:

Reply/Quote
Considering Peterson and the Cardinals had a sit down and came out of it with both sides agreeing there would be no trade and Peterson was sold on their vision for the future, I doubt there was ever any negotiating going on, on trade deadline day.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/patrick-peterson-vows-to-help-cardinals-for-years-to-come/article_733db0aa-72ce-5503-a171-8c44be809830.html
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 04:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: "The Bengals could shoot for the stars and offer a massive package of a first-round pick, a future third-round pick, John Ross, and then another capable lineman. Toss in the Cardinals Larry Fitzgerald who could use a solid offense to be productive and you might have the trade of the season."

Wouldn't that be that great?

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/30/patrick-peterson-solve-bengals-defensive-woes-nfl-trade-deadline/

Price is too high for the bengals liking I imagine....  We don't have enough healthy depth anywhere to really offer a player. 
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 04:49 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Price is too high for the bengals liking I imagine....  We don't have enough healthy depth anywhere to really offer a player. 

Right. We are in too much need elsewhere to give up ANY draft picks. The upcoming class is ripe with D linemen and Olinemen. We need 2 DL to replace Glasgow and Lawson (as we have learned, it takes 2 years off of an ACL to be any good to anyone). We need an OG and an OT. We need a TE. We need linebackers. What we don't need is a shiny new corner, who no matter how good he is, can't play those other positions.
Reply/Quote
Meh, with all the talent this board is convinced the Bengals have on both sides of the ball I can't understand why we are so afraid to give up picks to get a known commodity. Just my take.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 05:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, with all the talent this board is convinced the Bengals have on both sides of the ball I can't understand why we are so afraid to give up picks to get a known commodity.  Just my take.

We do have a lot of talent on this team. We also have glaring needs.....
Reply/Quote