Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patriot's trade situation on 3 players: Cap hit too much?
My understanding of our cap situation, with Andy & the picks, is that we are a smidge over. However, that does not take into account displacement, the guys who will/can be released because of who we drafted. Whether that is guys like Price, Redmond, & Schreck or higher priced guys like Dalton, Williams, or Gio.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/

I have no idea what rollover cap is, but they seem to think we do not need to jettison Andy to sign our picks. Though we are $3 million over.

We traditionally do not value guards (Zeitler), but perhaps that has changed with Burrow. We could take various routes to improve the line. Draft: best OT at 33 or Ruiz, or depth guys 3rd round or later (allowing us to waive/trade Price or Redmond). Trade: Thuney or Trent Williams. FA: Jason Peters.

I'd focus quickly on improving the line, toys for Joe (WR, TE, perhaps Gibson or Bowden), and 2-3 picks on D (LB, edge, DL).

Remember, we are also #1 on the waiver wire, and there will be cap casualties. We will need some cap space for that as well. There will be an after draft trade/waive/pickup period as well.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2020, 01:14 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: My understanding of our cap situation, with Andy & the picks, is that we are a smidge over. However, that does not take into account displacement, the guys who will/can be released because of who we drafted. Whether that is guys like Price, Redmond, & Schreck or higher priced guys like Dalton, Williams, or Gio.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/

I have no idea what rollover cap is, but they seem to think we do not need to jettison Andy to sign our picks. Though we are $3 million over.

We traditionally do not value guards (Zeitler), but perhaps that has changed with Burrow. We could take various routes to improve the line. Draft: best OT at 33 or Ruiz, or depth guys 3rd round or later (allowing us to waive/trade Price or Redmond). Trade: Thuney or Trent Williams. FA: Jason Peters.

I'd focus quickly on improving the line, toys for Joe (WR, TE, perhaps Gibson or Bowden), and 2-3 picks on D (LB, edge, DL).

Remember, we are also #1 on the waiver wire, and there will be cap casualties. We will need some cap space for that as well. There will be an after draft trade/waive/pickup period as well.

Roll over cap is that amount we didn't use last year, that rolls over to this year, which for us is around 10M. That's why the NFL salary cap is around 198M, but for us is 208M. 

So basically it's already accounted for in our allotted 'cap space,' at least depending on what number you're looking at. Not sure where you see that we're 3M over. We're under the cap, but would be over once we signed our rookies. So as far as I understand we do need to shed Dalton's salary, *unless* we wildly restructure AJ AND don't extend Mixon, or cut some veterans like Gio/Williams who imo would contribute more than Dalton would this year. 

Excellent point about the waiver wire! Lapham and Hoard pointed that out in a recent Bengals Booth Podcast. That's the case all the way up until at least week two of the season. So when all teams cut down to 55 on cut down day after the last preseason game, we have first dibs on anybody with less than 4 years that doesn't make a team. So basically we need not worried about adding 6th and 7th round picks to fill up the LB room, for example, as we'll do that in August. Same calibre of player, really. 
Reply/Quote