Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patriotic Correctness
I heard that term for the first time over the weekend.

I have a hard time putting a good definition to it.

As I took it it wasn't just the opposite of political correctness, more using patriotism as a cover for being non-pc.

As I was searching for a good definition I found books written on the subject already.

Anyone else heard of it?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Nope.
(10-25-2016, 12:52 PM)GMDino Wrote: I heard that term for the first time over the weekend.

I have a hard time putting a good definition to it.

As I took it it wasn't just the opposite of political correctness, more using patriotism as a cover for being non-pc.

As I was searching for a good definition I found books written on the subject already.

Anyone else heard of it?

I googled it. I found at least three different definitions for it. 

One referred to it as the anti-PC, conservatives rebranding things. So Conservatives will refer to themselves as skeptics, not deniers with regards to Global Warming. Homophobic groups are Pro-Bible/Family. 

One discussed using terms to put a positive spin on things this country does. So civilian casualties in war are collateral damage. 

Another was focused on the overabundance of patriotism since 9/11.

Never heard of it, and, now after googling it, I don't really know what it is. Is there a particular usage you are familiar with that you were hoping to discuss? Not sure I've seen too much of it at all.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-25-2016, 01:06 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I googled it. I found at least three different definitions for it. 

One referred to it as the anti-PC, conservatives rebranding things. So Conservatives will refer to themselves as skeptics, not deniers with regards to Global Warming. Homophobic groups are Pro-Bible/Family. 

One discussed using terms to put a positive spin on things this country does. So civilian casualties in war are collateral damage. 

Another was focused on the overabundance of patriotism since 9/11.

Never heard of it, and, now after googling it, I don't really know what it is. Is there a particular usage you are familiar with that you were hoping to discuss? Not sure I've seen too much of it at all.

I had NPR on Saturday and it came up in a conversation.  I'll have to find the story and the context.  It just stuck with me over the weekend as something I had not heard before.
You didn't end any of your posts with God bless America. Please rectify that.

God bless America
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(10-25-2016, 03:51 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You didn't end any of your posts with God bless America.  Please rectify that.

God bless America

Pretty much how I took it from the show.

I'm also not wearing a flag pin.  Smirk
(10-25-2016, 03:51 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You didn't end any of your posts with God bless America.  Please rectify that.

God bless America

That's how I understand the term. It is an inverted form of political correctness applied by nationalists to
speech and behavior that is not "patriotic" enough. 

E.g., if you want to give asylum to Guatemalan children who have walked all the way to the US, you
would not be putting Americans first.

When people complain that women and minorities are denigrated in right wing discourse, you counter
with the claim that we are all Americans first.  All lives matter!

Carry that a step further and insist people who call foul on racist language and behavior are the "real racists"
playing the race card.