Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patriots Not Considering Dalton
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/22/report-patriots-not-discussing-andy-dalton/

According to PFT, Dalton is not and never has been under consideration by the Patriots.

If true, then it looks at this point like we'll be releasing Andy unless we work out a trade with one of the few teams that still need a QB. Maybe the Jags?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If there is no present market, then we should consider keeping him until there is. QB's go down all the time. There is probably an even chance that some team will be desperate before the trading deadline and make a better than market offer. See Carson Palmer holdout. Granted there is no idiot Hugh Jacksons out there right now but a team with no strong backup with a playoff season in the works may pull that trigger.

Wouldn't hurt to have mentor for Jeaux, tensions not withstanding of a starter helping his replacement. Andy is a high character individual and he knows MB is fair to his players, probably the owner most worthy of being called a "player's owner".....(least worthy of being called a coach's owner), and knows he will accommodate him as best he can within the framework of considering the entire team. I really can't see him pulling a CP or being a malign influence.
Reply/Quote
I think even if we release him, there's still a chance we could pick him up as a backup.  After the draft is over, we should have our answer on whether or not a trade is possible.   In previous years, when the QB market wasn't so saturated, there's a possibility we could've have moved him.  There's no way this year.  Teams have to ask themselves, "If he can't start for the 2-14 Bengals, why should we consider him?"  

It sucks the Bears didn't bite, but it was just going to be a low round pick anyway, so it's not the end of the world.  Basically, if I was MB, I would tell Andy we were releasing him before June 1st and that he is free to test the market but we would have a spot for him in a backup role here.  I'm willing to bet he'd rather be a backup here then up and move his family for another backup role somewhere else.  He will get picked up somewhere, just not as a starter.  I see him as a great mentor for Burrow and I don't think he'd create a situation where Burrow would always be looking over his shoulder.

BTW, I hate our backup options in Finely and Dolegala.  Burrow goes down, our season is over.  Those guys are terrible.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 08:41 AM)dr tarzan Wrote: If there is no present market, then we should consider keeping him until there is.  QB's go down all the time.  There is probably an even chance that some team will be desperate before the trading deadline and make a better than market offer.  See Carson Palmer holdout.  Granted there is no idiot Hugh Jacksons out there right now but a team with no strong backup with a playoff season in the works may pull that trigger.

Wouldn't hurt to have mentor for Jeaux, tensions not withstanding of a starter helping his replacement.  Andy is a high character  individual and he knows MB is fair to his players, probably the owner most worthy of being called a "player's owner".....(least worthy of being called a coach's owner), and knows he will accommodate him as best he can within the framework of considering the entire team.  I really can't see him pulling a CP or being a malign influence.

I think they need to release him because of his salary.  I don't really understand salary cap, etc.   And I'm not sure it would work out with him as a mentor because he's been the starter here for years.  It might be asking too much.
Reply/Quote
I don’t think Mike Brown cuts the franchise passing TD record holder.

As they would say we are not in the business of making other teams better.

As much shit as I have given Dalton these last few years doesn’t change the fact he is an average starting NFL QB. There are not many of them and they are valuable. He is healthy with no long term health concerns.

We are more than likely looking at a shortened offseason. Dalton started his career here bailing us out of a strike shortened offseason to make the playoffs.

He was granted permission to seek a trade months ago. Nothing yet. If nothing comes to fruition he is established here and has started a family here. I know he wants to be a starter but multi million dollar clip board holder jobs are hard to come by. I don’t think he would force his way out.

I would love to use the money on more free agents or extensions. But I don’t want to cut a player as valuable as a starting QB.
Reply/Quote
That article is based on opinion and not factual.

Just as reports of teams being interested in Dalton... it's speculation.

If NE actually wants Dalton a deal can be made.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
And I think this was an intentionally leaked story to get Mike Brown to come off his crazy high asking price.
Reply/Quote
The jags signed Mariota. They wouldn't have done that if they were considering Dalton.

Chicago took files and his salary for some unknown reason.

If the pats don't want Dalton then I think we're stuck. It's release him or be saddled with his salary at this point. With our recent signings and cap space we can't keep him on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 09:33 AM)motoarch Wrote: The jags signed Mariota. They wouldn't have done that if they were considering Dalton.

If the pats don't want Dalton then I think we're stuck. It's release him or be saddled with his salary at this point. With our recent signings and cap space we can't keep him on the roster.

Mariota signed with Oakland. That said, Jags would not have traded Foles if they wanted another big money qb in the room. They are all in with Minshew Mania.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 09:40 AM)Jeaux Smooth Wrote: Mariota signed with Oakland. That said, Jags would not have traded Foles if they wanted another big money qb in the room. They are all in with Minshew Mania.

I don’t really think of Dalton as big money. He’s middle of the road money isn’t he?
Reply/Quote
Fact or not the bengals should have considered this as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 08:41 AM)dr tarzan Wrote: If there is no present market, then we should consider keeping him until there is.  QB's go down all the time.  There is probably an even chance that some team will be desperate before the trading deadline and make a better than market offer.  See Carson Palmer holdout.  Granted there is no idiot Hugh Jacksons out there right now but a team with no strong backup with a playoff season in the works may pull that trigger.

Wouldn't hurt to have mentor for Jeaux, tensions not withstanding of a starter helping his replacement.  Andy is a high character  individual and he knows MB is fair to his players, probably the owner most worthy of being called a "player's owner".....(least worthy of being called a coach's owner), and knows he will accommodate him as best he can within the framework of considering the entire team.  I really can't see him pulling a CP or being a malign influence.

Agree.  Getting 17 million off the books would be great but getting nothing in return stupid.  Keeping Dalton is not as bad as some think for a couple of reasons:

1)  No better person to mentor a rookie QB.  Dalton is very football smart and won't disrespect Burrow for being taken to replace him; it's just not in his nature or faith to do that.  Heck, they'd probably become friends like Kitna and Carton.  

There's a lot to be said for being a mentor.  In a way it helps you stay engaged even though the end of your career is near.  I could see Dalton being this type of person, sitting on his couch watching his protege lead the Bengals into the future.  

2) Some QB will go down early in the season and a team will be desperate (like was mentioned above).  If this happens you don't get the benefits of #1 for the whole season but you do get draft collateral in return.

I don't see it as a negative if we keep Dalton and think it'd be silly to outright release him.  I'm sure that's what a lot of  other teams would like us to do.  Make no mistake about it, they'd jump all over him if he was available and they didn't have to give up anything.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 09:33 AM)motoarch Wrote: The jags signed Mariota.  They wouldn't have done that if they were considering Dalton.

If the pats don't want Dalton then I think we're stuck.  It's release him or be saddled with his salary at this point.  With our recent signings and cap space we can't keep him on the roster.

Chicago is tough to understand.  I think that they just feel like a QB should make at least "X" amount of money, as just last Fall they were about to sign Trubisky to an extension for big boy money.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 10:07 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Agree.  Getting 17 million off the books would be great but getting nothing in return stupid.  Keeping Dalton is not as bad as some think for a couple of reasons:

1)  No better person to mentor a rookie QB.  Dalton is very football smart and won't disrespect Burrow for being taken to replace him; it's just not in his nature or faith to do that.  Heck, they'd probably become friends like Kitna and Carton.  

There's a lot to be said for being a mentor.  In a way it helps you stay engaged even though the end of your career is near.  I could see Dalton being this type of person, sitting on his couch watching his protege lead the Bengals into the future.  

2) Some QB will go down early in the season and a team will be desperate (like was mentioned above).  If this happens you don't get the benefits of #1 for the whole season but you do get draft collateral in return.

I don't see it as a negative if we keep Dalton and think it'd be silly to outright release him.  I'm sure that's what a lot of  other teams would like us to do.  Make no mistake about it, they'd jump all over him if he was available and they didn't have to give up anything.

Absolutely correct.
Reply/Quote
Idk why many of you are so sure Dalton would be happy to be a backup. He was publicly upset when they didn’t trade him at the deadline, and made it clear he wants to still be a starter. That was after we benched him on his birthday. Then the whole “not real fans” bs he was whining about at the end of the season when fans were rooting to lose for Burrow. We. Need. To. Move. On.

Reply/Quote
I was all in on the cut him camp. I'm starting to think as has been said, it might be smart to just keep him now. 1. Are there any free agents left out there we're going after ? 2. Again like has been said, somebodies QB will go down in week 3 and we might be able to get a lot better pick than he actually rates ?

With every passing day it's a lot less likely he's gonna get traded.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 10:35 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I was all in on the cut him camp. I'm starting to think as has been said, it might be smart to just keep him now. 1. Are there any free agents left out there we're going after ? 2. Again like has been said, somebodies QB will go down in week 3 and we might be able to get a lot better pick than he actually rates ?

Let's face it, Dalton is a low paid starting QB by today's contracts and would be a high paid back up QB by today's standards.

We don't have a legit back up or a QB that could have any shot at beating at Burrow week 1. So, if the right offer does not come along, ask AD to restructure his contract, give him a 2 year deal for 40 million, but with only 15 million guaranteed. This would reduce the cap hit and give us a viable mentor and back up (best back up in the NFL either way).

No way if the cut/trade AD they can roll with our current back ups so they will have to spend for a legit back up.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 10:18 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Idk why many of you are so sure Dalton would be happy to be a backup. He was publicly upset when they didn’t trade him at the deadline, and made it clear he wants to still be a starter. That was after we benched him on his birthday. Then the whole “not real fans” bs he was whining about at the end of the season when fans were rooting to lose for Burrow. We. Need. To. Move. On.

Yes

The smart thing to do would have been to trade him before the deadline. But.......they decided it would be better to at least try to win a couple games in 2019 rather than look down the road. 

Now it appears they've basically painted themselves into a corner with him. Their only card left may be the hope they can trade him due to injury ?

That said I'm not opposed to just cutting him.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 10:35 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I was all in on the cut him camp. I'm starting to think as has been said, it might be smart to just keep him now. 1. Are there any free agents left out there we're going after ? 2. Again like has been said, somebodies QB will go down in week 3 and we might be able to get a lot better pick than he actually rates ?

Possibly. There’s also guys that will get released from other teams that we might want to pick up. I guess we could cut Kirkpatrick, but I’d rather have a decent depth CB, than a really expensive backup QB. We’re not making a run with Andy Dalton anyway.

Reply/Quote
I think the Jags are going to tank for Trevor and thus won't want Dalton in case he can win some games.
Reply/Quote