Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patriots Not Considering Dalton
(03-22-2020, 11:08 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I think the Jags are going to tank for Trevor and thus won't want Dalton in case he can win some games.

Idk...Minshew won 3x as many games as Dalton did last season...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 10:35 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I was all in on the cut him camp. I'm starting to think as has been said, it might be smart to just keep him now. 1. Are there any free agents left out there we're going after ? 2. Again like has been said, somebodies QB will go down in week 3 and we might be able to get a lot better pick than he actually rates ?

With every passing day it's a lot less likely he's gonna get traded.

Yes, there are a few guys left out there.  One that I would really like to see the Bengals make a play for, is Markus Golden.  He's an OLB/Edge rusher.  He suffered an ACL back in 2017, but appears to have made a full comeback.  

Last year he put up 72 tackles, 10 sacks, 27 QB hits, 13 TFL, and returned one fumble for TD.

Originally drafted by the Cardinals, he looked to be emerging into stardom before the ACL slowed him up.  The Giants signed him to a 1 yr deal, and he did fantastic.  He's the type of LB/Edge defender the Bengals will be needing in their 3-4 hybrid style defense.  In order to make a serious play for Golden, the Bengals would likely need to have either Dalton's or one of the CB's salary off of the books for this season.  I'm thinking that Golden will be looking for a long term deal with significant guaranteed money.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I was hoping we’d be able to find a trade partner for Dalton and get a mid round pick back. Sucks that it hasn’t happened, but I see no real need to release him at this point. I’d keep him to mentor burrow (hopefully only for a few weeks) and wait to see if any other QB’s get hurt early on (you know there will be some). Cutting him at this point really won’t help him much as most starting QB spots have been filled. This offseason would have been a lot better for us if the old guys like Brady, Rivers and Brees retired instead of coming back for another year.
Reply/Quote
I have a feeling NE isn't considering Andy due to Cam Newton. Carolina can't pay both Cam and Teddy, and Teddy doesn't need a veteran mentor. So with or without a trade, Cam is gone. Why would NE give up a pick or player for Dalton when they could offer Cam a prove it deal on the open market? Then only thing that would throw a wrench into that is if Rivera were interested in bringing in a FA Newton to compete with and mentor Haskins.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 11:36 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I have a feeling NE isn't considering Andy due to Cam Newton.  Carolina can't pay both Cam and Teddy, and Teddy doesn't need a veteran mentor.  So with or without a trade, Cam is gone.  Why would NE give up a pick or player for Dalton when they could offer Cam a prove it deal on the open market?  Then only thing that would throw a wrench into that is if Rivera were interested in bringing in a FA Newton to compete with and mentor Haskins.

Newton is a dual threat qb with a bad wheel and a bum arm. 
Reply/Quote
Why would we ever keep Dalton around as a backup? DO we really want those stories around training camp about Dalton looking over Burrow's shoulder? Especially if Joe struggles mightily?
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 11:28 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I was hoping we’d be able to find a trade partner for Dalton and get a mid round pick back. Sucks that it hasn’t happened, but I see no real need to release him at this point. I’d keep him to mentor burrow (hopefully only for a few weeks) and wait to see if any other QB’s get hurt early on (you know there will be some). Cutting him at this point really won’t help him much as most starting QB spots have been filled. This offseason would have been a lot better for us if the old guys like Brady, Rivers and Brees retired instead of coming back for another year.

How are we supposed to sign our draft picks with Dalton’s 17.8 M still on the books?

Reply/Quote
The only other qb out there worth considering is scam neuton. And who knows if hes healthy enough to play.

I'd say hes the best on the market if healthy enough.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 11:53 AM)caneyoufeelit Wrote: Why would we ever keep Dalton around as a backup?  DO we really want those stories around training camp about Dalton looking over Burrow's shoulder? Especially if Joe struggles mightily?

If Joe Burrow is upset because a 32 year old QB who acts like Mr. Rogers and hasn't had a winning season in 5 years is "looking over his shoulder" he might not have what it takes. 
Reply/Quote
17 mil is peanuts for a starter. No one pays that much for a backup, even if it includes the dubious designation as "mentor." Would we rather have Dalton as a nice guy big brother or sign our rookies?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 09:21 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I don’t think Mike Brown cuts the franchise passing TD record holder.

As they would say we are not in the business of making other teams better.

As much shit as I have given Dalton these last few years doesn’t change the fact he is an average starting NFL QB. There are not many of them and they are valuable. He is healthy with no long term health concerns.

We are more than likely looking at a shortened offseason. Dalton started his career here bailing us out of a strike shortened offseason to make the playoffs.

He was granted permission to seek a trade months ago. Nothing yet. If nothing comes to fruition he is established here and has started a family here. I know he wants to be a starter but multi million dollar clip board holder jobs are hard to come by. I don’t think he would force his way out.

I would love to use the money on more free agents or extensions. But I don’t want to cut a player as valuable as a starting QB.

This post is awesome! Your logic is right up there with Spock. Keeping Andy Dalton might be the plan all along even as a backup to Joe Burrow. I may have been wrong and perhaps the Front Office DOES see a parallel between Jon Kitna and Carson Palmer. It’s also possible Zac Taylor wants Joe Burrow to sit a year like Carson Palmer did while the Bengals figure out the offensive line scheme and which personnel fit within it. Maybe the Bengals are taking a long view and consider 2020 a transitional year.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 11:54 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: How are we supposed to sign our draft picks with Dalton’s 17.8 M still on the books?

I don’t understand team cap rules, the Bengals hire people to manage it. So far they have performed well retooling their team with talent while still having $20 million in cap space. If the $11 million for draft day is accurate, seems they aces. Since I don’t understand cap stuff, there is margin with Dre’s $8 million. So I don’t have any confidence in the idea the Bengals are strapped for cap cash.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 12:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This post is awesome!  Your logic is right up there with Spock.  Keeping Andy Dalton might be the plan all along even as a backup to Joe Burrow.  I may have been wrong and perhaps the Front Office DOES see a parallel between Jon Kitna and Carson Palmer.  It’s also possible Zac Taylor wants Joe Burrow to sit a year like Carson Palmer did while the Bengals figure out the offensive line scheme and which personnel fit within it.  Maybe the Bengals are taking a long view and consider 2020 a transitional year.

I can squint and see Dalton as a backup mention for 17 million being a decision that pays off, but I can't imagine Burrow sitting the bench and fans and the media NOT going completely ape.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 11:36 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I have a feeling NE isn't considering Andy due to Cam Newton.  Carolina can't pay both Cam and Teddy, and Teddy doesn't need a veteran mentor.  So with or without a trade, Cam is gone.  Why would NE give up a pick or player for Dalton when they could offer Cam a prove it deal on the open market?  Then only thing that would throw a wrench into that is if Rivera were interested in bringing in a FA Newton to compete with and mentor Haskins.

That's an interesting perspective.  Personally, I have trouble envisioning Bill B. getting along well enough with a rather flamboyant personality like Cam Newton.  I mean, I just couldn't imagine Bill B. being comfortable with his franchise QB coming out to a post game presser wearing something like a purple leisure suit and hat made for the ladies at the Kentucky Derby..   LOL

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 12:34 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I don’t understand team cap rules, the Bengals hire people to manage it. So far they have performed well retooling their team with talent while still having $20 million in cap space. If the $11 million for draft day is accurate, seems they aces. Since I don’t understand cap stuff, there is margin with Dre’s $8 million. So I don’t have any confidence in the idea the Bengals are strapped for cap cash.

That’s not factoring in DJ Reader.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 12:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's an interesting perspective.  Personally, I have trouble envisioning Bill B. getting along well enough with a rather flamboyant personality like Cam Newton.  I mean, I just couldn't imagine Bill B. being comfortable with his franchise QB coming out to a post game presser wearing something like a purple leisure suit and hat made for the ladies at the Kentucky Derby..   LOL

I doubt he would care if Cam won, but the question is if Cam can still play at the level where you can get away with being wacky.  If you recall the murmurs over the years, Tom Brady and his personal love guru/trainer guy were way more of a legitimate pain in the arse to stuffy Bill and his control freak mentality than a player's post-game attire could ever be.

Winning fixes all, but Cam may be done winning....or at least not up to winning enough to satisfy Mr. Grinch Bill Bellyache.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 12:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I doubt he would care if Cam won, but the question is if Cam can still play at the level where you can get away with being wacky.  If you recall the murmurs over the years, Tom Brady and his personal love guru/trainer guy were way more of a legitimate pain in the arse to stuffy Bill and his control freak mentality than a player's post-game attire could ever be.

Winning fixes all, but Cam may be done winning....or at least not up to winning enough to satisfy Mr. Grinch Bill Bellyache.

Either way, it would still make for some interesting conversations with one of my good buddies, who happens to be a die hard Pats fan.  When he would have his buddies from Mass. come and visit, they were absolutely the most obnoxious fan group I ever had the pleasure of enduring.  Wink

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 12:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Either way, it would still make for some interesting conversations with one of my good buddies, who happens to be a die hard Pats fan.  When he would have his buddies from Mass. come and visit, they were absolutely the most obnoxious fan group I ever had the pleasure of enduring.  Wink

We've been over this before...every time the Patriots win Steelers fans cry so every season when the Bengals are done I rotate the Corey Dillon and Ochocinco throwback Pats jersey and suddenly become the Pats Superfan.  Keep in mind my friends are mostly Steelers fans and we all have a sense of humor about the situation.

Still, god bless the Pats for keeping the Steelers from having like 10 SBs by now.  Here's hoping their next QB is a Steeler-killer, too.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 01:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We've been over this before...every time the Patriots win Steelers fans cry so every season when the Bengals are done I rotate the Corey Dillon and Ochocinco throwback Pats jersey and suddenly become the Pats Superfan.  Keep in mind my friends are mostly Steelers fans and we all have a sense of humor about the situation.

Still, god bless the Pats for keeping the Steelers from having like 10 SBs by now.  Here's hoping their next QB is a Steeler-killer, too.

Here’s hoping ours is.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 09:40 AM)Jeaux Smooth Wrote: Mariota signed with Oakland. That said, Jags would not have traded Foles if they wanted another big money qb in the room. They are all in with Minshew Mania.

You're correct my mistake.

I agree with you though; I think after his showing last year it doesn't make sense to being in Dalton.
Reply/Quote