Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Priest Holmes.....Just because
Priest Holmes was only great for a short period, but a lot of people have forgotten how great he was. Plus he has a good story.

In college Holmes was back up to Ricky Williams at Texas. He signed with the Ravens as an undrafted free agent.

He did not get single carry his rookie season, but the next year he led the team in rushing (1008 yds, 1998). His 1999 season was ruined by multiple injuries and the next year Jamaal Lewis took over. Holmes got a ring as a back up, but the Chiefs were able to sign him very cheaply (5 yr $11.7 million). As soon as he showed up in KC he blew up.

2001...Led league in rushing yards (1555) and added 614 receiving to also lead the league in yards from scrimmage (2169)

2002...Broke O.J. Simpson's 25 year old record for yards from scrimmage per game (163.4) and scored 24 tds (6th most in NFL history) in just 14 games.

2003...Broke Emmitt Smith's record for rushing tds in a season (27, still 2nd most all-time) and again had more than 2100 yards from scrimmage (1420 rush, 690 rec). It was his second consecutive season with at least 70 receptions and 20 rushing tds. Emmitt Smith is the only other player with two 20 rushing td seasons.

2004...Only played 8 games, but that was enough to qualify him to lead the league in rushing yards per game (111.5) and yards per scrimmage per game (134.9). But the most incredible stat is that despite playing less than half the season he finished FOURTH IN TDS WITH 15.

From '02 throu '04 Holmes scored 66 TD IN JUST 38 GAMES. That is a pace of 27.8 tds per 16 games played, and no player has scored more tds in consecutive seasons than than Holmes' 51 in '02-'03.

In 2005 Holmes was clearly still effected by the kne injury from the prior season. He averaged only 64.4 yards per game and 3.8 per carry until a spinal inury ended his season in week 7. He missed the entire 2006 season and was still not on the active roster at the start of '07. He continued to rehab and work his way back until finally getting to play in week 7. He made his first start at home three weeks later, but the very next week he suffered a career ending neck injury.

So Priest had a 4 year stretch where he played like one of the greatest of all time. I think that should be plenty enough to get a guy into the Hall of Fame. I don't mind giving guys credit for longevity, but I don't think we should penalize players too much because of injuries. Lots of average players have managed to have one or two great seasons, but Holmes strung 4 in a row. That is more than just a flash in the pan.
Reply/Quote
Much like Gale Sayers, some of the great ones just play with a passion and desire stronger than the human body can maintain. I agree, he's worthy of the HOF.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Priest Holmes and the Chiefs were better than Tomlinson and then Chargers in the red zone IMO. IDK which way the stats go in regards to that argument. He had one of the best O-lines in history.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 06:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Priest Holmes and the Chiefs were better than Tomlinson and then Chargers  in the red zone IMO. IDK which way the stats go in regards to that argument. He had one of the best O-lines in history.

Tomlinson was more consistent and durable than Holmes.  Over the first 7 years of his career he averaged over 1500 rushing yards, 65 receptions and 18 tds.  That is why he is already in the Hall of Hame.

But I think the achievements of Tomlinson and other RBs had a lot to do with Holmes not getting as much credit as he is due.

Holmes broke out in 2001 leading the league in rushing yards and yards from scrimmage.  But 2001 was the 4th straight year that Marshall Faulk had had at least 1300 rushing yards and 80 receptions.  It was also Tomlinson's rookie season and all he did his first three years in the league was average over 1500 rushing yards and 79 receptions.

Holmes broke the record for rushing tds in 2003 but Shaun Alexander matched that total just 2 years later and Tomlinson broke it in '06 with 28.  No RB has rushed for more than 18 tds since then, and Holmes 27 rushing tds is still just one off the NFL record, but at that time it did not seem that extraordinary.

It also did not help that the guy who replaced Holmes in KC (Larry Johnson) immediately had 20 tds in '05.  But it was pretty common for RBs to score a lot of tds during that stretch.  Before 2000 there were only 13 times a RB had scored 20 tds in a season (Emmitt did it twice).  Over the next 7 years ('00-'06) 6 different RBs would do it a total of 10 times.  But over the last 11 seasons it has only happened 3 more times.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2020, 03:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It also did not help that the guy who replaced Holmes in KC (Larry Johnson) immediately had 20 tds in '05.  But it was pretty common for RBs to score a lot of tds during that stretch.  Before 2000 there were only 13 times a RB had scored 20 tds in a season (Emmitt did it twice).  Over the next 7 years ('00-'06) 6 different RBs would do it a total of 10 times.  But over the last 11 seasons it has only happened 3 more times.

Ya this speaks to what I said earlier about that offensive line in KC, one of the best of all time. They would manhandle any defense and had a very effective scheme. Both Holmes and Johnson were good RBs but they don’t get as much credit because of who was up front leading the way.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2020, 03:14 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ya this speaks to what I said earlier about that offensive line in KC, one of the best of all time. They would manhandle any defense and had a very effective scheme. Both Holmes and Johnson were good RBs but they don’t get as much credit because of who was up front leading the way.

That and Vermeil just knew how to exploit his RB as the best weapon.

Guy was an offensive genius, clearly.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Random fact.

Many years ago on the old board I did a bunch of research on QB won-loss records when posting a rating over 100. Back then 100 passer ratings were not as common. Anyway the two guys with the worst records were Carson Palmer and Trent Green who was the QB of the Chiefs from '01-'06. Green put up a bunch of good numbers. He was top ten in passing yards six times and passer rating 5 times (3 times in top 4). But look at the defensive rankings of the teams he started for

98 WAS 24th
00 STL 23rd
01 KAN 23rd
02 KAN 32nd
03 KAN 29th
04 KAN 31st
05 KAN 25th
06 KAN 16th
07 MIA 23rd
Reply/Quote