Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton
We can always hope to trade him on draft weekend. Otherwise hanging on to him might not be a bad idea considering what happens with carona-virus. If there's not much of an off-season it might be a good idea to have Andy start right out of the gate (while Burrow takes the time to prepare). If Dalton has some early season success and other teams are hungry for a QB, maybe we can trade him. Say you trade him week 5 or 6 (or earlier), that gives Burrow lots of time to get ready for his first start.

There's two ways to look at it. Cut him and spend the money now. Or, wait for a better return. Maybe the Pats are willing to trade for Dalton after a couple weeks of failure, and watching Dalton return to form behind a better team?

Dalton's stock couldn't be lower right now. Free Agency has proven that so far. Waiting might be the best option though. I get that it's not appealing, but if you want a good return it might be for the best. If you just want to cut bait and spend the money I get that too.

In my opinion Mike Brown will take the patient approach. He wants to get a good return. He's certainly open to moving Dalton. It's not his fault Dalton's market is nil at this point. The best option might be giving Dalton a chance to prove himself to other teams early next year.

Certainly an interesting off-season. Can't wait to get Burrow drafted and signed! The future is definitely looking up!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 08:45 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: We can always hope to trade him on draft weekend. Otherwise hanging on to him might not be a bad idea considering what happens with carona-virus. If there's not much of an off-season it might be a good idea to have Andy start right out of the gate (while Burrow takes the time to prepare). If  Dalton has some early season success and other teams are hungry for a QB, maybe we can trade him. Say you trade him week 5 or 6 (or earlier), that gives Burrow lots of time to get ready for his first start.

There's two ways to look at it. Cut him and spend the money now. Or, wait for a better return. Maybe the Pats are willing to trade for Dalton after a couple weeks of failure, and watching Dalton return to form behind a better team?

Dalton's stock couldn't be lower right now. Free Agency has proven that so far. Waiting might be the best option though. I get that it's not appealing, but if you want a good return it might be for the best. If you just want to cut bait and spend the money I get that too.

In my opinion Mike Brown will take the patient approach. He wants to get a good return. He's certainly open to moving Dalton. It's not his fault Dalton's market is nil at this point. The best option might be giving Dalton a chance to prove himself to other teams early next year.

Certainly an interesting off-season. Can't wait to get Burrow drafted and signed! The future is definitely looking up!

I cut bait to get another O-lineman and LB'er myself. Let Burrow be the future right off the bat.

Dalton is a good man but he didn't help himself last year as we now see.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 06:03 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Will be very curious to see how Stidham looks this year. Especially since we drafted Ryan Finley 30 spots ahead of him.

Unlike Finley, Stidham has an NFL caliber arm.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Another factor: If teams spend to the cap, it could be hard to trade Dalton during the season. The prospective team would have to make some cuts or trade players with a big salary.

New England would be a possibility with Thuney's franchise tag. There might be a few other teams. Maybe a team with a lot more cap space after their rookie QB struggles.

If Dalton's market continues to flatline, maybe they keep him for the comp pick? It's hard to envision us having much cap space next year for Free Agency. We'll struggle to retain our own. Maybe a good comp pick is worth hanging on to him.

All in all, it's hard to say what the best option will be. Mike Brown has had a good batting average in this situation though. How he pulled off that Carson Palmer trade was nothing short of miraculous.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they just cut Dalton. But hey--like I said--it might not be a bad option to hang onto him and hope for a trade down the road.

I don't blame the Bengals for Dalton's low stock right now though. Yeah, you can blame them for not protecting him (letting Whit and Zeitler walk). But overall, they did a good job for most of his career setting him up for success. I don't blame the Bengals for not being able to find a trade at this point. His market is what it is.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 08:28 PM)McC Wrote: You got that right.

Weird little grandpa tidbit.

My grandpa on my father's side was in a tank crew on Anzio in WWII(yeah, yeah, I'm old as ****).  And this is the only thing he ever told me about being in the war.

They had a lull in the action.  Grandpa had to take a leak.  He climbs out of the tank, takes a little walk.  He;s ten feet from the tank, starts to whip it out and for reasons he couldn't even explain, decides to walk a little farther away and ends up on the other side of a huge tree. 

As he's peeing, the tank get hit and blown to bits.  The tree he's standing behind gets blasted with shrapnel.  He gets a piece in one of his triceps which was not all the way behind the tree. 

Everybody in the tank dead.  That's how close I came to never existing.  That's how close my family name came to ending.

BTW, always should wizzz behind the huge tree... 

Especially in combat.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 07:38 PM)McC Wrote: Do we even know they weren't aggressively trying but there just weren't any takers?  If you look back at what teams might have been interested, who might there have been?  Pittsburgh is the only one I can think of.  And who knows Andy better than them?  When's the last time he beat them?

I disagree on not letting Dalton play again.  I can't imagine anyone in the building would have wanted to go 0-16 and if Finley kept playing, not only would he have been permanently broken, if he isn't already, they almost surely have not won a single game and that would have been devastating to everybody.  Not that winning only two was any great shakes but at least it gave some level of hope going into the off season.  Plus, having him win those two at least potentially raised his value a little.

Hard to be aggressive when 2/3 of the contract negotiation staff is vacationing in the Alps.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 08:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I cut bait to get another O-lineman and LB'er myself. Let Burrow be the future right off the bat.

Dalton is a good man but he didn't help himself last year as we now see.

And that may prove to be the best option. I'm not sure MB will cut bait so early though. We'll see. I think Bill Belicheck is banking on it. He's smart. He probably thinks he can keep Thuney, and still get Dalton on the cheap.

Seems like the best players are gone at this point. To me we'd have to eat up his salary via extending Mixon and AJ, and signing some depth players.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 09:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: BTW, always should wizzz behind the huge tree... 

Especially in combat.

Another weird little thing about it he said he wasn't necessarily even trying to hide behind the tree.  I said good thing you went behind a tree and he said that's just where he happened to stop walking.

Th tank got hit with an 88(those things could travel six, seven miles and blow up anything).  The shell devastated the tank and the shells in the tank blew up and finished the job.  The coincidence of it all has never left my mind.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 09:03 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: And that may prove to be the best option. I'm not sure MB will cut bait so early though. We'll see. I think Bill Belicheck is banking on it. He's smart. He probably thinks he can keep Thuney, and still get Dalton on the cheap.

Seems like the best players are gone at this point. To me we'd have to eat up his salary via extending Mixon and AJ, and signing some depth players.

This almost sounds likely. Glad we did well in FA so far, now need to have a great Draft.

The more I watch of Burrow I think he is already light years ahead of Dalton and I am not hating on Dalton.

This guy is the most polished QB I have ever seen coming out of college.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 09:05 PM)McC Wrote: Another weird little thing about it he said he wasn't necessarily even trying to hide behind the tree.  I said good thing you went behind a tree and he said that's just where he happened to stop walking.

Th tank got hit with an 88(those things could travel six, seven miles and blow up anything).  The shell devastated the tank and the shells in the tank blew up and finished the job.  The coincidence of it all has never left my mind.

Yeah and I don't believe in coincidences. Awesome story. 

RIP tank brothers.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 09:05 PM)McC Wrote: Another weird little thing about it he said he wasn't necessarily even trying to hide behind the tree.  I said good thing you went behind a tree and he said that's just where he happened to stop walking.

(03-22-2020, 09:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah and I don't believe in coincidences. Awesome story. 

RIP tank brothers.

Great story. Honestly sounds straight out of a movie or a book. Really good stuff.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 09:03 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: And that may prove to be the best option. I'm not sure MB will cut bait so early though. We'll see. I think Bill Belicheck is banking on it. He's smart. He probably thinks he can keep Thuney, and still get Dalton on the cheap.

(03-22-2020, 09:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This almost sounds likely. Glad we did well in FA so far, now need to have a great Draft.

The more I watch of Burrow I think he is already light years ahead of Dalton and I am not hating on Dalton.

This guy is the most polished QB I have ever seen coming out of college.

We could very well wait until the draft to trade him. If we can't trade him by the end of the draft, maybe then we cut him and focus on extending our own and signing our draft picks. We don't have to cut bait right now in my opinion. His money will pay for our draft picks. If we are planning on cutting him at some point, we can still spend in FA. Although all I expect now are depth signings.

I'm definitely happy with FA. Reader is gunna make our defensive line whole again. He could extend Geno's career by taking so much pressure off of him--freeing him up to make plays. Our edge players will be freed up. Our run defense will be improved. He makes the entire defense better. Then shoring up the tackling in the secondary is a great start. Hoping we can get some good linebackers in the draft to more or less complete the turnaround on D. A solid guard would be great as well.

I keep watching the highlights from Burrow. The guy is just focused. Precise. Accurate. His pocket awareness is truly elite. I can't wait to get this guy signed and see what he can do for our franchise!
Reply/Quote

My grandpa on my father's side was in a tank crew on Anzio in WWII(yeah, yeah, I'm old as ****).  And this is the only thing he ever told me about being in the war.

They had a lull in the action.  Grandpa had to take a leak.  He climbs out of the tank, takes a little walk.  He;s ten feet from the tank, starts to whip it out and for reasons he couldn't even explain, decides to walk a little farther away and ends up on the other side of a huge tree. 

As he's peeing, the tank get hit and blown to bits.  The tree he's standing behind gets blasted with shrapnel.  He gets a piece in one of his triceps which was not all the way behind the tree. 

Everybody in the tank dead.  That's how close I came to never existing.  That's how close my family name came to ending.

Crazy man! 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 09:14 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Great story. Honestly sounds straight out of a movie or a book. Really good stuff.

It is even better, it is the real thing. Love these stories, made my day. ThumbsUp 

(03-22-2020, 09:27 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: We could very well wait until the draft to trade him. If we can't trade him by the end of the draft, maybe then we cut him and focus on extending our own and signing our draft picks. We don't have to cut bait right now in my opinion. His money will pay for our draft picks. If we are planning on cutting him at some point, we can still spend in FA. Although all I expect now are depth signings.

I'm definitely happy with FA. Reader is gunna make our defensive line whole again. He could extend Geno's career by taking so much pressure off of him--freeing him up to make plays. Our edge players will be freed up. Our run defense will be improved. He makes the entire defense better. Then shoring up the tackling in the secondary is a great start. Hoping we can get some good linebackers in the draft to more or less complete the turnaround on D. A solid guard would be great as well.

I keep watching the highlights from Burrow. The guy is just focused. Precise. Accurate. His pocket awareness is truly elite. I can't wait to get this guy signed and see what he can do for our franchise!

You know I always pushed for Billings but he wasn't that bright, he was just insanely strong.

Reader is strong and is very smart and knows how O-lineman are trying to play him. Best pickup I could imagine for this D.

Burrow is just cool man and the way he reads a pocket and the way he hardly ever takes a bad loss is uncanny.

Dude is seriously special the Joe Cool Burrow dude. Cool
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 09:35 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Crazy man! 

Here's the only reason he ever even told me about it--

I was maybe ten or so and I used to spend a week or two with my g'parents every summer.  They lived on a back road and there were no other kids around anywhere.

After a few days I'd always get bored and start bugging him to take me to my Uncle's house so I could hang out with cousins.  He told me no about a thousand times and eventually I said some pouty little shithead thing like I wish I was never born.  He was getting pretty pissed by then and said well you almost weren't.  I asked what  that was supposed to mean.  So he told  me.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

Crazy stuff, man. Better to be lucky than good as they say. My grandfather was shot in the shoulder during the Battle of the Bulge. The German bullet hits an inch or two over and my dad and me and my brothers aren’t here today.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2020, 09:13 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Total speculation..what we do know is files contract was restructured and jacksonville took a great cap hit

It was on Twitter... alot. Yes that's merely speculation, but there were multiple reports out there that Chicago was in talks with us regarding Andy. It could have simply came down to Jax was willing to eat part of Foles salary in order to ship him to the Bears, and we werent willing to do the same with Andy. Doesnt change the fact that they made it clear they were looking to deal Dalton, yet have failed to do so, and that could be due to willingness to take lower picks or eat money. We don't really know a whole lot, all we know is that they said they wanted to deal him, and nothing has fallen through at this point. Now were faced with possibly having to release him to free up cap space.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 10:19 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: It was on Twitter... alot. Yes that's merely speculation, but there were multiple reports out there that Chicago was in talks with us regarding Andy. It could have simply came down to Jax was willing to eat part of Foles salary in order to ship him to the Bears, and we werent willing to do the same with Andy. Doesnt change the fact that they made it clear they were looking to deal Dalton, yet have failed to do so, and that could be due to willingness to take lower picks or eat money. We don't really know a whole lot, all we know is that they said they wanted to deal him, and nothing has fallen through at this point. Now were faced with possibly having to release him to free up cap space.

Yep.
Reply/Quote