Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patriots not asking Belichick back after season.
Love him or loathe him, I have a lot of respect for what he's accomplished over the years.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2023/12/13/bill-belichick-responds-to-report-robert-kraft-has-already-decided-to-part-ways/

Quote:FOXBORO — According to a report from NBC Sports Boston’s Tom E. Curran, Patriots owner Robert Kraft decided last month he will part with head coach Bill Belichick after the season.

Kraft reached his decision after the Patriots’ 10-3 loss to the Colts in Germany, according to Curran, who shared his report Monday evening during a televised discussion on Belichick’s future.

“When they came out of Germany, conversations I had that week made it very clear that a decision was made,” Curran said on “Arbella Early Edition.” “They were going to play out the string, and at the end of the year, there would be a parting of the ways, for a variety of reasons.”

On Wednesday morning, Belichick took questions related to the report during his first press conference ahead of this weekend’s game versus the Chiefs. Was it Belichick’s understanding Kraft will not ask him to return next season?

“Yeah, I’m getting ready for Kansas City,” Belichick said. “That’s what I’m doing.”

Belichick was later asked if he wants to keep coaching.

“Yeah, I’m getting ready for Kansas City,”he said.

Belichick also deflected when asked if he had discussed his future with Kraft.

“I’m getting ready for Kansas City,” he replied.

According to Curran, Kraft has waited to part ways with Belichick partly because of his respect for the head coach’s 24-year run under his ownership. Belichick is also under contract through 2024, which could allow the team to trade him to another franchise this offseason.

“The main (reason) being, you don’t fire Bill Belichick during the season. It’s just not going to happen,” Curran said. “Additionally, though, he’s an asset. He’s under contract for another year, which we reported after NFL Media reported there was a long-term extension in place that would keep Bill locked up long-term. It’s only through next year.

“So, that would not be an impediment to them changing course.”

At 3-10, the Patriots have clinched their third losing season in four years under Belichick. By season’s end, they will have gone five straight seasons without a playoff win. Last March, Kraft said his objective was to make the postseason this year, and he hoped the Pats would improve upon what he described as a “disappointing” 2022 campaign.

Last year, Belichick’s unexpected decisions to reshape the offensive coaching staff led to the most dysfunctional season of his tenure, as detailed in a Herald report last January. The Patriots finished 8-9 and hired current offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien weeks later at Kraft’s suggestion. Under O’Brien, the Pats offense currently ranks dead last in scoring at 13 points per game and has benched starting quarterback Mac Jones four times.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Heck of a career.  I always enjoy the way he interacts with the media and not giving into getting baited by them.   Perhaps the game has just moved on from his coaching style.  Of course he'll be in the HoF but I'm guessing there will be continued debates about how much he was or was not carried by Brady or if he made Brady the QB he was first. The chicken and egg thing I guess. 

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2023, 02:35 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Heck of a career.  I always enjoy the way he interacts with the media and not giving into getting baited by them.   Perhaps the game has just moved on from his coaching style.  Of course he'll be in the HoF but I'm guessing there will be continued debates about how much he was or was not carried by Brady or if he made Brady the QB he was first. The chicken and egg thing I guess.

My son is a big Browns fan.  When the Patriots we in the midst of their glory, I used to remind him that the Browns fired Belichick, and that could have been his team on all of those Superbowl runs.  Wink

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The article says they arent going to ask him back next season but he is under contract through 2024 so they shouldnt need to ask him back since he would still be under contract. Is this a polite way of saying Belichick is being fired.
Reply/Quote
One might say Brady carried him... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2023, 02:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: My son is a big Browns fan.  When the Patriots we in the midst of their glory, I used to remind him that the Browns fired Belichick, and that could have been his team on all of those Superbowl runs.  Wink

Way to rub it in lol

(12-13-2023, 03:35 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The article says they arent going to ask him back next season but he is under contract through 2024 so they shouldnt need to ask him back since he would still be under contract.  Is this a polite way of saying Belichick is being fired.

That is the way I took it. 
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2023, 02:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: My son is a big Browns fan.  When the Patriots we in the midst of their glory, I used to remind him that the Browns fired Belichick, and that could have been his team on all of those Superbowl runs.  Wink

Wait what ? Shocked  Tell him to "get out"   Hilarious

The hoodie getting shown the door surprises me in ways and not in others. I mean all the Super Bowls, 20 year dominance or whatever, Just the very best in NFL history, on and on.

But on the other hand they have basically stunk since Brady left. And when you're running the entire show there's nowhere to run, nowhere to hide so.......
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2023, 07:16 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Wait what ? Shocked  Tell him to "get out"   Hilarious

The hoodie getting shown the door surprises me in ways and not in others. I mean all the Super Bowls, 20 year dominance or whatever, Just the very best in NFL history, on and on.

But on the other hand they have basically stunk since Brady left. And when you're running the entire show there's nowhere to run, nowhere to hide so.......

Oh, I know.  His uncle and grandfather on his mother's side are huge Browns fans, they got to him early.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2023, 08:57 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oh, I know.  His uncle and grandfather on his mother's side are huge Browns fans, they got to him early.

Poor guy. Hilarious
Reply/Quote