Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patriots targeting AJ Green
Especially dont give up on your best player when he’s a team first guy that wants to stay here. If it were an Antonio Brown/TO type player that would be totally different. How rare is it to have a wideout as good as he is that isnt a diva?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 05:17 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: When is the last time a team franchised a player and traded him?

I am drawing a blank on the rules surrounding it and if he plays under the tag or the new team can extend him.

The team that traded for the player can extend him. They can try to get it done as part of the trade, or acquire the player and try to get a new deal done before July. If not, they have to play out the year under the tag.

Last year, 3 franchised players were traded, and 2 signed new deals as part of the trade.
Reply/Quote
I'd let AJ walk. We'll get a nice compensatory pick for him, and we can use that money to improve the team elsewhere.

Then draft a long-term replacement.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 03:43 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: get Burrow a younger WR that will be around and hopefully on the field for the majority of his career.
exactly...Dalton and Green came in together..time for a new younger duo to take over a new era.
Reply/Quote
All the people that want to let AJ go will be the same ones whining when we take a WR with our 2nd or 3rd pick...

You absolutely can’t go into the season with a rookie QB having Auden Tate or John Ross as your #2.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 10:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: All the people that want to let AJ go will be the same ones whining when we take a WR with our 2nd or 3rd pick...

You absolutely can’t go into the season with a rookie QB having Auden Tate or John Ross as your #2.

It would be great if we we’re able to draft a receiver Burrow already had chemistry with, but not gonna happen.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 10:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: All the people that want to let AJ go will be the same ones whining when we take a WR with our 2nd or 3rd pick...

I would rather keep AJ with an incentive laden extension and Draft O-line early honestly.

Get a LB in FA. I think this could be likely.

I just don't want us to get saddled with the Tag which could stop us from grabbing any decent FA's.

If we Tag AJ, he keeps getting hurt and we don't get OL or LB in FA we are in deep shit regardless of our weapons.

If the QB has no time he cannot find them anyways.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 10:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would rather keep AJ with an incentive laden extension and Draft O-line early honestly.

Get a LB in FA. I think this could be likely.

I just don't want us to get saddled with the Tag which could stop us from grabbing any decent FA's.

If we Tag AJ, he keeps getting hurt and we don't get OL or LB in FA we are in deep shit regardless of our weapons.

If the QB has no time he cannot find them anyways.

Love the idea. AJ and agent tho.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 08:06 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: There's no reason for AJ to sign that deal.

You think he is just going to get big money regardless of where he goes after being hurt and unable to play for 24 games in a row?

I think regardless of where AJ goes teams will have to account this fact. As he will. 

AJ will not get a giant contract after his injury history as of late. I find it stupid to think so.

What a gamble this would be...
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 11:04 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Love the idea. AJ and agent tho.

I just don't see how AJ and said agent can just act like AJ has been healthy lately.

Not possible, the facts are the facts and I love AJ and want him back big time.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 04:46 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I can't help but think that there's a far greater chance of AJ Green still being an elite receiver than any draft pick we receive for him developing into an elite receiver.

I get all the arguments about not retaining him: his injury record; how much money we're already committed to paying the at the position; the depth at his position in this draft; how he'd be in decline and it doesn't align with when our window will open etc etc.

But if we are shooting for the stars and the aim is a Super Bowl rather than merely returning to the play-offs I don't see how we don't re-sign him and then pray hard for his health. If we're talking about a Carlos Dunlap type - very good but not elite - it would be different, but this is AJ freakin' Green. Difference makers of that quality don't come to Cincinnati often. Burrow could be here two decades without having a receiver of the caliber of AJ.

Letting AJ walk or even trading him is playing safe. And what people here have been crying for for ages is to throw caution to the wind and go for it. The go for it move is, despite all his health concerns, to re-sign AJ on a long term deal. That's shooting for the stars and anything short of that is playing safe.

Man, I love me some AJ Green, as much as the next fan.  However, his success, much like Andy's has been in the regular season.  When it comes to playoff time, AJ looks just as absent as Andy.

http://https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GreeA.00/gamelog/post/

Quote:Year     Targets    Catches     Yards     TDs

2011      12            5              47         0
2012      11            5              80         0
2013       9             3              34         0
2015       8             5              71         1

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 11:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Man, I love me some AJ Green, as much as the next fan.  However, his success, much like Andy's has been in the regular season.  When it comes to playoff time, AJ looks just as absent as Andy.

http://https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GreeA.00/gamelog/post/

Hmm...wonder what was different the year he had that TD...

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 11:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Hmm...wonder what was different the year he had that TD...

You mean Andy wasn't the one throwing to him??

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
AJ showed up in the 2015 Playoff game when it mattered unlike everybody else.

Want him back, just want him to stay healthy if we bring him back is all.

Been a bad run for him.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 11:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You mean Andy wasn't the one throwing to him??

That year, Andy would of probably won it for us. Who knows?

He is way better than AJM that is for sure.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 11:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That year, Andy would of probably won it for us. Who knows?

He is way better than AJM that is for sure.

Yeah, I was going to edit and add that, but you posted before I got back from the refrigerator..

But yes, that was the ONE year that I thought that Andy had the team around him to go the distance.  The OL was good, the Defense was fantastic..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Brady wont be in boston, he'll be with the chargers....

Green COULD be a patriot next season.

Brady staying with the Pats is NOT gonna happen, he and his very close trainer were selling their house.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2020, 12:19 AM)Bengalitis Wrote:  he and his very close trainer were selling their house.

He lives with his trainer?
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 05:29 PM)Housh Wrote:  Why would you trade one of the best WRs in the game when you are about to draft an amazing QB? 

Maybe because he has 7 receiving yards over his last 24 games?

Nervous

Just a hunch.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 05:40 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Clowney, Frank Clark and Dee Ford all last season.

True, but how many games had Eifert missed in the last 3 seasons before he played every game last year. I didn't see that coming and I reckon Eifert was more banged up than AJ.

(02-14-2020, 08:30 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The team that traded for the player can extend him. They can try to get it done as part of the trade, or acquire the player and try to get a new deal done before July. If not, they have to play out the year under the tag.

Last year, 3 franchised players were traded, and 2 signed new deals as part of the trade.

Appreciate the info, if it is that easy and common, hopefully the Bengals can figure something out and trade him.

I love A.J. but the injuries are piling up and why not send him to a team where he can compete while we rebuild.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote