Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patriots targeting AJ Green
(02-17-2020, 03:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You have no idea if this is true or not.

You can't sign a player based on wishes.

True, I have no idea.

Sounds like the team thinks he is looking great right now though as they are saying they are going to go "all out"
in re-signing AJ and Mixon. We will see if these are the right moves or not, honestly this could backfire big time.

The O-line and LB is where we should go "all out".
Reply/Quote
If they franchise AJ and keep Dalton to try to trade him that would leave them 26 mil to resign free agents. That would handcuff them trying to sign outside FAs. Cutting Dre or Glenn or both could add 18 mil to the coffers to address other positions but then you would have to either draft replacements or sign cheaper FAs. There are many way for the team to go but IMO let Zac put his mark on the team and just move on from the past.
Reply/Quote
If they want him, they would get him. Kraft makes better deals in the massage parlor than MB does in football.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 05:36 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: If they franchise AJ and keep Dalton to try to trade him that would leave them 26 mil to resign free agents. That would handcuff them trying to sign outside FAs. Cutting Dre or Glenn or both could add 18 mil to the coffers to address other positions but then you would have to either draft replacements or sign cheaper FAs. There are many way for the team to go but IMO let Zac put his mark on the team and just move on from the past.

If they Franchise AJ they better be looking to trade him and Dalton IMO.

Cut Glenn, try and trade Kirkpatrick for something, if not, cut his salary as well. Really like Phillips and we need to re-sign Dennard.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 06:23 PM)Destro Wrote: If they want him, they would get him. Kraft makes better deals in the massage parlor than MB does in football.

I think we have gotten the better results in our most recent trades with NE
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 06:23 PM)Destro Wrote: If they want him, they would get him. Kraft makes better deals in the massage parlor than MB does in football.

Is Kraft going to threaten to call ICE on Mike Brown if he doesn't comply?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 03:23 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I think we have gotten the better results in our most recent trades with NE

Kinda, but they win football games and we draft #1 overall. 
(02-18-2020, 03:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Is Kraft going to threaten to call ICE on Mike Brown if he doesn't comply?

Somebody needs to call someone on him. Has to be something illegal somewhere. 
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 06:12 PM)Destro Wrote: Kinda, but they win football games and we draft #1 overall. 

Somebody needs to call someone on him. Has to be something illegal somewhere. 

Maybe we can trade AJ Green for a 1st rounder and a few discreet "rub n tugs."
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 05:36 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: If they franchise AJ and keep Dalton to try to trade him that would leave them 26 mil to resign free agents. That would handcuff them trying to sign outside FAs. Cutting Dre or Glenn or both could add 18 mil to the coffers to address other positions but then you would have to either draft replacements or sign cheaper FAs. There are many way for the team to go but IMO let Zac put his mark on the team and just move on from the past.

Any day now there will be a Hobspin article stating that the team has only $10M for free agency, after you deduct the draft class (which has the top pick in every round - which makes the players cost more), minus an injury reserve, minus a rollover the team cannot rollover due to contract expiring and he'll make it all sound so normal and usual. He'll go on to remind everyone that Glenn and Andy and Kirkpatrick are still on the team and the only one they are considering trading is Dalton, but the price has to be right and blah, blah, blah.

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 09:50 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Any day now there will be a Hobspin article stating that the team has only $10M for free agency, after you deduct the draft class (which has the top pick in every round - which makes the players cost more), minus an injury reserve, minus a rollover the team cannot rollover due to contract expiring and he'll make it all sound so normal and usual. He'll go on to remind everyone that Glenn and Andy and Kirkpatrick are still on the team and the only one they are considering trading is Dalton, but the price has to be right and blah, blah, blah.

The biggest problem isn't that they don't spend in free agency its that they want to pay the guaranteed money up front. While this keeps them from sticking their neck out and getting bit, the biggest problem is that makes the Bengals a one year at a time franchise. They plan for one year at a time with no consideration but the year by year profits. It has worked out pretty well for the Brown family but not so well for the fans. He will probably find existing FA already on the team to give the money that is saved by replacing Dalton, AJ, Dre, or Glenn. If they don't try to get any help through free agency this year they probably won't ever while MB pulls the strings. There are too many holes to think they can fill them with the draft and second tier FAs if they want to be competitive.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 09:23 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote:      The biggest problem isn't that they don't spend in free agency its that they want to pay the guaranteed money up front. While this keeps them from sticking their neck out and getting bit, the biggest problem is that makes the Bengals a one year at a time franchise. They plan for one year at a time with no consideration but the year by year profits. It has worked out pretty well for the Brown family but not so well for the fans. He will probably find existing FA already on the team to give the money that is saved by replacing Dalton, AJ, Dre, or Glenn. If they don't try to get any help through free agency this year they probably won't ever while MB pulls the strings. There are too many holes to think they can fill them with the draft and second tier FAs if they want to be competitive.

Sadly, that is the state of things. The team could make moves, but MB has a bad track record on big moves and he knows it. So he plays things in the way that his mind says is safe. This never leads to competing for a championship and he knows it, but it is safe.

Look for the Hobpsin article I mentioned. We get one every year right around the start of free agency. It always says the same things.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 02:12 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Sadly, that is the state of things. The team could make moves, but MB has a bad track record on big moves and he knows it. So he plays things in the way that his mind says is safe. This never leads to competing for a championship and he knows it, but it is safe.

Look for the Hobpsin article I mentioned. We get one every year right around the start of free agency. It always says the same things.

But it isn't every year we get the first overall pick and are moving on from our last Franchise QB either.

We are going to have to move Dalton's salary for sure. The thing that has me nervous is if we Tag AJ and he gets hurt again or we
overpay AJ and Mixon so we cannot make the right moves for our O-line and Linebackers. The weaknesses are obvious and if there 
was a season to move on from AJ it would be this year with the depth in this Draft at WR.

That being said, if we handled it right and gave AJ a multi year incentive laden contract. Paid Mixon what he is worth which RB's 
are not worth near what they once were and went out and got either an O-lineman or a LB or both in FA we would be sitting pretty.

But the latter is a bit far fetched sadly as well. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 02:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: But it isn't every year we get the first overall pick and are moving on from our last Franchise QB either.

We are going to have to move Dalton's salary for sure. The thing that has me nervous is if we Tag AJ and he gets hurt again or we
overpay AJ and Mixon so we cannot make the right moves for our O-line and Linebackers. The weaknesses are obvious and if there 
was a season to move on from AJ it would be this year with the depth in this Draft at WR.

That being said, if we handled it right and gave AJ a multi year incentive laden contract. Paid Mixon what he is worth which RB's 
are not worth near what they once were and went out and got either an O-lineman or a LB or both in FA we would be sitting pretty.

But the latter is a bit far fetched sadly as well. Mellow

I really think the team should be looking to draft AJ's replacement in this draft, even if they sign him, as this would also provide insurance for Ross missing his usual large portion of the season or just not showing up in games.

With regards to Dalton's salary they may not trade him until the draft and I can see Mike Brown saying that Dalton is still on the team in March so we don't have the salary room to play in free agency. He's that thick in the head.

As you said, the weaknesses are obvious. This draft has depth at WR and OG and we can get good value at the positions.

That leaves LB in free agency, but will they actually make a good move????

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 12:41 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I really think the team should be looking to draft AJ's replacement in this draft, even if they sign him, as this would also provide insurance for Ross missing his usual large portion of the season or just not showing up in games.

With regards to Dalton's salary they may not trade him until the draft and I can see Mike Brown saying that Dalton is still on the team in March so we don't have the salary room to play in free agency. He's that thick in the head.

As you said, the weaknesses are obvious. This draft has depth at WR and OG and we can get good value at the positions.

Have to draft AJ's replacement and this is the year to do it so true. Cannot depend on Ross at all, happy they paid Boyd, at least
he is somewhat dependable (knock on wood). Even if they wait to trade Dalton until the Draft they would still get a pick for him 
so either way it is a win win IMO.

FA is the question for sure. I am starting to agree with Sunset that they will at the very least address the LB position in FA.

We will see. Wish they would try and get an OL and a LB but I am not holding my breath either.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 12:41 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I really think the team should be looking to draft AJ's replacement in this draft, even if they sign him, as this would also provide insurance for Ross missing his usual large portion of the season or just not showing up in games.

First, they have got to fix the offensive line.  If they don't, the salary spent on everyone else is just wasted.  They aren't going to fix the offensive line, the linebacker corps, and secure a new #1 WR via the draft with seven draft picks.  I don't expect any players better than Bobby Hart via free agency.

If they committed to an over haul and got rid of Dalton, Green, and Glenn then they could afford a #1 WR like Amari Cooper via free agency and possibly a starting OT or OG and still improve the offensive line and the linebackers after they draft Burrow at #1.

Will they?  Hell no.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 02:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Have to draft AJ's replacement and this is the year to do it so true. Cannot depend on Ross at all, happy they paid Boyd, at least
he is somewhat dependable (knock on wood). Even if they wait to trade Dalton until the Draft they would still get a pick for him 
so either way it is a win win IMO.

FA is the question for sure. I am starting to agree with Sunset that they will at the very least address the LB position in FA.

We will see. Wish they would try and get an OL and a LB but I am not holding my breath either.

That's a good thing cause Mike Brown doesn't care if you suffocated or not.

Trading Dalton for an extra pick will help a little if they use it wisely. Cross fingers.

(02-20-2020, 05:18 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: First, they have got to fix the offensive line.  If they don't, the salary spent on everyone else is just wasted.  They aren't going to fix the offensive line, the linebacker corps, and secure a new #1 WR via the draft with seven draft picks.  I don't expect any players better than Bobby Hart via free agency.

If they committed to an over haul and got rid of Dalton, Green, and Glenn then they could afford a #1 WR like Amari Cooper via free agency and possibly a starting OT or OG and still improve the offensive line and the linebackers after they draft Burrow at #1.

Will they?  Hell no.

So you are predicting business as usual for Mike Brown. Sadly, I'm afraid that might be true.

Bobby Hart was a dumpster dive after the Giants cut him.

I've said many times to watch the waiver wire to see who the Bengals' are looking at signing in free agency.

Reply/Quote