Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Alexander goes to bat for Ogbuehi and Fisher on his way out"
Did anyone else see this?

“Everyone is going to hammer Cedric and Fisher but a year from, now you’ll say, ‘Paul was right. These guys are good,’” Alexander said, according to Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com. “Remember when Tennessee wanted to get rid of Taylor Lewan and (Eric) Fisher was terrible for Kansas City and (Jake) Matthews wasn’t playing well for Atlanta? These guys are good players now. It doesn’t happen overnight. Sometimes it does. Willie (Anderson) was pretty good young. (Andrew Whitworth) was pretty good young. Most guys were not that way.”

My God , this man just will not own up to his mistakes. Notice he did not include Bodine in this though. What if they do turn out good though? Will he admit that his coaching style didnt work?
Reply/Quote
Wish he would have taken them with him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
They might be better, with a better coach....
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 01:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Wish he would have taken them with him.

Maybe he can talk Jerry Jones into a Travis Frederick and Zack Martin for Ogbuehi , Fisher and Bodine deal!!!
Reply/Quote
The point isn't weather or not those two will be good "somewhere down the road", they weren't any good when the Bengals needed them to be. The team suffered as a result.

that is completely on Paul Alexander's decision making.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 01:44 PM)sandwedge Wrote: They might be better, with a better coach....

Maybe....  but either way he looks like a fool then. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 01:42 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Did anyone else see this?

“Everyone is going to hammer Cedric and Fisher but a year from, now you’ll say, ‘Paul was right. These guys are good,’” Alexander said, according to Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com. “Remember when Tennessee wanted to get rid of Taylor Lewan and (Eric) Fisher was terrible for Kansas City and (Jake) Matthews wasn’t playing well for Atlanta? These guys are good players now. It doesn’t happen overnight. Sometimes it does. Willie (Anderson) was pretty good young. (Andrew Whitworth) was pretty good young. Most guys were not that way.”

My God , this man just will not own up to his mistakes.  Notice he did not include Bodine in this though. What if they do turn out good though?  Will he admit that his coaching style didnt work?

Dang this just proves the ONLY way to improve our O line was to fire him.  
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 01:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The point isn't weather or not those two will be good "somewhere down the road", they weren't any good when the Bengals needed them to be.  The team suffered as a result.  

Spot on Sunset. Ced's mechanics are really bad. Fisher looked confused a lot to me.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 01:46 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Maybe....  but either way he looks like a fool then. 

Couldn't agree more
Reply/Quote
Lol, defending his awful decisions by referencing Eric Fisher, a #1 overall pick who took years to go from awful to mediocre.

Ogbuehi and Fisher are heading into their 4th year in the NFL. They are both AWFUL. They are so awful, they've convinced people that Andre Smith isn't awful due to being compared to them.

Can't wait to see Alexander take his All-Pro OL, and All-Pro RB, and turn them into the 20th ranked YPC rushing attack as he latches onto a Dennis Roland/Russell Bodine/Kyle Cook/etc type player and refuses to ever let go.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 01:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The point isn't weather or not those two will be good "somewhere down the road", they weren't any good when the Bengals needed them to be.  The team suffered as a result.  

Yes exactly. We needed them just to be average for us.  This is probably the weakest the AFC has ever been as far as playoff teams go.  The O-line completely let us down and it destroyed the season.  Well that and Marvin's second half decision making. I dont know how he fixes that.
Reply/Quote

Exactly. This was supposed to be a SB contender. SB contenders don't wait 4-5 years for tackles to develop...sinking entire seasons for the sake of the "development" of 1-2 players. When you're on a team like that, you sink (to the bottom of the depth chart) or you swim. Instead, these guys sank - remained starters - and sank the entire damn team in the process.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 01:44 PM)sandwedge Wrote: They might be better, with a better coach....

Maybe Fisher, but Ogbuehi doesn't look like he'll ever make it to me.  He's as soft as that dude Richie Incognito ran out of the league.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
As for the OP and Hobspin's quoted fluff.....

[Image: tenor.gif]

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 01:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Ogbuehi and Fisher are heading into their 4th year in the NFL. They are both AWFUL. They are so awful, they've convinced people that Andre Smith isn't awful due to being compared to them.

Lol, No wonder Whitworth got such a big deal at his age!!  Playing with Ogbuehi on that line made him look even better than he was , which was awesome!!
Reply/Quote
Anyone read that article?  I especially liked the part where he makes it out to be that he was the one that wanted to move on.  Yeah, riiiiigggggghhhhhttttttt.  After 24 years as Mike's toady, NOW you "wanted" to move on.  Pfffftttt.  This guy's doucheyness and arrogance knows no bounds.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 01:54 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Yes exactly. We needed them just to be average for us.  This is probably the weakest the AFC has ever been as far as playoff teams go.  The O-line completely let us down and it destroyed the season.  Well that and Marvin's second half decision making. I dont know how he fixes that.

(01-17-2018, 01:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Exactly. This was supposed to be a SB contender. SB contenders don't wait 4-5 years for tackles to develop...sinking entire seasons for the sake of the "development" of 1-2 players. When you're on a team like that, you sink (to the bottom of the depth chart) or you swim. Instead, these guys sank - remained starters - and sank the entire damn team in the process.

Isn't there an old adage about definition of insanity being about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 02:04 PM)Wyche Wrote: Anyone read that article?  I especially liked the part where he makes it out to be that he was the one that wanted to move on.  Yeah, riiiiigggggghhhhhttttttt.  After 24 years as Mike's toady, NOW you "wanted" to move on.  Pfffftttt.  This guy's doucheyness and arrogance knows no bounds.

I always have wondered what Dave Lapham has thought of Alexander recently. I have seen a couple of things that people have posted suggested that he thought it was time for him to go but I wonder if you could get an honest answer from an ex-NFL lineman what would his opinion be?
Reply/Quote

This.

I think the element of timing often gets missed whenever we talk of a coach or player for that matter.

Hanging on to a player/coach too long because they did good a long time ago, or having to wait to year 4 for a draft pick to finally start to show something is what hurts the team.  

Its not always as simple were they ever good yes/no....were they good when the team really need them to be, when  we really needed to count on them?   

Deciding when to let a previously good player go , or when to cut bait on a young draft pick is as much an art of successful roster building as the one-off, point in time evaluation at the time of draft/FA selection
Reply/Quote
Fisher flashed before he hit IR if I remember and strung some games together where he was decent. Same with Hopkins at the end of the year. I guess we trust the new OL coach to tell us if these guys are salvageable. But Bodine has had his chance
Reply/Quote