Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Alexander goes to bat for Ogbuehi and Fisher on his way out"
(01-17-2018, 01:42 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Did anyone else see this?

“Everyone is going to hammer Cedric and Fisher but a year from, now you’ll say, ‘Paul was right. These guys are good,’” Alexander said, according to Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com. “Remember when Tennessee wanted to get rid of Taylor Lewan and (Eric) Fisher was terrible for Kansas City and (Jake) Matthews wasn’t playing well for Atlanta? These guys are good players now. It doesn’t happen overnight. Sometimes it does. Willie (Anderson) was pretty good young. (Andrew Whitworth) was pretty good young. Most guys were not that way.”

My God , this man just will not own up to his mistakes.  Notice he did not include Bodine in this though. What if they do turn out good though?  Will he admit that his coaching style didnt work?

He might be right all they needed was a little Coaching Fisher wasn't that bad hes just unavailable due to medical issues.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 01:46 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Maybe....  but either way he looks like a fool then. 

And the people who claimed Og and/or Fisher were bad draft picks also look foolish.
Reply/Quote
There people on Twitter that still believe in Fisher but none in Ced. I don't know if either can salvage thier career but I do know that both we're put in unfair situations by the Bengals. Fisher had to start next to an undrafted free agent all year and Ced was asked to replace a legend after having a terrible season. Maybe they need more time to develop but it shouldn't be here.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 02:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: He might be right all they needed was a little Coaching Fisher wasn't that bad hes just unavailable due to medical issues.

I hope that he is right. We as fans trust our coaches and management to make good football decisions so that we know that we are investing our time and money into something worthwhile.  

PA has let us down with some of his decision making and unwillingness to change when something wasn't working. Well actually , the whole management team is guilty of this but I will focus on him.

What he is getting at is that these two are either good players and need to be coached up, which he couldnt do, or they are busts and he wont admit it. Either way, this team can't have him making decisions for us again.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 02:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And the people who claimed Og and/or Fisher were bad draft picks also look foolish.

True but that is why we needed a change to make that call.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 02:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Isn't there an old adage about definition of insanity being about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

The Bengals had depended on PA developing first and second round picks into top players for over 20 years and he never failed them.

They were just guilty of using the same logic as many people around when they say "The fact that it has not happened yet proves it will never happen."
Reply/Quote
They are all garbage..straight trash. God I hate that man.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 02:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: He might be right all they needed was a little Coaching Fisher wasn't that bad hes just unavailable due to medical issues.

He wasn't all that good, either.  I feel bad for his injuries, but it won't hurt my feelings if the Bengals just release him with an injury settlement.

We can do better.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 01:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The point isn't weather or not those two will be good "somewhere down the road", they weren't any good when the Bengals needed them to be.  The team suffered as a result.  

that is completely on Paul Alexander's decision making.

totally    ThumbsUp

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
This is the epitome of one of the Bengals biggest problems: the inability to admit they just might have made a mistake. I don't think that inability is necessarily limited to PA, either.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 03:05 PM)snowy Wrote: This is the epitome of one of the Bengals biggest problems: the inability to admit they just might have made a mistake. I don't think that inability is necessarily limited to PA, either.

You're right about that.  Having two to three decades without consequences for your bad decisions will do that for you.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
bengalhoel Wrote:Maybe he can talk Jerry Jones into a Travis Frederick and Zack Martin for Ogbuehi , Fisher and Bodine deal!!!

Aren't Martin and Eifert brothers-in-law?
Reply/Quote
I'm willing to give them both the benefit of the doubt that their position coach was holding them back.

We'll see if they improve this year.

But my biggest fear is they will be named starters, will play like shit, and then Lewis will not take them out of the game despite having better players on the bench (as we saw in the final 2 games of the season).
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 01:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Lol, defending his awful decisions by referencing Eric Fisher, a #1 overall pick who took years to go from awful to mediocre.

Ogbuehi and Fisher are heading into their 4th year in the NFL. They are both AWFUL. They are so awful, they've convinced people that Andre Smith isn't awful due to being compared to them.

Can't wait to see Alexander take his All-Pro OL, and All-Pro RB, and turn them into the 20th ranked YPC rushing attack as he latches onto a Dennis Roland/Russell Bodine/Kyle Cook/etc type player and refuses to ever let go.

Damn! It's their 4th year already? Anyway him being kicked out of the Brown family circle of trust is enough proof anyone needs that he just doesn't have it. I don't know if he ever did, we had some good linemen over the years but to be this off on these two and too stubborn to mix things up on the line to try to find a combination that works before it was too late was lazy and hardheaded on his part.

As for Dallas, he will be fine there. Well that is till he starts replacing their own FA's with his hand picked players. I guarantee he will end up with OG or Fisher When they become FA's and that's when he will be the most hated man in Dallas. Knowing our luck they will mesh good with that Dallas line and play at a pro bowl level. Oh well glad he's gone, really didn't think this day would ever come.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 01:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Exactly. This was supposed to be a SB contender. SB contenders don't wait 4-5 years for tackles to develop...sinking entire seasons for the sake of the "development" of 1-2 players. When you're on a team like that, you sink (to the bottom of the depth chart) or you swim. Instead, these guys sank - remained starters - and sank the entire damn team in the process.

Contrast what you said with what the Vikings did in signing Free Agent Riley Reiff who has been getting high praise this year for his play at Left Tackle.

Some positions require a team to be as certain as possible that they have that position filled with someone that can do the job.

Cedric's struggles in 2016 did not bode well for his being relied on to anchor the Left tackle position in 2017.

The Vikings did not mess around with their Left Tackle position and signed Reiff.

The Bengals doubled down on making a 1st round pick that was yet unproven pan out by going all in on Cedric for 2017, even after watching him struggle in 2016.

Tried to make the Draft pick investment pay off and they may try it again in 2018.

Knowing a player is reliable (Vikings/Reiff) versus hoping with Cedric.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 01:42 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Did anyone else see this?

“Everyone is going to hammer Cedric and Fisher but a year from, now you’ll say, ‘Paul was right. These guys are good,’” Alexander said, according to Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com. “Remember when Tennessee wanted to get rid of Taylor Lewan and (Eric) Fisher was terrible for Kansas City and (Jake) Matthews wasn’t playing well for Atlanta? These guys are good players now. It doesn’t happen overnight. Sometimes it does. Willie (Anderson) was pretty good young. (Andrew Whitworth) was pretty good young. Most guys were not that way.”

My God , this man just will not own up to his mistakes.  Notice he did not include Bodine in this though. What if they do turn out good though?  Will he admit that his coaching style didnt work?

My response to Paul Alexander..."Mr. Alexander, why were these guys first and second round picks if it takes them more than 3 years to become even serviceable?"

If it's me drafting, I'm looking at players that can be good as rookies.
I accept a year of grooming for a second rounder.
If a player hasn't shown me something after three years, I don't have any hope that they will magically become a better player and am completely ok letting them try their hand elsewhere once their rookie contract is up.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The pompous arrogance of this man is infuriating. Not only is he as delusional as his buddies Marv and Mike, but he also can't own up to his mistakes. Granted I don't know the guy but every quote I've ever read, every press conference, every interview... He seems like a major league A-hole that would greatly benefit from a solid @$$-kicking.

Once again, if I ever see this man in person (and I'm not far away as I now live an hour north of Dallas), I'm delivering a right cross to his fat suck hole.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 01:57 PM)Wyche Wrote: Maybe Fisher, but Ogbuehi doesn't look like he'll ever make it to me.  He's as soft as that dude Richie Incognito ran out of the league.

Ogbuehi has never seemed to have the heart for the game.  My guess is he'll start working harder when it's contract time.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 03:37 PM)depthchart Wrote: Contrast what you said with what the Vikings did in signing Free Agent Riley Reiff who has been getting high praise this year for his play at Left Tackle.

Some positions require a team to be as certain as possible that they have that position filled with someone that can do the job.

Cedric's struggles in 2016 did not bode well for his being relied on to anchor the Left tackle position in 2017.

The Vikings did not mess around with their Left Tackle position and signed Reiff.

The Bengals doubled down on making a 1st round pick that was yet unproven pan out by going all in on Cedric for 2017, even after watching him struggle in 2016.

Tried to make the Draft pick investment pay off and they may try it again in 2018.

Knowing a player is reliable (Vikings/Reiff) versus hoping with Cedric.

The bolded is the most frustrating thing. Even after 2 years if this, they still might try to make it work again.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
By all means, Paul, convince Jerry to trade for them.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote