Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Alexander goes to bat for Ogbuehi and Fisher on his way out"
(01-17-2018, 01:42 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Did anyone else see this?

“Everyone is going to hammer Cedric and Fisher but a year from, now you’ll say, ‘Paul was right. These guys are good,’” Alexander said, according to Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com. “Remember when Tennessee wanted to get rid of Taylor Lewan and (Eric) Fisher was terrible for Kansas City and (Jake) Matthews wasn’t playing well for Atlanta? These guys are good players now. It doesn’t happen overnight. Sometimes it does. Willie (Anderson) was pretty good young. (Andrew Whitworth) was pretty good young. Most guys were not that way.”

My God , this man just will not own up to his mistakes.  Notice he did not include Bodine in this though. What if they do turn out good though?  Will he admit that his coaching style didnt work?

Bodine is a free agent, right? Maybe he can convince Dallas to sign him. Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Does it really take more than three seasons to develop a first round OT from poor to merely average?
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 03:37 PM)depthchart Wrote: Contrast what you said with what the Vikings did in signing Free Agent Riley Reiff who has been getting high praise this year for his play at Left Tackle.

Some positions require a team to be as certain as possible that they have that position filled with someone that can do the job.

Cedric's struggles in 2016 did not bode well for his being relied on to anchor the Left tackle position in 2017.

The Vikings did not mess around with their Left Tackle position and signed Reiff.

The Bengals doubled down on making a 1st round pick that was yet unproven pan out by going all in on Cedric for 2017, even after watching him struggle in 2016.

Tried to make the Draft pick investment pay off and they may try it again in 2018.

Knowing a player is reliable (Vikings/Reiff) versus hoping with Cedric.

Spot on
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 02:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He wasn't all that good, either.  I feel bad for his injuries, but it won't hurt my feelings if the Bengals just release him with an injury settlement.

We can do better.

Right I have to believe the heart issue was effecting his play on the field.

He might never be able to play again for all I know.   I think they probly sign A Smith a few years while they figure out who takes the spot.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 03:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If it's me drafting, I'm looking at players that can be good as rookies.
I accept a year of grooming for a second rounder.
If a player hasn't shown me something after three years, I don't have any hope that they will magically become a better player and am completely ok letting them try their hand elsewhere once their rookie contract is up.

I strongly disagree with only drafting first round picks that can be good as rookies.

But I agree that after three years they are not suddenly going to improve a lot.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 05:05 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The bolded is the most frustrating thing. Even after 2 years if this, they still might try to make it work again.

If we believe in the New OL Coach... We should believe in who he has starting
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 05:23 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Does it really take more than three seasons to develop a first round OT from poor to merely average?

I always preach patience when developing young players, if a player is improving every year then I am willing to give him another.  But I did not see a lot of improvement in Ogbuehi from '16 to '17.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 05:30 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: If we believe in the New OL Coach... We should believe in who he has starting

The issue may be that the new O-line Coach may be forced to work with what he has.

Paul Alexander may have people in the Bengal's building convinced that Cedric will soon develop or that another player on our roster can play left tackle.

Frank Pollack won't get to work much with Cedric before Free Agency and the Draft.

Pollack may recognize talent in say a 1st round Left Tackle in this year's Draft but be unable to get him drafted by the Bengals.

He may not get to hand pick replacements as often or as quickly as he would like.

Polack may just get dealt his cards with most of those cards being players on the current roster.
Reply/Quote
C'mon..just one more dollar on the power ball ticket and your odds of winning the big jackpot go up a zillion fold!

Nah, he's trying badly to cover his ass in case the entire Dallas line goes to crap and he can blame Dallas for not trading for our soon to be great tackles and if they don't pan out here he can say it's because he didn't have another year to coach them up..or something like that..

At any rate we'll soon see. If their line goes to crap and ours improves dramatically with the same guys then Alexander is good as done, but never let nepotism get in the way of a crappy excuse for failure..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Maybe under Pollack one of them might be decent. I have higher hopes for Fisher cause he has actually looked good at
times and had that health scare that could of been the reason for his poor play last season. Feels like i keep beating a
dead horse but a player has to have the want to be great and Og just doesn't seem to have that.

This is something i just don't know will just grow into him.

But yeah, PA sure as well wasn't getting anything out of them and if one of them comes along it probably will be more
cause of Pollack than PA that is for sure.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 01:44 PM)sandwedge Wrote: They might be better, with a better coach....

In which he will take credit.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 05:23 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Does it really take more than three seasons to develop a first round OT from poor to merely average?

Don't you mean from horrible to not very good?  Other than that, I totally agree with the sentiment.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 06:06 PM)depthchart Wrote: The issue may be that the new O-line Coach may be forced to work with what he has.

Paul Alexander may have people in the Bengal's building convinced that Cedric will soon develop or that another player on our roster can play left tackle.

Frank Pollack won't get to work much with Cedric before Free Agency and the Draft.

Pollack may recognize talent in say a 1st round Left Tackle in this year's Draft but be unable to get him drafted by the Bengals.

He may not get to hand pick replacements as often or as quickly as he would like.

Polack may just get dealt his cards with most of those cards being players on the current roster.

doubt it... alexander was part of the problem marvin wanted gone..and gone he is
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 01:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Wish he would have taken them with him.

Lets Do It....Trade them to Alexander and Dallas Cowboys for draft picks.  By all means, let him take them with him. I asked the question on here last week if Og or Fish could be counted on to handle right tackle. 99.9 % response was No Way.  
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 02:10 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: I always have wondered what Dave Lapham has thought of Alexander recently. I have seen a couple of things that people have posted suggested that he thought it was time for him to go but I wonder if you could get an honest answer from an ex-NFL lineman what would his opinion be?

I think Lap has been pretty candid across all of his multiple radio hits (too many to find/list here) that he had felt - paraphrasing here - that the Bengals needed a different style/teaching technique along the OL. Lap would never call for someone to be fired, but if you were to dig up any of the archived interviews across the hits he did on 700 or 1530 or wherever else, you could get a sense of where he was on this topic. 
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
As an anti-Cowboy fan (dislike them a lot, just as much or maybe more than the steelers) I hope Alexander does just good enough to keep his job, but no terrible enough to get fired. You know, like he was with us for 20 plus years. Kind of the problem with Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 01:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Lol, defending his awful decisions by referencing Eric Fisher, a #1 overall pick who took years to go from awful to mediocre.

Ogbuehi and Fisher are heading into their 4th year in the NFL. They are both AWFUL. They are so awful, they've convinced people that Andre Smith isn't awful due to being compared to them.

Can't wait to see Alexander take his All-Pro OL, and All-Pro RB, and turn them into the 20th ranked YPC rushing attack as he latches onto a Dennis Roland/Russell Bodine/Kyle Cook/etc type player and refuses to ever let go.

once again you are spot on..........the difference is Jerry J will cut him loose after 1 bad year............no 20 year leash in Dallas TX
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 05:27 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Right I have to believe the heart issue was effecting his play on the field.

He might never be able to play again for all I know.   I think they probly sign A Smith a few years while they figure out who takes the spot.

Did we ever find out exactly what Fishers heart issue was? Rumors in Twitter said he had a heart valve replaced... Which, as far as I know, doesn't mean he has to stop playing. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 05:30 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: If we believe in the New OL Coach... We should believe in who he has starting

That's assuming it's 100% his call. We don't know that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 08:50 PM)jowczarski Wrote: I think Lap has been pretty candid across all of his multiple radio hits (too many to find/list here) that he had felt - paraphrasing here - that the Bengals needed a different style/teaching technique along the OL. Lap would never call for someone to be fired, but if you were to dig up any of the archived interviews across the hits he did on 700 or 1530 or wherever else, you could get a sense of where he was on this topic. 

I remember back in September, Dave Lapham said that Paul Alexander teaches the same technique to every player.

Dave went on to say that every player is different and that each player has his own strengths and weaknesses.  He felt that players should be taught the technique that is best suited to the individual player’s strengths.

And  a couple weeks later, Dave Lapham was enthusiastically praising the opposing teams' offensive line coach.
Reply/Quote