Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Alexander was "in charge of the run game"
...according to Hobspin:

Quote:Alexander was in charge of the run game so it's a major move that indicates a significant change in how the Bengals approach line play and the ground attack. They had their worst rushing season ever in the history of the club when it came to net yards, but they are attempting to build on Lazor's approach that helped them average 4.6 yards per carry and 114 yards per game in the last six games.

http://m.bengals.com/news/article-1/Alexanders-departure-signals-change-in-run-game/8bf651dc-520e-43e8-bf96-56a2d8d32bdb

Our run game has ranked 20th or worse in yards per carry in every year since 2006, sans 2014...so I'm thrilled that people might finally get a taste of what a real rushing attack looks like. Those last 6 games where Gio and Mixon were averaging 4.7 and 5.0 YPC? Prepare for a whole year of that.

This is the biggest reason I've been wanting PA gone for 5+ years now. Our run game has been so pathetic for a decade+ now. Sadly, Jeremy Hill won't get to benefit, but Mixon and Gio will be fun to watch now that the Ivory Tickler is out to pasture.

Btw...Anyone think the "guru" will get snapped up by some other team? Barring a call from Hue, I'd bet this is it for him. Mike kept a bum on the staff for 24 years.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
No wonder it sucked last year and at the beginning of the year. Man that guy was a turd.
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote

Somewhere fredtoast is Nancy Kerrigan crying into his pillow for his beloved Piano Man.
Reply/Quote
Well now we can say definitively why our run game has sucked for over a decade.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Where's fred?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Seriously? Our run game has been trash for ages. We all knew our Oline was garbage, but this clown was in charge of our whole running game for that long? Some of these things are just unbelievable. Even if the guy is Mike’s bff, surely a change has to be made after just a couple of the seasons we went through.
Reply/Quote
They could average 7 yards per carry. It’s not gonna help if they under-utilize it in the second half of games.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
Probably the only good move this off season.
Reply/Quote
Ninja Ninja ???

I never knew that Alexander was in charge of running game.

I probably had more patience with him than most but that was based on our pass protection normally being good in the past.

Our run blocking has never been great - even on our better recent lines - so the fact he was in charge of our whole running game beggars belief - and further justifies him being sacked.

Is it normal practice in the NFL to have the OL coach in charge of the running game....how the hell does that work with the OC too - whos in charge?

Looking forward to a new OL who just does that, and Lazor getting a chance to own the whole show ...for better or worse
Reply/Quote
Well, that certainly explains a lot..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I mean the run game is kind of a product of the offensive line, so it makes sense.

Not sure what that means by "in charge of the run game". He wasn't calling plays or coaching the running backs. He was simply in charge of the o line.

Regardless, he still sucked at his job.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
If I ever see Paul Alexander in public I'm not going to hesitate and I'm going to punch him right in his fat f***ing face.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 09:44 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Probably the only good move this off season.

And it may be the most significant. Who really knows exactly how much control PA had, given this new info and his "assistant head coach" title. 

How that worthless sack lasted as long he did is disgraceful. Family friend of the Browns or not, the man should have been gone decades ago
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 03:54 AM)treee Wrote: Well now we can say definitively why our run game has sucked for over a decade.

I always blamed PA for the run game woes, but yeah this definitely makes it more clear.

(01-06-2018, 09:44 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Probably the only good move this off season.

I'm waiting to see who they hire in his place before I call it a good move. This is the franchise that hired PA in the first place (and kept him 24 years) after all.

It is a positive sign that they're taking their sweet time. Hopefully that means plenty of external hires to replace Guenther, Urban and PA.

(01-06-2018, 12:16 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I mean the run game is kind of a product of the offensive line, so it makes sense.

Not sure what that means by "in charge of the run game". He wasn't calling plays or coaching the running backs. He was simply in charge of the o line.

Regardless, he still sucked at his job.

I took that to mean he has control over the run blocking scheme, and doesn't answer to the OC...who is usually in charge of that sort of thing.

This is obviously speculation, but it looks like Marv got tired of the poor run production and let Lazor change the run blocking scheme mid-season. This would explain the sudden surge in production and PA's prompt firing after the season. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 12:24 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: If I ever see Paul Alexander in public I'm not going to hesitate and I'm going to punch him right in his fat f***ing face.

Careful, it might be embarrassing to get you ass kicked by a corpulent loser.  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 12:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Careful, it might be embarrassing to get you ass kicked by a corpulent loser.  Ninja

Oh god... That would royally suck

Well I'm 6'1, 220lbs, I lift and spar 3 days a week... What is Paul, 5'8, 230 lbs of gelatinous goo?

I like my chances  Cool
Reply/Quote
Marvin is/was the man in charge why didn't he do something about it. Easy to blame PA for it.
Where's the accountability?
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 01:30 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Marvin is/was the man in charge why didn't he do something about it. Easy to blame PA for it.

I agree with this....however....at the end of the day, Marvin doesn't sign the paychecks, an idiot does.  The same idiot that kept this BUM on the sidelines for 24 years.  TWENTY FOUR YEARS!!!!!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 12:24 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: If I ever see Paul Alexander in public I'm not going to hesitate and I'm going to punch him right in his fat f***ing face.

The good news is, you'll connect with his face because he couldn't block it. 

Tongue
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 01:30 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Marvin is/was the man in charge why didn't he do something about it. Easy to blame PA for it.

There is no accountability. There is no discipline. There is nothing in this franchise but fake hype and broken dreams. Many of us have developed a dependency to the emotional pain that surrounds the life of a Bengals fan. We come back, year after year, hoping for something different. We cheer for a team who's organization mirrors Albert Einsteins definition of insanity. "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result." So as Marvin say's things will happen quickly, and hypes us up for a trip to the Super Bowl, things will be more of the same. Stagnation and status quo have become a huge part of the foundation on which this team sits. I know, it sucks. Yet I will be here, drawn to the addiction of a hope that doesn't exist, and drowning myself in misery.

Reply/Quote