Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Alexander was "in charge of the run game"
PA also taught different fundamentals than other coaches. Maybe a more regular approach can help us in the pass game as well

WhoDey2
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Looks like it was Lazor’s idea to change up the blocking scheme. That’s good news.

Also, who else has been here during the whole Marvin tenure besides Mike Brown? Paul Alexander. Perhaps this team really could take the next step now that he’s gone. I’m intrigued to see what new OL are brought in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If Fatboy started out as a TE coach, how did that make him a line expert? Why the hell was he ever hired to be a line coach in the first place?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
[Image: 228bwp.jpg]

And people are buying it hook, line, and sinker. 

Could it work? Sure. But this is hardly something to be all that exciting about. The F.O. just took a wizz in our Cheerios and then gave us some sugar to help us forget about it. 
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 02:08 PM)McC Wrote: If Fatboy started out as a TE coach, how did that make him a line expert?  Why the hell was he ever hired to be a line coach in the first place?

Back then, most TEs were for blocking and the occasional pass;  Sort of like an extra lineman.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Sounds about right...

[Image: giphy.gif][Image: giphy.gif][Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 02:19 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: [Image: 228bwp.jpg]

And people are buying it hook, line, and sinker. 

Could it work? Sure.
But this is hardly something to be all that exciting about. The F.O. just took a wizz in our Cheerios and then gave us some sugar to help us forget about it. 

1. Just because Merv didn't get canned, that doesn't mean PA getting fired is not a very good (and exciting) thing.

2. Just because I'm thrilled about PA getting fired doesn't mean I've completely forgiven the non-firing of Merv, and it also doesn't mean I'm thinking championship or anything silly.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 11:31 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. Just because Merv didn't get canned, that doesn't mean PA getting fired is not a very good (and exciting) thing.

2. Just because I'm thrilled about PA getting fired doesn't mean I've completely forgiven the non-firing of Merv, and it also doesn't mean I'm thinking championship or anything silly.
And exactly what is the downside of thinking silly? You've been a Bengals fan this long so why not continue with it the rest of your natural born life? Silly is fun. Rooting for perennial champions is, well...dull. And after all, who would want to be even mentioned in the same breath as a lowly squeeler fan?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 11:18 AM)sonofstat Wrote: Ninja Ninja ???

I never knew that Alexander was in charge of running game.

I probably had more patience with him than most but that was based on our pass protection normally being good in the past.

Our run blocking has never been great - even on our better recent lines - so the fact he was in charge of our whole running game beggars belief - and further justifies him being sacked.

Is it normal practice in the NFL to have the OL coach in charge of the running game....how the hell does that work with the OC too - whos in charge?

Looking forward to a new OL who just does that, and Lazor getting a chance to own the whole show ...for better or worse

It's more common than you realize.  In fact, in college it is not unusual for offenses to have both a run game coordinator and a passing game coordinator, neither of whom are the offensive coordinator.

(01-06-2018, 02:08 PM)McC Wrote: If Fatboy started out as a TE coach, how did that make him a line expert?  Why the hell was he ever hired to be a line coach in the first place?

His mentor was/is the great Jim McNally, former Bengals line coach who developed the concept of zone blocking.

Somewhere I read that the team has interest in McNally being Alexander's replacement, although I don't know if he has any interest in a return to coaching.
Reply/Quote
I wonder how long Marvin has really wanted PA gone.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2018, 01:56 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: It's more common than you realize.  In fact, in college it is not unusual for offenses to have both a run game coordinator and a passing game coordinator, neither of whom are the offensive coordinator.

His mentor was/is the great Jim McNally, former Bengals line coach who developed the concept of zone blocking.

Somewhere I read that the team has interest in McNally being Alexander's replacement, although I don't know if he has any interest in a return to coaching.

From what I've read, he lobbied for Alexander to succeed him.  I liked the lines he coached, but if he suggested to promote that piece of shit, I gotta pass.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 01:30 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Marvin is/was the man in charge why didn't he do something about it. Easy to blame PA for it.
Where's the accountability?

But you see Marvin hasn't been the man in charge ! Mike told Marvin he had to live with PA until now. Just like Mike brought back Chris Henry, just like Mike Brown made them roll with the offensive line they had last season, just like Mike tells them we're paying this turd all the way out on his contract and he's playing doesn't matter if he stinks ! and on and on a list a mile long.

Has this changed now ? Has MB really got his nose out of it ?

I doubt it, we'll see this off season
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 09:23 AM)Wyche Wrote: From what I've read, he lobbied for Alexander to succeed him.  I liked the lines he coached, but if he suggested to promote that piece of shit, I gotta pass.

Seems to me that Alexander's biggest problem was simply being hard headed.  He failed to evolve as the rest of the sport evolved around him, clinging to ideals who's time had come to pass.

With that said, I'm rather annoyed at the lack of any news on serious candidates to fill the OL coach position.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I thought PA was in charge of donut tasting and ivory polishing.
Blissfully happy he is gone.
Reply/Quote
Quote:With that said, I'm rather annoyed at the lack of any news on serious candidates to fill the OL coach position.
Remember, things are gonna move really fast.. Almost as fast as the glacier that formed the great lakes basin.. I'm not sure they're gonna move that fast.. But at least Hobson must have woken up early this morning to post the latest tidbit at 5:48am..He managed 7 paragraphs to tell us basically nothing..if you ain't impressed yet you'll never be impressed..lol
http://m.bengals.com/s/30838/360?itemUri=1341131871/01531015712152412126131361291110
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 12:57 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Oh god... That would royally suck

Well I'm 6'1, 220lbs, I lift and spar 3 days a week... What is Paul, 5'8, 230 lbs of gelatinous goo?

I like my chances  Cool

If you really want to hurt the man, break one of his 130,000$ pianos  Ninja

Also, after reading that article, I think I will help join the fight.... Forgot dude is also a Michigan fan  Sick Lalala
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 11:11 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Seems to me that Alexander's biggest problem was simply being hard headed.  He failed to evolve as the rest of the sport evolved around him, clinging to ideals who's time had come to pass.

With that said, I'm rather annoyed at the lack of any news on serious candidates to fill the OL coach position.

100% agree Sunset.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 12:57 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Oh god... That would royally suck

Well I'm 6'1, 220lbs, I lift and spar 3 days a week... What is Paul, 5'8, 230 lbs of gelatinous goo?

I like my chances  Cool

But can you dodge crane kick
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2018, 02:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Looks like it was Lazor’s idea to change up the blocking scheme. That’s good news.

Also, who else has been here during the whole Marvin tenure besides Mike Brown? Paul Alexander. Perhaps this team really could take the next step now that he’s gone. I’m intrigued to see what new OL are brought in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My big question is "will they just roll with Ced"?  He can't be a guard.  He has to be left tackle if anything, but if he is given the starting job (again) without any competition provided through the draft or free agency then we will know this is just more of the same worthless lip service.

I felt very strongly about Redmond at RG, and Westerman should be given a long look at as our center.  That, plus a draft pick or two could solidify the interior, but the questions at LT and RT will provide real insight as to whether or not this club will be satisfied with mediocrity.  
Reply/Quote
Shedding PA has got to help immensely.

Sure hope the new coaches first order of business is addressing the center position though.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote