Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Dawson Scouting Report
So I'm continuing my scouting reports on each Bengals draft pick. Some things came up and I had to put off writing this article for a bit, but it's finally up. Check it out, let me know what you think, and let me know what your own observations are on Dawson:

In case you missed my other scouting reports:
Cedric Ogubehi Scouting Report
Jake Fisher Scouting Report
Tyler Kroft Scouting Report
Reply/Quote
Seems like a Burfict clone He was one of those guys that I knew was a "Bengal guy" during the draft process.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 03:58 PM)J24 Wrote: Seems like a Burfict clone He was one of those guys that I knew was a "Bengal guy" during the draft process.

In most ways he is. I was hoping they would draft him, as Marvin Lewis does well with players like this. Just hoping Guenther can help push him to reach his potential.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 04:05 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: In most ways he is. I was hoping they would draft him, as Marvin Lewis does well with players like this. Just hoping Guenther can help push him to reach his potential.

I'm afraid his lack of strength and inability to shed could derail his transition to the pros.

But I was concerned that Tez would not be fast enough.

Look forward to seeing how this pans out
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 04:37 PM)3wt Wrote: I'm afraid his lack of strength and inability to shed could derail his transition to the pros.

Dawson is very good at shedding blocks, that is one of the biggest reasons i have such
high hopes for him. Plus he is always around the ball and can either pick a QB off or cause
a fumble at any moment. This guy could be a game changing type of linebacker.

My only concern is his size, but that might be fine as long as he is making plays.

To Wolf, great article, well done.

Rock On
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 04:37 PM)3wt Wrote: I'm afraid his lack of strength and inability to shed could derail his transition to the pros.

hopefully they have time to improve those things before hes forced into a very active roll...

Having Hawk incase Burfict needs more time should help that. Maybe start him off in sub packages to get him reps at first.
Reply/Quote
Serious question: what has Paul Dawson ever done to suggest that he's a "character concern?" I keep seeing and hearing stuff ad nauseam about how he has all of these red flags and character problems but have yet to see a single example of something that he's done. Was he born "bad" or did he actually do something to warrant the criticism? If so, what did he do and why does it stick with him so much?
Reply/Quote
He seems like a hell of an instinctive football player that always ends up around the ball. I'm really looking forward to seeing him on the field !
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 04:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Dawson is very good at shedding blocks, that is one of the biggest reasons i have such
high hopes for him. Plus he is always around the ball and can either pick a QB off or cause

My only concern is his size, but that might be fine as long as he is making plays.

Rock On

He's definitely around the ball and he has great hands
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 05:28 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Serious question: what has Paul Dawson ever done to suggest that he's a "character concern?"  I keep seeing and hearing stuff ad nauseam about how he has all of these red flags and character problems but have yet to see a single example of something that he's done.  Was he born "bad" or did he actually do something to warrant the criticism?  If so, what did he do and why does it stick with him so much?

He failed a drug test as a sophomore. Adderall was detected in his system. He then got a prescription for it and has not failed a test since. The thing I have seen talked about the most is that he is very frequently late for team meetings, weight room sessions, practice, etc.
Reply/Quote
I hope Paul Dawson turns out to be the "Burfict" clone everyone says he is, cause we need the help at linebacker. I'm expecting the worse for Tez. Micro fractures are not easy to come back from. I'm thinking he'll be out for the year, best case scenario him being on the PUP and coming back after 6 weeks. With Dawson sliding into the WILL role while he's out, I think we will be fine. If another linebacker goes down however, that will be a BIG problem.......
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 04:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Dawson is very good at shedding blocks, that is one of the biggest reasons i have such

Rock On
Actually the article says he's good at avoiding being blocked.  Once he is engaged, he has trouble shedding.  Time will tell how he does at the NFL level.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 03:44 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: So I'm continuing my scouting reports on each Bengals draft pick. Some things came up and I had to put off writing this article for a bit, but it's finally up. Check it out, let me know what you think, and let me know what your own observations are on Dawson:

In case you missed my other scouting reports:
Cedric Ogubehi Scouting Report
Jake Fisher Scouting Report
Tyler Kroft Scouting Report

Nice job.  

Wonder if he ends up starting.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 07:06 PM)OSUfan Wrote: He failed a drug test as a sophomore. Adderall was detected in his system. He then got a prescription for it and has not failed a test since. The thing I have seen talked about the most is that he is very frequently late for team meetings, weight room sessions, practice, etc.

Hopefully, maturity and simple recognition of what's at stake kick in and he buckles down and pursues greatness.  If Burfict can pass on anything to him, maybe it's what it takes to do that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 07:06 PM)OSUfan Wrote: He failed a drug test as a sophomore. Adderall was detected in his system. He then got a prescription for it and has not failed a test since. The thing I have seen talked about the most is that he is very frequently late for team meetings, weight room sessions, practice, etc.

Yeah, some said he is just not a team player but he sure looks like one for us so far...
(06-05-2015, 12:51 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Actually the article says he's good at avoiding being blocked.  Once he is engaged, he has trouble shedding.  Time will tell how he does at the NFL level.

Eh, i think about every Linebacker should try to avoid being blocked and once you are engaged it is hard for any linebacker.

From the tape i have watched he is as good as any shedding blocks. True though, time will tell.
Reply/Quote

His speed will get him out of numerous situations when it comes to blocking. But he won't be able to beat blocks consistently like that, especially with his size. Dawson has some flaws but they can be worked and coached out.

(06-04-2015, 05:28 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Serious question: what has Paul Dawson ever done to suggest that he's a "character concern?"  I keep seeing and hearing stuff ad nauseam about how he has all of these red flags and character problems but have yet to see a single example of something that he's done.  Was he born "bad" or did he actually do something to warrant the criticism?  If so, what did he do and why does it stick with him so much?

As OSUFan said the failed drug test and the being late to meetings. But I remember one TCU coach said he would text or call when he would be late. Dawson has also gone on the record saying he would stay in the film room hours later than everyone else; which shows while watching his own game tape.

(06-04-2015, 06:26 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: He seems like a hell of an instinctive football player that always ends up around the ball. I'm really looking forward to seeing him on the field !

He has great vision to see where the ball is and the instincts to know where it's going. He reads offenses extremely well and knows when to go for the big play.

(06-05-2015, 12:51 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Actually the article says he's good at avoiding being blocked.  Once he is engaged, he has trouble shedding.  Time will tell how he does at the NFL level.

That is correct. He uses his speed and arms very well to keep the opponent from engaging with him, he also gets skinny to get out of blocks. However, he struggles when fully engaged as is strength isn't the best.
Reply/Quote