Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Dawson who?
The media has only seen two of the six practices, but from what I’m hearing Dawson looks better than he did as a rookie. He’s fast and flows to the ball, but this is a big year for him. No question he’s a talented guy. His main challenge is proving he has down-to-down reliability and winning the trust of the coaches, just like it was last year.

this from bengals.com................sounds like he is coming around
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Dawson knows that he needs to step up this year or be regulated to ST again this season. He has moved over to SLB, because Vigil is Faster and a better cover LB. But the SLB position is crowded with Dansby, Rey, Flowers and now Dawson. It's going to be an interesting camp this year.
Reply/Quote
Clearly Dansby and Rey are in. I'm looking for Dawson to get the nod over Flowers.

Burfict, Maualuga, Dansby, Rey, Vigil and Dawson could be our LBs on the 53 man roster, with Rey, Vigil and Dawson on ST. And not to forget about a Safety playing some nickle LB. I just don't see any room for DiManche or Flowers except maybe the practice squad.

Of course, that's assuming there aren't any injuries and we don't have Burfict for the first 3 games.

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 10:33 AM)SFmajor Wrote: Dawson knows that he needs to step up this year or be regulated to ST again this season. He has moved over to SLB, because Vigil is Faster and a better cover LB. But the SLB position is crowded with Dansby, Rey, Flowers and now Dawson. It's going to be an interesting camp this year.

Don't see Rey getting much time at SLB. He's been the primary backup at WLB and MLB, and he's the likely starter at WLB to start the season. Not sure about Flowers. Backups need to play multiple positions, but he's been mainly at WLB previous years. Also didn't hear anything about Dawson moving to SAM.

WLB seems to be the crowded spot w Burfict, Rey, Dawson, Vigil, and maybe Flowers all best suited to play there.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 01:33 PM)Vanilla Heat Wrote: Don't see Rey getting much time at SLB. He's been the primary backup at WLB and MLB, and he's the likely starter at WLB to start the season. Not sure about Flowers. Backups need to play multiple positions, but he's been mainly at WLB previous years. Also didn't hear anything about Dawson moving to SAM.

WLB seems to be the crowded spot w Burfict, Rey, Dawson, Vigil, and maybe Flowers all best suited to play there.

You know your shit.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 01:33 PM)Vanilla Heat Wrote: Don't see Rey getting much time at SLB. He's been the primary backup at WLB and MLB, and he's the likely starter at WLB to start the season. Not sure about Flowers. Backups need to play multiple positions, but he's been mainly at WLB previous years. Also didn't hear anything about Dawson moving to SAM.

I went back to Hobson's article. You're correct. WLB is the position that is crowded right now. Burfict, Rey, Flowers, Vigil and DiManche are at the WILL. Rey has played all positions though. Hobson did point out that Dawson is at the SAM spot being Dansby. So maybe the staff feel that this is a good move for Dawson.
Reply/Quote
The are in "base" so rarely that nickel could be called "base" and 4-3 could be called "run".

I think Dawson will get his snaps in the preseason and likely prove that he can cover TEs in space, remain sound to his assignments, and make instinctual plays.

When he was drafted, I saw him as a great potential pairing with Burfict in nickel. Now, they have Dansby and Vigil. That is good quality depth and experience (Dansby). It is a good problem to deal with.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2016, 02:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I can kinda see what you two are getting at, but saying "if we don't constantly draft crappy players with our compensatory picks, we won't be able to draft decent players later" seems like more a knock on the Bengals FO than a good reason of why you should keep trying to horde comp picks at the cost of making your team better.

Since 2012 (they didn't know they'd be in the playoffs in 2011) to 2015 (can't judge the 2016 picks yet), rather than try to get some real FA help and win a SB (SEA, NE, DEN), they horded comp picks to get: 

Free agents flop at a high rate.

I would agree with you if every free agent we signed was a success, but it does not work like that.

For every team you point to that has won by signing free agents I can point to a team that has fail miserably by signing free agents.  It is a circular argument that proves nothing.  
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2016, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think comp picks make a huge difference in who they sign.

(06-03-2016, 02:27 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I think it makes a huge difference.  This team generally won't sign a free agent now unless they are cut by their own team.

Yeah, I will cede this point
Reply/Quote
WOLB seems crfowded because we play two of them at the same time in our nickle package, but Dansby is supposed to be very good in coverage.

I don't really see a spot for Mays.  It will be interesting to see what happens with him.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2016, 11:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Free agents flop at a high rate.

I would agree with you if every free agent we signed was a success, but it does not work like that.

For every team you point to that has won by signing free agents I can point to a team that has fail miserably by signing free agents.  It is a circular argument that proves nothing.  

If you look at teams that won in the preceding year (before signing a quality FA), I'd bet that there are far more success stories than stories where the FA was clearly the biggest reason for that team's decline.

Signing quality FA's isn't as risky as you make it seem.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2016, 01:33 PM)Vanilla Heat Wrote: Don't see Rey getting much time at SLB. He's been the primary backup at WLB and MLB, and he's the likely starter at WLB to start the season. Not sure about Flowers. Backups need to play multiple positions, but he's been mainly at WLB previous years. Also didn't hear anything about Dawson moving to SAM.

Vigil is better suited as a MLB to be honest. He will be backing up Maualuga, and I see Flowers as a SAM rather than WLB.

The thing is Rey will probably get the nod with snaps over Dawson. While I may disagree with it, I see it happening.

Although I would not be surprised if after next year the Bengals move Burfict to MLB. Burfict was viewed as a inside linebacker coming out of college, so it wouldn't surprise me if he gets moved next year.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote

They had flowers penciled in as the potential starter @ Sam before the Dansby signing...

V Rey can play all 3 although some not as good as others.

Vigil and Dawson kinda unknown...

But like others have said Rey M is getting older.  Burfict might slid inside(although not this year) although I like him where hes at...  Dawson might work his way into nickel packages.
Reply/Quote
Getting confusing now on LB's. Who's on first, who is on second and who is on third. Honestly, I think the only one who knows is the Top Secret Board in PG's office. All will be revealed soon.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2016, 11:24 PM)J24 Wrote: Depends on how he plays in preseason. Last year he played well.

I think they will keep him either way. He has some potential that is for sure. And I don't mean Margus Hunt potential lol. 
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2016, 05:09 PM)SFmajor Wrote: Getting confusing now on LB's.  Who's on first, who is on second and who is on third.  Honestly, I think the only one who knows is the Top Secret Board in PG's office.  All will be revealed soon.

Here is my prediction early on without Burfict in running situations...

SAM - Dansby, Vigil, Flowers
MIKE - Maualuga, Rey, Vigil
WILL - Rey, Dawson, Flowers

Passing situations...

SAM - Dansby
MIKE - Rey
WILL - Vigil/Dawson/Flowers (whoever is the best cover backer)

When Burfict gets back in running situations...

MIKE - Maualuga, Rey, Vigil, Burfict
WILL - Burfict, Rey, Dawson

When Burfict gets back in passing situations...

MIKE - Rey, Vigil
WILL - Burfict, Vigil/Dawson, Flowers
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2016, 04:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Here is my prediction early on without Burfict in running situations...

Passing situations...

SAM - Dansby
MIKE - Rey

MIKE - Rey, Vigil

That would require the Bengals to keep 7 LBs when Burfict returns. I think a LB will be cut once Burfict returns....probably Flowers unless he really steps up in TC and the first 3 games.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-09-2016, 04:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Here is my prediction early on without Burfict in running situations...

Passing situations...

SAM - Dansby
MIKE - Rey

MIKE - Rey, Vigil

wasn't V Rey very bad vs the pass?
Reply/Quote
The Bengals played seven LB's last year if you count Chris Carter. He was listed as a LB on the roster. Another thing to keep in mind is Special Teams and which veteran LB would be there. I don't think V. Rey will play ST this year. My guess for LB's on ST is Dawson, Vigil, DiManche and Roach. I don't include Flowers on ST because of his shoulder injury last year. I admit that it's possible he will play ST, but we won't know until training camp starts and the pre-season games.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2016, 01:08 PM)SFmajor Wrote: The Bengals played seven LB's last year if you count Chris Carter. He was listed as a LB on the roster. Another thing to keep in mind is Special Teams and which veteran LB would be there. I don't think V. Rey will play ST this year. My guess for LB's on ST is Dawson, Vigil, DiManche and Roach. I don't include Flowers on ST because of his shoulder injury last year. I admit that it's possible he will play ST, but we won't know until training camp starts and the pre-season games.

Dimanche and Roach probably wont even make the team. Maybe one of them if we keep 7 LBs until Burfict comes back. No way Rey doesnt play STs. He is a valuable LB but he is also one of our best on STs.

VRey, Maualuga, Dansby
Dawson, Vigil, Flowers
Is probably our 6.
Reply/Quote