Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Guenther Interview
Here is a 13:44 minute interview with Paul Guenther from Sirius XM NFL radio recorded at the end of minicamp:

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmnfl/061616-paul-guenther

He expects William Jackson III to play early and often this year.  He said Nick Vigil is the prototypical linebacker of this era, really good in coverage and compares him Luke Kuechly.

Summary from Cincy Jungle:

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/6/18/11966556/paul-guenther-says-william-jackson-iii-will-play-early-on-gushes-over
Reply/Quote
Special teams with minimal rotation into the defense.

Reply/Quote
Guenther on Vigil:

Quote:Nick Vigil, has been impressing Guenther.

"He's been unbelievable," Guenther said. "He's the prototypical linebacker of this age with the passing game. He's really good in coverage, he's real smart--as a matter of fact, when we watched him on tape, he reminded me of a local guy from Cincinnati, which was Luke Kuechly in the play style. He's been repping in with our first group and he's been mixing in and it's not too big for him, so we're excited about him as well."

Having Maualuga out has created early opportunities for Vigil. Sounds like he's made the most them. Cant wait for preseason games.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I like Vigil but hate the Keuchly comparison. Hated it since it first was murmured.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2016, 05:03 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: Here is a 13:44 minute interview with Paul Guenther from Sirius XM NFL radio recorded at the end of minicamp:

https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmnfl/061616-paul-guenther

He expects William Jackson III to play early and often this year.  He said Nick Vigil is the prototypical linebacker of this era, really good in coverage and compares him Luke Kuechly.

Summary from Cincy Jungle:

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/6/18/11966556/paul-guenther-says-william-jackson-iii-will-play-early-on-gushes-over

Why does Paulie allow three of his starting defensive players leave the field with 1:30 left in a sure win in a playoff game?
Reply/Quote
Vigil actually has a possibility for play time. Rey usually misses a couple games a years. If Vigil has a great preseason and plays good in those couple games he could steal a spot.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2016, 11:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I like Vigil but hate the Keuchly comparison. Hated it since it first was murmured.

Yea but they're both white so they must both be really smart and practically the same player.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2016, 12:53 AM)treee Wrote: Yea but they're both white so they must both be really smart and practically the same player.

I'm still wondering how neither Shipley nor Whalen turned into Wes Welker.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2016, 12:53 AM)treee Wrote: Yea but they're both white so they must both be really smart and practically the same player.

IDK, I see Vigil as an Urlacher type of player Ninja
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2016, 11:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I like Vigil but hate the Keuchly comparison. Hated it since it first was murmured.

Why, there are similarities for sure.  Both are known coming out as high end tacklers, smart type players that make up for a lack of size at middle linebacker. 

Vigil 6'2  239 at combine,, Keuchly 6'3 242 at combine.

Vigil 5th in tackles Senior Year, Keuchly 1st in tackles Senior year.

Comparing a player on their skill sets and style to another player (even if that player is better) happens all the time and is not that far fetched.  
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2016, 10:16 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Why, there are similarities for sure.  Both are known coming out as high end tacklers, smart type players that make up for a lack of size at middle linebacker. 

Comparing a player on their skill sets and style to another player (even if that player is better) happens all the time and is not that far fetched.  

Completely different players.

I watched the tape on Vigil, and his cover skills are supbar.

Keuchly on the other hand has the best cover skills of any LB ive ever watched.

There are some similarities in play style inside the box, but I really don't think they are that similar other than size, position and sadly skin color.

Vigil is closer to Laurinitis to me (sticking with the white comparisons).

Vigil said himself he compares himself to Bobby Wagner. Wagner has smaller size, but they come from the same defense and play much alike eachother, IDK why we cant compare him to Wagner, cuz Wagner is great and they really are similar players.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2016, 11:52 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Completely different players.

I watched the tape on Vigil, and his cover skills are supbar.

Keuchly on the other hand has the best cover skills of any LB ive ever watched.

There are some similarities in play style inside the box, but I really don't think they are that similar other than size, position and sadly skin color.

Vigil is closer to Laurinitis to me (sticking with the white comparisons).

Vigil said himself he compares himself to Bobby Wagner. Wagner has smaller size, but they come from the same defense and play much alike eachother, IDK why we cant compare him to Wagner, cuz Wagner is great and they really are similar players.

From the tape i watched i agree. I think Vigil is decent in coverage but he is no Keuchly.

Wagner is a proper comparison as Vigil says himself. Nothing wrong with that.
Reply/Quote
Every year we hear boasts about our rookie class and more often than not we don't see much of them after preseason, outside special teams.

Maybe this year will be different, but our first few games appear tough on paper and I can see the coaches stick with the vets as much as possible.

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2016, 04:11 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Every year we hear boasts about our rookie class and more often than not we don't see much of them after preseason, outside special teams.

Maybe this year will be different, but our first few games appear tough on paper and I can see the coaches stick with the vets as much as possible.

Naturally, you want your rookies to not be forced into action from day one.  However, it is still nice to read that the coaches feel good about them.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2016, 05:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Naturally, you want your rookies to not be forced into action from day one.  However, it is still nice to read that the coaches feel good about them.

Yes it is. I loved the interview. Just wondered how much we're really going to see them play defense. I had expected to see a lot more of Dennard than we have.

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2016, 06:06 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yes it is. I loved the interview. Just wondered how much we're really going to see them play defense. I had expected to see a lot more of Dennard than we have.

Funny that you mention Dennard.  I was just reading this article about him, while you were posting your reply..

http://http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/6/17/11963966/darqueze-dennard-talks-recovery-and-being-bengals-top-corner

He seems confident about recovery from the groin injury, and feels like he's ready to come in and establish himself as a premier shut down  CBs in the NFL.  But, of course, he would say that.. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2016, 06:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Funny that you mention Dennard.  I was just reading this article about him, while you were posting your reply..

http://http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/6/17/11963966/darqueze-dennard-talks-recovery-and-being-bengals-top-corner

He seems confident about recovery from the groin injury, and feels like he's ready to come in and establish himself as a premier shut down  CBs in the NFL.  But, of course, he would say that.. 

I think Dennard can back it up if he can stay healthy...

Unlike Kirkpatrick when he was saying somewhat the same thing.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2016, 06:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Funny that you mention Dennard.  I was just reading this article about him, while you were posting your reply..

well he wont give up any TDs unless he gets on the field shutting down the gatoraid stand.!!!!
Reply/Quote
I like what I'm hearing about WJ3 and Vigil, but I'm not expecting them to play as much as the coaches are saying. We hear this every year how rookie X is looking good and will play early. Then they ride the bench.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2016, 10:16 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Why, there are similarities for sure.  Both are known coming out as high end tacklers, smart type players that make up for a lack of size at middle linebacker. 

Don't let Tedy Bruschi hear you say that.  He totally eviscerated Lafelle and (indirectly) when Lafelle compared Dalton to Brady
Reply/Quote