Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paulie: Next Head Coach?
Gruden would be a great coach, however I don't MB would pay him enough.
Reply/Quote
Why would we go for the best we could get in a head coach. That would shake things up too much. If we hire one of our assistants and not rock the boat too much. As little change as possible so we get better and better each year. The plan works now so why change?
Reply/Quote
Hell to the no on Guenther. He's been a good D Coordinator, but I do not want him running the team.

As someone else mentioned, I would love to get rid of every last coach and start over. Let the new head coach come in and pick his group. The problem with that is Mike Brown. At bare minimum, Alexander the Great will go nowhere until he wants to or dies, period.

The other problem is still Mike Brown. Money aside, he's not going to bring in a new coach and give him the power Marvin has. So basically, we'd be starting back at square one and having Brown be more involved again. We all know how much that POS knows about football.

That's why every year is a Catch-22 to me. We need to replace Marvin, but that would mean settling for a coach that will put up with Mike Brown's bullshit and having to let our GM make the decisions and have the power.

The absolute best thing that could happen to the Bengals is for the Brown family to sell the team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 06:10 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I don't know why, but I'm not too worried about what Mike does once Marv leaves. I feel like maybe he's learned a thing or two by now, and that the team ROYALLY SUCKS when he's meddling with things. Plus he's what, 83 years-old now? On would think he'd be more hands off... Plus he did say "it's Marvin and Katie's team now" in an interview a couple years back. I would hope that means the next coach would also have a huge say in matters... But again, this is mostly wishful thinking and it is Mike Brown we're talking about. But I'm not hesitant in the least about moving on from Marv. I don't believe it's an automatic sentence to 90s Bungle football like many do...

Plus, we have yet to win a single playoff game since Marvin started so how much better are we really? Sure making the playoffs and winning the division on occasion is nice and all, but what good is that if we're useless in when it counts? Zero playoff wins in 7 tries, an abysmal Primetime record, and getting absolutely owned by a hated division rival... Let's be real, we're still a complete joke to the rest of the football world. 

I wouldn't hold your breath. I don't think Katie will run things much different than the old man. As for people freaking out about going back to the 90's, that wasent just a coaching problem, we really did suck. But most of all we didn't have a QB, so we was pretty much like Cleveland. Hell we have two decent QB's now that can't at least be game managers to help a new coach out. I would love to see Sean Peyton come here and be givin full control, but like you said it's all wishful thinking.
Reply/Quote
I don't know who the best choice would be, but I'm leaning toward someone not previously affiliated with the team. My ideal HC candidate would be the one that follows a philosophy of "fundamentals first". By that, I mean blocking and tackling are the fundamentals of football; Weather it be on offense, defense, or special teams, the team that blocks and tackles the best is usually going to win the game.

Now as far as personality, I don't care. By "I don't care", I mean it doesn't matter if he is a disciplinarian, or a player's coach. As long as he can get his coaching staff and player to buy into the mantra of fundamentals first. Who cares what approach he uses to get there?

Yes, I realize that some are going to want to flame me for thinking about a fundamentalist type of coach. Oh, Sunset, we need an offensive guru, or Oh, Sunset we need a defensive mastermind. Blah, blah, blah. The key to success on offense is good blocking, the key to success on defense is good tackling. Same goes with special team.

So, if I were forced to choose someone from the existing Bengals coaching staff to replace Marvin Lewis? Most definitely, Darrin Simmons.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 04:18 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I have never been a big fan. I guess Mike Zimmer spoiled me.  
And I don't want to put the blame all on the defensive coordinator.  

I don't know for certain that Zimmer would've been the answer at HC but I find myself wondering again why our assistant coaches move on before the Steelers/Denver/New England do (OK, we know some assistant coaches in New England have moved on and some have been terrible). 

Remember when we had a reasonable chance of stopping a team on 4th and 1? That happened under Zimmer. Is it that hard to find another coach that demands that level of play from our guys? Yes teams are scoring fewer points against us, but in part that is because they can score fewer points against us and still win by running all over us and controlling the clock. 

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 08:40 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I don't know for certain that Zimmer would've been the answer at HC but I find myself wondering again why our assistant coaches move on before the Steelers/Denver/New England do (OK, we know some assistant coaches in New England have moved on and some have been terrible). 

Remember when we had a reasonable chance of stopping a team on 4th and 1? That happened under Zimmer. Is it that hard to find another coach that demands that level of play from our guys? Yes teams are scoring fewer points against us, but in part that is because they can score fewer points against us and still win by running all over us and controlling the clock. 

Zimmer isn't really doing good in Minnesotta. His style of yelling at players and being fiery to motivate them only scales so far. There's a good chance he could be fired after this season.

As to why our coaches get HC jobs before the Steelers ones do? I think it's because we're considered one of the 'poorly managed' franchises in the NFL so when a coordinator come sin here and has success they're showing a lot. With the Steelers and Patriots...a lot of coordinators succeed.
Reply/Quote
To anyone that thinks that Jon Gruden or Cowher have turned down coaching opportunities for years...and would come back to coach the Bengals...a team who has a small scouting department and doesn't spend heavily in free agency...with largely the same management structure in place that hasn't won a playoff game in 26+ years...

It has NO CHANCE of happening.

Good coaches want total control of a franchise. No way would the Bengals give them that.
Reply/Quote
I like Guenther as DC, but don't really want him as HC. If this team falls off bad enough to get Marvin fired, then I want a total culture change. No holdovers taking over.

Ideally, considering the young offensive skill players on this roster, I'd like a young up and coming OC hired to be HC. I don't know who that is TBH. That will be revealed when games are played. I want someone who can get the most out of guys like Green, Ross, Boyd, and Mixon. Someone who will be aggressive.

I agree that no big name veteran HC will come here. No way in hell. We need a guy that wants to make a name for himself using all of the weaponry we have in place.
Reply/Quote
IF the Bengals actually let Marvin go after this season and hired Jersey Shore Paulie G as head coach, I would consider it the "typical" lazy hiring from the Bengals front office. There is no way he should be a head coach and if that scenario did play out that way, we would continue the Mike Brown trend and never see a playoff victory running he's the organization.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 05:05 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I'm pretty sure that's who most people are expecting including myself. After letting some pretty good ones slip away over the years this seems like a typical MB move. If this D continues to play as poor as they've shown so far by not being able to execute the basics, how the hell can anyone justify this guy as HC. I don't agree with Marvin still being here but I get the whole continuity argument. But at some point you have to just clean house. This whole culture needs to change.

The thing that worries me is the fact that Marvin has been givin more control over this team than any coach has in a long time. So does it really matter who the next coach is? No coach wants to come here to be a puppet, a yes man. It's almost a guarantee the next coach will be from within unless a college coach is willing to take that step.

So Paul Gunther and Bryan Price would be the 2 people running the major sports in Cincinnati. The thought of that makes me want to vomit.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 12:04 PM)GodFather Wrote: IF the Bengals actually let Marvin go after this season and hired Jersey Shore Paulie G as head coach, I would consider it the "typical" lazy hiring from the Bengals front office. There is no way he should be a head coach and if that scenario did play out that way, we would continue the Mike Brown trend and never see a playoff victory running he's the organization.

I think we'd need to have a bad season to hire someone from the outside. The front office is rumored to be big fans of Guenther and see him as some kind of gem in the making for a potential HC. IF we go 8-8 or 9-7 and miss the playoffs, I could see us let Marvin go and promote Paulie. Mike/Katie would probably see him as the kind of change (but not too much change) to get us over the hump.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Guenther has fallen prey to being a Bengal for too long. He's even losing the Zimmer touch. He started off under Bresh, and I believe that is where his defensive roots have returned.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 04:16 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I think we'd need to have a bad season to hire someone from the outside. The front office is rumored to be big fans of Guenther and see him as some kind of gem in the making for a potential HC. IF we go 8-8 or 9-7 and miss the playoffs, I could see us let Marvin go and promote Paulie. Mike/Katie would probably see him as the kind of change (but not too much change) to get us over the hump.

But do you honestly think that would be enough to make this team a serious contender with other top NFL teams?
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 07:57 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I wouldn't hold your breath. I don't think Katie will run things much different than the old man. 

I don't know. Katie has not really had any imput on player personnel decisions, correct? So I would think once MB retires and Katie is the new owner, she'd basically hire someone to be GM or some other player personnel guy (think Duke Tobin). Now, I CAN see her giving all those responsibilities to the HC, but I don't see her meddling in player decisions.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Byron Leftwich anyone?  Rumors are saying, when not if he becomes an NFL Head coach.....
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 04:16 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I think we'd need to have a bad season to hire someone from the outside. The front office is rumored to be big fans of Guenther and see him as some kind of gem in the making for a potential HC. IF we go 8-8 or 9-7 and miss the playoffs, I could see us let Marvin go and promote Paulie. Mike/Katie would probably see him as the kind of change (but not too much change) to get us over the hump.

I don't know...the front office seems to be rumored to like the internal guys so they can pick someone who can coexist with Bengals Management.

Someone from outside may come in and assess things and want to make changes.

Remember Marvin got passed over for A LOT of HC jobs years ago. He didn't have much power when he 1st came here.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2017, 12:04 PM)GodFather Wrote: IF the Bengals actually let Marvin go after this season and hired Jersey Shore Paulie G as head coach, I would consider it the "typical" lazy hiring from the Bengals front office. There is no way he should be a head coach and if that scenario did play out that way, we would continue the Mike Brown trend and never see a playoff victory running he's the organization.

I am not convinced that he is really any good as a DC! So I definitely would not want him as the HC. He can't seem to get the players to tackle properly, or play consistently and aggressively. The crap about opponents not scoring many points with PG as DC just means they don't have to score a lot, because the Bengals' offense score fewer. Refer to close games lost in 2016. It's going to be another long and frustrating season.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2017, 07:07 PM)firstand10 Wrote: Gruden would be a great coach, however I don't MB would pay him enough.

True - Mikey boy will hire the cheapest available yes man - i.e. Jeff Fisher
Reply/Quote
Zim, Jay Grud, Hue, and DC Paulie G have all been awesome coordinators here. For some reason only Zim gets the love. I'd be fine with Paulie as the head man.
Maybe Minnesota, Washington or Cleveland will get impatient and make a dumb firing
Reply/Quote