Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pay per Mile tax for Oregon
(05-21-2015, 10:56 AM)Benton Wrote: I did a piece on it back during cash for clunkers. Basically, it's 'if this works (more fuel efficient vehicles on the road), then we aren't going to be able to meet the road fund in 10 years, unless everyone starts driving 3-4 times as much.'

But for the last decade or so I've been preaching reform to how we allocate road dollars, both at the state and federal level. Repaving roads that don't need paving, or building roads that don't need built, instead of building up funds to replace an infrastructure that in many areas was put in place in the 1930s-1940s is ludicrous.

The way those funds are allocated is definitely a frustrating thing to look at. Just on the municipal level I get irritated because of roads being repaved that don't really need it, but then you can look at the road in front of my parents which does need it and hasn't been repaved in 20 years.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-21-2015, 11:25 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The way those funds are allocated is definitely a frustrating thing to look at. Just on the municipal level I get irritated because of roads being repaved that don't really need it, but then you can look at the road in front of my parents which does need it and hasn't been repaved in 20 years.

Yup.

The town I live in has a very busy street that's about a mile lone. It gets repaved every other year. It's been widened twice in the last 6 years and next year they will add additional lanes. They keep working on it because the county always has extra road money to blow — if you don't spend it, you don't get that much next year. On the flipside, there's a 10-15 mile stretch of interstate that for over a decade was unusable on one lane because it was so bad (I24 between the last stop in Kentucky and the Tennessee line).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-21-2015, 11:43 AM)Benton Wrote: Yup.

The town I live in has a very busy street that's about a mile lone. It gets repaved every other year. It's been widened twice in the last 6 years and next year they will add additional lanes. They keep working on it because the county always has extra road money to blow — if you don't spend it, you don't get that much next year. On the flipside, there's a 10-15 mile stretch of interstate that for over a decade was unusable on one lane because it was so bad (I24 between the last stop in Kentucky and the Tennessee line).

You know crazy thought here..... Allow carry over in budgets or a bonus for coming in Under budget.

The roads and bridges boon doggle is a joke . Bid those jobs out to private construction .... And just drop the gov workers.

Stuff like this is why I hate the gov playing a significant role in our lives. When I lived up north, we always cleared our own street when a lot of snow came down because we were more efficient than the gov..... Same with filling holes. I know we weren't supposed to do it but we did it anyway. And I didn't live in the country. I lived in a city.
Clocking mileage would make for a nice business opportunity to sell a gimzo to roll back the odometer.
(05-21-2015, 06:06 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Clocking mileage would make for a nice business opportunity to sell a gimzo to roll back the odometer.

Because odometer fraud is a very new concept of course.
Paying per mile makes sense. It's essentially the same concept as a flat tax: pay a fair share, but one that does not inherently target lower income individuals as sales taxes do.

I LOLed a lot when fake libertarians (Liberty republicans) in Va supported Cooch over the libertarian because of this. Mile trackers are not as bad as supporting bans on blowjobs
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-21-2015, 11:33 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Paying per mile makes sense. It's essentially the same concept as a flat tax: pay a fair share, but one that does not inherently target lower income individuals as sales taxes do.

I LOLed a lot when fake libertarians (Liberty republicans) in Va  supported Cooch over the libertarian because of this. Mile trackers are not as bad as supporting bans on blowjobs

Yeah, that was sad. It was actually when I started to stop paying attention to Ron Paul, when he backed the Cooch by saying he was the most liberty minded candidate. :snark:
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
How would or could the government track your miles?
How would someone pay their "Per Mile Tax"?
What about those families that make $24,000.00 a year, should they have to pay the same rate as the family who makes $1,000,000.00 per year?

I know states are low on funds for roads and such. I do believe that money from tolls and gas taxes only cover maybe a third of the money needed and with more and more people driving less and with cars that can go farther on one gallon than, states are going to be hard pressed to find money for repairs. I just don't see how a "Per Mile Tax" will work.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
(05-22-2015, 10:13 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: How would or could the government track your miles?
How would someone pay their "Per Mile Tax"?
What about those families that make $24,000.00 a year, should they have to pay the same rate as the family who makes $1,000,000.00 per year?

I know states are low on funds for roads and such. I do believe that money from tolls and gas taxes only cover maybe a third of the money needed and with more and more people driving less and with cars that can go farther on one gallon than, states are going to be hard pressed to find money for repairs. I just don't see how a "Per Mile Tax" will work.

They will wanna Attach a tattler I am sure.