Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pearl Jam
I figured we had a Nirvana thread so why not Pearl Jam?

There newest album Lightning Bolt came out in 2013 and imo was there best album since Yield. Obviously Ten is their most memorable album with songs like Even Flow and Alive but the albums No Code, Vitalogy and Yield have all risen pretty high on my list as time has gone on. I'd love to see them live.

Some of the best songs...

Alive
Hail Hail
Getaway
Why Go
Deep
Corduroy
Glorified G
Rear View Mirror
No Way
Reply/Quote
YES!!!!!  Finally a Pearl Jam thread!  Seen them 3 times, Council Bluffs in '03, Lincoln in '14 (weekend I got engaged), and Chicago Wrigley Field in '16.  Which, other than seeing them in Seattle, is like a Mecca for me....Wrigley freakin' field!!!!!   All three shows were incredible. By far, my favorite all time band.

That's a good list!  Here's a few more to add.

I Am Mine
Elderly Woman Behind the Counter In A Small Town
Black
Bu$hleaguer
Nothing As It Seems
Garden
Indifference
Sleight of Hand
Porch
State of Love and Trust
Yellow Ledbetter
In My Tree
Lukin
Release
Crown of Thorns (cover)
Little Wing (cover)
Satan's Bed
Once

At last count, I had over 100 of their cds and bootleg shows. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2016, 01:18 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: YES!!!!!  Finally a Pearl Jam thread!  Seen them 3 times, Council Bluffs in '03, Lincoln in '14 (weekend I got engaged), and Chicago Wrigley Field in '16.  Which, other than seeing them in Seattle, is like a Mecca for me....Wrigley freakin' field!!!!!   All three shows were incredible. By far, my favorite all time band.

That's a good list!  Here's a few more to add.

I Am Mine
Elderly Woman Behind the Counter In A Small Town
Black
Bu$hleaguer
Nothing As It Seems
Garden
Indifference
Sleight of Hand
Porch
State of Love and Trust
Yellow Ledbetter
In My Tree
Lukin
Release
Crown of Thorns (cover)
Little Wing (cover)
Satan's Bed
Once

At last count, I had over 100 of their cds and bootleg shows. 

Damn! 3 times? I need to start catching up.

I forgot to add In My Tree on my list such a good song I could've easily added Lowlight and Wishlist on the list too. In Hiding and In My Tree remind me of each other. I never knew they did a cover of Little Wing I'll have to check that out. If you ever get the chance to watch the documentary Pearl Jam had made about their formation and career it's really good. I think it's called Twenty.
Reply/Quote
I saw them in 1991 when they opened for the Red Hot Chili Peppers... They were wasted, and their sound system was awful... I can still say I saw them before they were well known though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2016, 05:14 PM)jason Wrote: I saw them in 1991 when they opened for the Red Hot Chili Peppers... They were wasted, and their sound system was awful... I can still say I saw them before they were well known though.
Did that impact how you perceived them moving forward?

When The Black Crows released Shake Your Moneymaker, I REALLY dug them.  I caught them 3 times on that tour.   The third time they opened for ZZ Top and I drove 3 hours back to town to catch them in the middle of vacation.  They were tanked, and it was absolutely awful.  Never saw them again after, and it really impacted how I perceive their music.  The songs stopped sounding as good because they were able to do that to the fans who spent their hard earned money on the performance.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 09:01 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Did that impact how you perceived them moving forward?

When The Black Crows released Shake Your Moneymaker, I REALLY dug them.  I caught them 3 times on that tour.   The third time they opened for ZZ Top and I drove 3 hours back to town to catch them in the middle of vacation.  They were tanked, and it was absolutely awful.  Never saw them again after, and it really impacted how I perceive their music.  The songs stopped sounding as good because they were able to do that to the fans who spent their hard earned money on the performance.
I'd only seen the video for Alive on 120 Minutes on MTV a week or so before I saw them. It was that early on in their career. I didn't know what to expect. They weren't very good that night. I've seen videos of their live shows in the months and years that followed that... They seem like their amazing live... That night Smashing Pumpkins, who went on after Pearl Jam, were better. That was back when Gish was out. I bought Ten not long after that show, and loved it. It was cool to see Pearl Jam in its infancy as a bad live though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Corduroy and Rear View Mirror were on loop in college for me while destroying everyone in Quake 2.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 09:01 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Did that impact how you perceived them moving forward?

I saw them with Top as well, and they were damn good that show.  Where did you catch them?

Not to shit on the OP parade, but Soundgarden, STP, and Alice in Chains were the superior acts out of Seattle during this era.....Nirvana was highly overrated to me, and Pearl Jam even moreso.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 11:07 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I saw them with Top as well, and they were damn good that show.  Where did you catch them?

Not to shit on the OP parade, but Soundgarden, STP, and Alice in Chains were the superior acts out of Seattle during this era.....Nirvana was highly overrated to me, and Pearl Jam even moreso.
I think they are all a bit overrated. I can take Pearl Jam in small doses. Interstate Love Song by STP (not sure they're from Seattle) is an amazing song.... I'm just over Nirvana minus some of their more obscure songs... Teen Spirit will get a radio turned off quick around me. The same goes for Jeremy.

I do really like early Soundgarden though. Really smart metal with a singer who could break glass with his voice.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Pearl Jam is as useless as College. They are one of those bands that everybody likes, cause they think it is cool. Flannel shirts and cut up jeans. If you have a point worth making you make that point and move on with your life. You don't keep making records and complaining. Nobody can have that much wrong with them to where they have to write so many bland songs, and nobody cares that you have a medium to make your case about social injustice. This is proof alone that they will keep pumping out these little ballads until the money runs dry... Popular music is just that popular music. Eddie is the 90's generation of Lady Gaga or Just Bieber.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 05:23 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: Pearl Jam is as useless as College. They are one of those bands that everybody likes, cause they think it is cool. Flannel shirts and cut up jeans. If you have a point worth making you make that point and move on with your life. You don't keep making records and complaining. Nobody can have that much wrong with them to where they have to write so many bland songs, and nobody cares that you have a medium to make your case about social injustice. This is proof alone that they will keep pumping out these little ballads until the money runs dry... Popular music is just that popular music. Eddie is the 90's generation of Lady Gaga or Just Bieber.
By your definition, who isn't a pop star? I don't ask that question in an argumentative way. I'm sure that we would agree on a lot of them. I just think it's a lil hyperbolic to compare Eddie Vedder to Justin Bieber. I'm just interested because Bengal Yankee and I went round and round on the topic years ago on the old board. His contention was the popular music equals pop; where as I think pop is a form of music.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 11:07 AM)Wyche Wrote: I saw them with Top as well, and they were damn good that show.  Where did you catch them?

Richmond Colliseum
Reply/Quote
I like the song Sirens. In assuming it's off of that aforementioned 2013 album.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 08:01 PM)jason Wrote: By your definition, who isn't a pop star? I don't ask that question in an argumentative way. I'm sure that we would agree on a lot of them. I just think it's a lil hyperbolic to compare Eddie Vedder to Justin Bieber. I'm just interested because Bengal Yankee and I went round and round on the topic years ago on the old board. His contention was the popular music equals pop; where as I think pop is a form of music.

Easy, example Tool = Popular Overdone, Repeat cause it sells.
Puscifer = Crap I have exploited Tool to the point, I have to have better creative outlet that has meaning.  

POP music is a genre of music, however it becomes popular because the kiddies like it. The best example is Dick Clark and the American Bandstand, bands were becoming popular and then on this show became more popular and they were stuck in this bubble of what people perceived them on radio or television. This is what they became. John Lennon even stated he had to grow up cause he was no longer the 20 something who sang about She Loves You. As far as Eddie and Justin, they come from the same mechanism that turned the wheel in the 90's for Eddie and Pearl Jam was the same mechanism that turns the wheel for Justin. Record Companies making money cause they knew it would sell. The kids will eat it right up. Just a different format for a new generation of kids. Therefore it is a matter of taste and what era you grew up. PS NIRVANA BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! F U NIRBANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 05:22 PM)jason Wrote: I think they are all a bit overrated. I can take Pearl Jam in small doses. Interstate Love Song by STP (not sure they're from Seattle) is an amazing song.... I'm just over Nirvana minus some of their more obscure songs... Teen Spirit will get a radio turned off quick around me. The same goes for Jeremy.

I do really like early Soundgarden though. Really smart metal with a singer who could break glass with his voice.

Yeah....just lump STP in there due to grunge affiliation....apologies.  Really, the whole album with Interstate Love Song on it, Purple, is good. Forgot about ol' Beck too.  Odelay is a superb album in my opinion.  I would agree that they're all a bit overrated.

When I refer to Soundgarden, Badmotorfinger comes to mind.....Outshined is one of my favorite tunes ever.  Although I do have Superunknown as well, and liked Louder than Love (had the cassette, lol).

My favorite band from the era? RATM, hands down.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 09:14 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Richmond Colliseum

Caught 'em at Freedom Hall a few months earlier in the tour.....one of the first gigs they opened.  Maybe that was the deal. LOL 

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 02:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah....just lump STP in there due to grunge affiliation....apologies.  Really, the whole album with Interstate Love Song on it, Purple, is good. Forgot about ol' Beck too.  Odelay is a superb album in my opinion.  I would agree that they're all a bit overrated.

When I refer to Soundgarden, Badmotorfinger comes to mind.....Outshined is one of my favorite tunes ever.  Although I do have Superunknown as well, and liked Louder than Love (had the cassette, lol).

My favorite band from the era?  RATM, hands down.

I saw Beck live at a summer festival and it was by far the best concert I've ever seen.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 02:17 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I saw Beck live at a summer festival and it was by far the best concert I've ever seen.

Cool man, I'd like to check him out some time.  I just saw a good one this year at a festival....Robert Randolph and the Family Band.  I had never seen a band switch instruments, multiple times, in the middle of a song.  Also caught the Old Crow Medicine Show at the Romp Festival this year....good show too.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 05:23 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: Pearl Jam is as useless as College.  They are one of those bands that everybody likes, cause they think it is cool.  Flannel shirts and cut up jeans.  If you have a point worth making you make that point and move on with your life.  You don't keep making records and complaining.  Nobody can have that much wrong with them to where they have to write so many bland songs, and nobody cares that you have a medium to make your case about social injustice.  This is proof alone that they will keep pumping out these little ballads until the money runs dry...  Popular music is just that popular music.  Eddie is the 90's generation of Lady Gaga or Just Bieber.

that is exactly correct. 90's is as 90's does. vedder will do nothing more than to continue to ***** about everything that isn't liberal or the cubs.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 11:52 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: Easy, example Tool = Popular Overdone, Repeat cause it sells.
Puscifer = Crap I have exploited Tool to the point, I have to have better creative outlet that has meaning.  

POP music is a genre of music, however it becomes popular because the kiddies like it. The best example is Dick Clark and the American Bandstand, bands were becoming popular  and then on this show became more popular and they were stuck in this bubble of what people perceived them on radio or television.  This is what they became.  John Lennon even stated he had to grow up cause he was no longer the 20 something who sang about She Loves You.  As far as Eddie and Justin, they come from the same mechanism that turned the wheel in the 90's for Eddie and Pearl Jam was the same mechanism that turns the wheel for Justin. Record Companies making money cause they knew it would sell.  The kids will eat it right up.   Just a different format for a new generation of kids.  Therefore it is a matter of taste and what era you grew up.  PS NIRVANA BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  F U NIRBANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just being born around the time Pearl Jam and Nirvana were popular so it never was cool or popular for me to like music that was a decade behind.
So therefore it's not a matter of taste and what era you grew up in because that format wasn't designed for my generation. It's a matter of "Hey this song stimulates my brain!"

If you've ever listened to a few of Pearl Jams records you can hear that based off of the lyrics it was never as shallow as the early Beatles or Justin Bieber. Even the songs everybody knows like Alive is about Vedder being tricked into thinking his Step Dad was his real Dad but by the time he figured out his Dad had already passed away. That was based off of a real life experience. Just because it's popular doesn't mean it doesn't have depth and just because you found an obscure album by an obscure band doesn't mean it does have depth. That's kiddie high school crap.

Maybe you would enjoy music more if you quit caring about all of the things other then the music itself?
Reply/Quote