Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pelosi, Schumer To Trump: "Let's Debate Border Funds in Private"
(01-25-2019, 08:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote:
(01-28-2019, 01:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks can debate all day was Trump "right" in standing his ground as long as he did, but nobody can deny the language being used such as "caved" is meant to be destructive rather than constructive. Furthermore, Schurmur's comments about hoping Trump "learned his lesson" will do absolutely nothing to work toward a bi-partisan deal

(01-28-2019, 01:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I hope they all learned a lesson. The Left had 0 problem weaponizing people's livelihood when the sticking point was DACA.

None of that changes the fact that the language being used is of a mocking nature.

(01-28-2019, 02:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Fred, I have no idea why you continue to engage in debate with me; you always wind up looking foolish. I hope you've learned your lesson.

(01-28-2019, 05:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course you look to belittle when you state "I hope you've learned your lesson". And even if you don't consider it as such; it's damn sure not defending Trump.  But that's for another thread.

Perhaps I shouldn't retaliate when you question my integrity. You know what they say about arguing with fools.

(01-29-2019, 06:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I hope we all learned a lesson...

(01-29-2019, 09:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I guess I go back more to the question in the OP and my original reply:

Was Shurmer saying "I hope Trump learned his lesson" honorable?

I get it's politics and the common theme is to pick a side. This is why I hope Shultz runs as an Independent and gets some steam. We as a popultion are not so much divided by an ideology as we are party. 
Dead Horse  

I left out all the quotes explaining how this was not a slight a slur or "stooping to Trump's level" because it seems you do not care.
Schumer's statement is honorable, correct and right...you go ahead and define it anyway you like.
Violin
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-30-2019, 12:48 AM)GMDino Wrote: Dead Horse  

I left out all the quotes explaining how this was not a slight a slur or "stooping to Trump's level" because it seems you do not care.
Schumer's statement is honorable, correct and right...you go ahead and define it anyway you like.
Violin

Did you actually take posts from a different thread and quote them here just so you could post little pictures?

But I see you finally answered the question asked. You consider Shurmur stating "I hope Trump learned his lesson" to be honorable. I just found it to be more divisive rhetoric; but to each his own. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-30-2019, 12:55 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Did you actually take posts from a different thread and quote them here just so you could post little pictures?

But I see you finally answered the question asked. You consider Shurmur stating "I hope Trump learned his lesson" to be honorable. I just found it to be more divisive rhetoric; but to each his own. 

I actually showed how it bothered you enough to cross post about it while saying it didn't bother you and demanding answers and ignoring how it wasn't as bad as you kept "asking if"/saying it was when it was explained for a view other than your own.   Smirk

If Trump said something like "Crying Chuck" while "negotiating" via Twitter I'm sure you'd find that as "divisive rhetoric" and post about it over half a dozen times on the board.

I'm sure.   Mellow

Of course you saw it as "divisive rhetoric"...you like Trump.  

But to each his own.
(01-30-2019, 12:55 AM)bfine32 Wrote: But I see you finally answered the question asked. You consider Shurmur stating "I hope Trump learned his lesson" to be honorable. I just found it to be more divisive rhetoric; but to each his own. 

How would you have phrased it?
Schumer keeps hoping they learned...but they don't seem to.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/transcript-bob-schieffers-interview-with-sen-chuck-schumer/

Quote:BOB SCHIEFFER: And joining us now for some reaction to the Republican side of things, or at least the Tea Party side of things, New York Democrat, Chuck Schumer.  I'll just give you the chance to respond.  What did you think of what Senator Cruz had to say?

SEN. CHARLES SCHUMER: Well, a lot of it's sort of Alice in Wonderland.  He says the President's policies haven't worked, but he hasn't let them go into effect.  He's blocked just about every one.  And I would say this, I have good news on the debt ceiling.  I do not believe that Republican leaders will follow Ted Cruz over the cliff once again.

I believe we will pass a clean debt ceiling that makes sense.  We don't want to risk the full faith and credit.  We can debate all these other issues at a different time and place.  But I think they learned their lesson with the government shutdown.  Not only did Tea Party ratings plummet, but so did Republican party ratings.  And I think there's a new way of thinking in the Senate and the House among Republicans, so that we can get more done in 2014 than we did in 2013.

They are not just going to mindlessly follow Ted Cruz and the Republicans over the cliff into this hard line position, "Unless we get our way, we're going to hurt innocent people," whether it be by shutting down the government, or by not renewing the full faith and credit of the United States.

The outrage! Sarcasm

And his full comments...in context...this year.

https://lybio.net/nancy-pelosi-and-chuck-schumer-respond-to-deal-to-end-of-shutdown/people/

Quote:We expect the continuing resolution to clear the House and clear the House this afternoon and be signed by the president today.

Hopefully, it means a lesson has been learned–shutting down the government over a policy difference is self-defeating,” said Schumer.

The American people do not like it when you throw a wrench into the lives of government workers over an unrelated political dispute.

Working people throughout American empathized with the Federal workers and were aghast what the President was doing to them.

Hopefully now the president has learned his lesson.

Now, once the president signs the continuing resolution, we in Congress will roll up our sleeves and try to find some agreement on border security.

[Charles Ellis Schumer:] Source: LYBIO.net

We don’t agree on some of the specifics of border security – Democrats are firmly against The Wall.

But we agree on many things, such as the need for drug inspection technology, humanitarian aid, strengthening security at our ports of entry, and that bodes well for finding an eventual agreement, the fact that we have so many areas where we can agree.

But today, the President will sign the bill to reopen the government along the outlines of what we have proposed. And hopefully, it means a lesson learned for the White House and for many of our Republican colleagues.

Shutting down the government over a policy difference is self-defeating. It accomplishes nothing but pain and suffering for the country – and incurs an enormous political cost to the party shutting it down.

We cannot – cannot – ever hold American workers hostage again. Speaker Pelosi.

Damn him!  Explain what the lesson is in his eyes and hoping the people who finally agreed to the CR learned from the experience!!   Sarcasm

What is this world coming to when someone is hoping that someone else is now better informed to make better choices in the future!  Sarcasm
looks like there was some size measurements going on last night.

Trump and Beto had competing immigration rallies in El Paso.

Trump lied to the crowd, saying that the Fire Dept fit 10,000 people into the 6,500 capacity venue (the Fire Dept later said they did not). He said 35,000 total people attended (including outside). Estimates vary for outside, but the Fire Dept said there "might have been 10,000" but they don't keep track of that.

Trump said Beto only had 200-300 attendees. Estimates put his rally at 7000-8000 on the low end to 10,000-15,000 according to Bloomberg (who said that was the police dept's number).

There was also clashing between the two groups outside, which could help cause confusion with counting.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-12-2019, 01:38 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: looks like there was some size measurements going on last night.

Trump and Beto had competing immigration rallies in El Paso.

Trump lied to the crowd, saying that the Fire Dept fit 10,000 people into the 6,500 capacity venue (the Fire Dept later said they did not). He said 35,000 total people attended (including outside). Estimates vary for outside, but the Fire Dept said there "might have been 10,000" but they don't keep track of that.

Trump said Beto only had 200-300 attendees. Estimates put his rally at 7000-8000 on the low end to 10,000-15,000 according to Bloomberg (who said that was the police dept's number).

There was also clashing between the two groups outside, which could help cause confusion with counting.

Not just outside: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/02/12/man-maga-hat-attacks-journalist-el-paso-rally/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4c4f70d24edf
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Trump today:

"I accepted the first one, and I'm proud of what we've accomplished. Because people learned during that shutdown all about the problems coming from the southern border...But this one I would never accept."

I remember him saying he would accept blame and then spending 5 weeks calling it the "Schumer Shutdown".
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-12-2019, 05:24 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Trump today:

"I accepted the first one, and I'm proud of what we've accomplished. Because people learned during that shutdown all about the problems coming from the southern border...But this one I would never accept."

I remember him saying he would accept blame and then spending 5 weeks calling it the "Schumer Shutdown".

He is such a ***** tool. How many bipartisan pieces of legislation have to be negotiated before people realize that Congress is a co-equal branch of government and they can cram it down his throat? This party-over-people nonsense needs to stop.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-12-2019, 05:40 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: He is such a ***** tool. How many bipartisan pieces of legislation have to be negotiated before people realize that Congress is a co-equal branch of government and they can cram it down his throat? This party-over-people nonsense needs to stop.

But want it.  We totally want it.  Can't force it on people who totally want it.
He's a pathological liar.

How anyone supports him or believes anything he says is beyond me.

https://www.newsandguts.com/video/donald-trump-falsely-says-another-government-shutdown-would-be-the-democrats-fault/

Quote:During the last shutdown, polls showed Americans by a wide margin blamed the White House and Republicans in Congress.  This time,  Trump is trying to shift the blame.
Quote:“I don’t think you are going to see a shutdown…  If you did have it, it’s the Democrat’s fault. And I accepted the first one and I’m proud of what we accomplished because people learned during that shutdown all about the problems coming in from the Southern border. I accepted it, I’ve always accepted it. But this one I would never accept if it happens, but I don’t think it’s going to happen. But this one would be totally on the Democrats.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/trump-blames-democrats-for-shutdown-americans-blame-trump

Quote:Trump blames Democrats for shutdown, Americans blame Trump

President Trump on Monday blamed the partial government shutdown on Democrats, even as most Americans said it's Trump's fault that parts of the government have been shuttered for a record 24 days.

“Nancy and Cryin’ Chuck can end the Shutdown in 15 minutes. At this point it has become their, and the Democrats, fault!” Trump tweeted Monday morning. 

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/politics/100000006287286/trump-democrats-border-wall.html

Quote:Trump Blames Democrats ‘Looking to 2020’ for Shutdown

President Trump suggested that he was unwilling to compromise with Democrats over his demands for a border wall, which have held up negotiations to end a government shutdown

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/trump-blames-democrats-says-shutdown-is-likely-1404352067579

Quote:Trump blames Democrats, says shutdown is likely
[/url][url=https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Trump%3A%20Chances%20of%20shutdown%20are%20%27very%20good%27&via=nbcnews&url=https://www.nbcnews.com/video/trump-blames-democrats-says-shutdown-is-likely-1404352067579&original_referer=https://www.nbcnews.com/video/trump-blames-democrats-says-shutdown-is-likely-1404352067579]

Ahead of a looming government shutdown deadline, President Donald Trump blamed Democrats and said that the chances of a shutdown are "very good" if the Senate does not include funding for a border wall.Dec. 21, 2018

https://theweek.com/speedreads/814090/trump-blames-democrats-possible-shutdown-after-saying-hed
[/url]
Quote:Trump blames Democrats for possible shutdown after saying he'd own it

President Trump is attempting to shift blame for the possible government shutdown onto Democrats after explicitly saying he wouldn't.

Trump on Friday tweeted about the fact that the House of Representatives recently passed a spending bill that includes the $5 billion he has demanded forborder wall funding. But this has always been a non-starter in the Senate, where it can only pass with Democratic votes. Another bill that didn't include the $5 billion for the wall already passed the Senate, but
Trump refused to sign it.

Trump's refusal to sign that original stopgap bill is what triggered this shutdown standoff, but on Friday he suggested Democrats in the Senate will be the ones to blame for a shutdown if it happens.

Quote:[Image: kUuht00m_normal.jpg]
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Senator Mitch McConnell should fight for the Wall and Border Security as hard as he fought for anything. He will need Democrat votes, but as shown in the House, good things happen. If enough Dems don’t vote, it will be a Democrat Shutdown! House Republicans were great yesterday!

6:50 AM - Dec 21, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Quote:[Image: kUuht00m_normal.jpg]
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

The Democrats, whose votes we need in the Senate, will probably vote against Border Security and the Wall even though they know it is DESPERATELY NEEDED. If the Dems vote no, there will be a shutdown that will last for a very long time. People don’t want Open Borders and Crime!

[url=https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1076090986651099136]81.1K
7:24 AM - Dec 21, 2018

Just last week, Trump said during a meeting with House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) that if a shutdown were to happen, he wouldn't blame them. "I am proud to shut down the government for border security," Trump told Schumer. "... I will be the one to shut it down. I'm not going to blame you for it."
[Image: DzVHgXAUUAEX34b.jpg:large]
(02-14-2019, 10:34 AM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: DzVHgXAUUAEX34b.jpg:large]

It's like shark tank, when you keep negotiating sometimes the deals get worse.
leopard...changing spots...never...blah blah

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/trump-blocking-contractor-back-pay-gov-t-funding-deal-lawmaker-n971226

Quote:President Donald Trump is blocking a measure to give back pay to federal contractors affected by last month's government shutdown as part of a bipartisan agreement to avert another federal closure, a Republican lawmaker says.

“I’ve been told the president won’t sign that,” Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., told reporters Wednesday. He added, “I guess federal contractors are different in his view than federal employees."

Hundreds of thousands of federal workers were furloughed or required to work without pay during the spending impasse that led to the 35-day partial shutdown. In past shutdowns, Congress has agreed to provide back pay to government workers, but that generally has not extended to federal contractors.

Democratic leaders in the House and Senate are pushing the provision, which has the support of many Republicans. Lawmakers argue there should be some relief for contractors affected by the shutdown, which was the longest in U.S. history. A number of Republicans have pointed to precedent, however, saying they have never given back pay to contractors after previous shutdowns.

“I understand it’s somewhat complicated, but I think it’s on the negotiators' radar screen, and hopefully they’ll figure a way to work through it,” Senate Majority Whip John Thune, R-S.D., said. “I just don’t think it’s ever been done before, so figuring out duration of contracts — it sounds like it’s the timing issues and all that.”

Democratic Sen. Chris Van Hollen of Maryland and Republican Sen. John Cornyn of Texas illustrated the divide among lawmakers on the issue in a Twitter spat Wednesday.

"I certainly hope this isn’t true," Van Hollen tweeted. "It would be cruel and unnecessary to block back pay for federal contract workers who lost more than a month of wages and are still behind on bills due to President Trump’s shutdown. Many of them work low-wage jobs and live paycheck-to-paycheck."
Quote:[Image: 0XSZE4Et_normal.jpg]
[/url]Chris Van Hollen

@ChrisVanHollen

I certainly hope this isn’t true. It would be cruel and unnecessary to block back pay for federal contract workers who lost more than a month of wages and are still behind on bills due to President Trump’s shutdown. Many of them work low-wage jobs and live paycheck-to-paycheck.
Seung Min Kim

@seungminkim

On including back pay for federal contractors in the spending deal, Blunt tells reporters: “I’ve been told the president won’t sign that.”

[url=https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1095770951126519809]308
2:45 PM - Feb 13, 2019

Cornyn shot back: "Ms. Pelosi and Sen. Schumer should have thought about this and other collateral damage when they initially refused to negotiate on border security, something they are apparently now willing to do."

Trump is likely to sign the bipartisan deal to keep the government open and avoid another partial shutdown at the end of the week “barring any drafting surprises or last-minute additions by Democrats,” officials familiar with the president’s thinking told NBC News on Wednesday. The deal, the details of which first emerged on Monday, does not include the president's sought-after $5.7 billion in border wall funding, which triggered the last shutdown.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, told reporters that she would like to see the measure included to provide relief to contractors, and didn't know why the president wouldn't want to include it.

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., told reporters on Wednesday that “35 days without pay is a really long time to go without pay for people living paycheck to paycheck.”

“We are working on that," he said. "Whether or not we accomplish that — I hope we will, but that has not been done at this point."

So of course the right wing wants to blame the Democrats for the shutdown DJT claimed he never said he didn't own (lie) at the same time.

Smirk
(02-14-2019, 11:17 AM)Au165 Wrote: It's like shark tank, when you keep negotiating sometimes the deals get worse.

And then you say you already are producing the thing anyway and won long before all the negotiations started.
DJT has announced through his minion McConnell that he will sign the new bill to keep the government open AND declared a National Emergency at the border.

What...a....dope.

Of course McConnell slurped up that sweet Trump juice and said he will back the POTUS on it...after announcing to his colleagues that they should pass the bill because DJT said he would sign it.

You supporters should be so proud that your boy took two months to declare an emergency...must be one helluva one to wait that long.  Or there isn't one.  
This sets a dangerous precedent that the GOP better understand will come back to bite them in the future. The next Democratic President could then declare a national emergency for homeless or for global warming all because you let this fool stomp his feet because he didn’t get his way.

It will face legal challenges that will no doubt end up at the Supreme Court.
(02-14-2019, 06:17 PM)Au165 Wrote: This sets a dangerous precedent that the GOP better understand will come back to bite them in the future. The next Democratic President could then declare a national emergency for homeless or for global warming all because you let this fool stomp his feet because he didn’t get his way.

I told face legal challenges that will no doubt end up at the Supreme Court.

I don't think Trump will set any precedent in a POTUS possibly over-stepping his bounds. But of course I just could be a blind Trump Supporter. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(02-14-2019, 06:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't think Trump will set any precedent in a POTUS possibly over-stepping his bounds. But of course I just could be a blind Trump Supporter. 

Could be.

This use of the declaration has generally (always?) been used at time when there was agreement that there truly was an emergency....not just to fulfill a campaign promise.
(02-14-2019, 06:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't think Trump will set any precedent in a POTUS possibly over-stepping his bounds. But of course I just could be a blind Trump Supporter. 

Legislators controls the purse he is going in the face of their wishes over stepping his constitutional bounds. That will be the question eventually for the Supreme Court to answer I guess.