Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penei Sewell in week 1 of preseason
Maybe this isn't for "Jungle Noise", although since the Sewell vs. Chase debate has been a large % of the posts around here all summer, I am giving it a shot here:

I watched Detroit play last night in their first action of the preseason. Sewell's debut was less than stellar:

His first snap, he was in space and whiffed on a block.

His second snap, he got owned by Rousseau, a fellow rookie, and gave up a sack.

After that, he seemed to settle in, but I thought it was funny to think of what this board would have looked like if that was his first few snaps here in stripes. I am not saying the guy is a bust, but he has a long way to go. BTW, he was lined up with their starters at RT.

Also somewhat humorous was that none other than Fat Randy was in a battle for their kicking position (with Zane Gonzalez, also kind of funny). He did go 3 for 3, and looked to be in mid-season form (fat).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2021, 07:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Maybe this isn't for "Jungle Noise", although since the Sewell vs. Chase debate has been a large % of the posts around here all summer, I am giving it a shot here:

I watched Detroit play last night in their first action of the preseason. Sewell's debut was less than stellar:

His first snap, he was in space and whiffed on a block.

His second snap, he got owned by Rousseau, a fellow rookie, and gave up a sack.

After that, he seemed to settle in, but I thought it was funny to think of what this board would have looked like if that was his first few snaps here in stripes. I am not saying the guy is a bust, but he has a long way to go. BTW, he was lined up with their starters at RT.

Also somewhat humorous was that none other than Fat Randy was in a battle for their kicking position (with Zane Gonzalez, also kind of funny). He did go 3 for 3, and looked to be in mid-season form (fat).

Rousseau definitely got the best of him on that sack. The RG also got blown up which left Goff dead in the water, but that was a clear loss for Sewell. Really, other than that, I thought played fantastic. There was one play that was great where the Bills ran a stunt, Rousseau to the inside and the DT bounced out wide and Sewell picked it up perfectly. Another where Sewell stonewalled Rousseau on a pass rush and then manhandled Rousseau on a run play.

Those first few plays would’ve had some groans but the rest of game should have people very excited. It was a good debut for a guy that hasn’t played football in two years and is learning a new position.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2021, 10:14 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Rousseau definitely got the best of him on that sack. The RG also got blown up which left Goff dead in the water, but that was a clear loss for Sewell. Really, other than that, I thought played fantastic. There was one play  that was great where the Bills ran a stunt, Rousseau to the inside and the DT bounced out wide and Sewell picked it up perfectly. Another where Sewell stonewalled Rousseau on a pass rush and then manhandled Rousseau on a run play.

Those first few plays would’ve had some groans but the rest of game should have people very excited. It was a good debut for a guy that hasn’t played football in two years and is learning a new position.

Goff was constantly harassed, and they had no running game to speak of.  I think you may be being a bit generous in your appraisal, but that's fine.  
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2021, 11:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Goff was constantly harassed, and they had no running game to speak of.  I think you may be being a bit generous in your appraisal, but that's fine.  

I’m not speaking on the line as a whole, I’m speaking on Penei specifically. The line as a whole may not have had a good performance, but I was very happy with how Penei looked. What am I missing that is bringing your judgement down?

I just went and peaked at the PFF recap article for the game and they logged Sewell with allowing one pressure and gave him a ‘60+’ grade. No idea what means, specifically. I’m sure those guys are more knowledgeable than I, but I saw nothing to be upset about after that play by Rousseau and I loved his play afterwards. He looked good.
Reply/Quote
I think everyone should expect a player's first few snaps in the NFL to be less than ideal no matter what. Add in a year off and playing a different position and they should absolutely be expected to be below average. But as the game moves on and the timing to game speed from practice speed dials in, that is when evaluations should truly begin.
Reply/Quote
He'll be ok. Out of the game for two years, learning new position and at learning on the fly the NFL level. Kinda feel glad Carman is down the depth chart. Give him time to get used to his new position, whereas Sewell has no choice but to learn on the job.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2021, 11:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Goff was constantly harassed, and they had no running game to speak of.  I think you may be being a bit generous in your appraisal, but that's fine.  

Killer Goose has green colored Oregon Duck glasses, that is all.

Sewell didn't play well and if Carman plays that bad tonight look out!
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2021, 04:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Killer Goose has green colored Oregon Duck glasses, that is all.

Sewell didn't play well and if Carman plays that bad tonight look out!

How did he not play well? He allowed one pressure and it was early on. He recovered very well afterwards. I asked SHR and he didn’t respond, so I’ll ask you. He only played 13 snaps at that.

I’m more than happy to be shown examples of what he did poorly.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2021, 04:32 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: How did he not play well? He allowed one pressure and it was early on. He recovered very well afterwards. I asked SHR and he didn’t respond, so I’ll ask you. He only played 13 snaps at that.

I’m more than happy to be shown examples of what he did poorly.

And you conveniently leave out that he gave up a sack...Yawn
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2021, 05:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: And you conveniently leave out that he gave up a sack...Yawn

? That’s the pressure that he gave up….and I also already addressed it above, calling it a clear win for Rousseau.

I’m genuinely trying to have a conversation about this and you’re trying your best to come off as condescending when you apparently struggle to read through a thread that has nine responses. I’m asking why you thought he didn’t play well. If you can’t provide a response, then it’s obvious you don’t know what you’re talking about. Lol.
Reply/Quote
Let's keep this discussion civil, folks.

We can all express and then discuss our opinions without offering up insults.

Carry on...
Reply/Quote
Just watched the replay. He didn't play bad by any stretch.

He whiffed on a run block then got knocked off balance on the sack but his guy wasn't the only one there. Beyond that, he did his job and moved some guys in the run game. Pretty much looked average at worst, to the eye test, for his first ever real NFL game. 

Could just be my imagination but he did look a little tentative--whether that's just being in the NFL after not playing for so long, or being at a different position, but based on how he played, when he gets comfortable, he's going to be good. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2021, 05:34 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: ? That’s the pressure that he gave up….and I also already addressed it above, calling it a clear win for Rousseau.

I’m genuinely trying to have a conversation about this and you’re trying your best to come off as condescending when you apparently struggle to read through a thread that has nine responses. I’m asking why you thought he didn’t play well. If you can’t provide a response, then it’s obvious you don’t know what you’re talking about. Lol.

Okay, just saying if Carman did this it would be crucifixion time around here.

He didn't play bad looking back at his snaps, sorry if I sounded condescending. Don't mean to be KG. ThumbsUp

(08-14-2021, 05:49 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Let's keep this discussion civil, folks.

We can all express and then discuss our opinions without offering up insults.

Carry on...

Its all good JFK.

(08-14-2021, 07:38 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Just watched the replay. He didn't play bad by any stretch.

He whiffed on a run block then got knocked off balance on the sack but his guy wasn't the only one there. Beyond that, he did his job and moved some guys in the run game. Pretty much looked average at worst, to the eye test, for his first ever real NFL game. 

Could just be my imagination but he did look a little tentative--whether that's just being in the NFL after not playing for so long, or being at a different position, but based on how he played, when he gets comfortable, he's going to be good. 

Yeah I didn't watch the game. I think Sewell could be great down the line I just think it will take time playing against NFL level
talent and not playing for practically 2 years.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2021, 05:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: And you conveniently leave out that he gave up a sack...Yawn

Not on a blitz, not on a stunt, just a straight up edge rush to a rookie, where he got one-arm shoved.  And the first play he whiffed in space.  Goose must have the bar set low.

I'm no trashing the guy, and think he should be a solid pro, but it is funny how I hear all the "he took last year off" and other excuses for him, but Carman is supposed to be HOF coming off back surgery in his first week of camp. 
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 07:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not on a blitz, not on a stunt, just a straight up edge rush to a rookie, where he got one-arm shoved.  And the first play he whiffed in space.  Goose must have the bar set low.

I'm no trashing the guy, and think he should be a solid pro, but it is funny how I hear all the "he took last year off" and other excuses for him, but Carman is supposed to be HOF coming off back surgery in his first week of camp. 

I know, that is what gets on my nerves and I am sorry about being a bit of a jerk about it.

Carman is on my team, he is the guy I just have to back up. He played well last night and Goose has said it which is nice.

So far, I like what I have seen of Carman and not surprised of Sewell's struggles in pass protection, before the Draft I wanted 
Pitts, then Sewell, then Chase but was happy with either pick. I just knew Sewell had technique issues in pass protection, he 
could end up being a penalty machine as he lets his hands get outside the body a lot. Carman doesn't have this issue.
Reply/Quote
I saw a some snaps after 1st series, his running blocking looked strong, did fine in pass blocking the snaps I caught. I read article that he was 2nd in PFF in run blocking on team and after sack was clean on 12 pass blocking plays.. so overall seems like a good start.. the key is he started good sign
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2021, 11:26 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’m not speaking on the line as a whole, I’m speaking on Penei specifically. The line as a whole may not have had a good performance, but I was very happy with how Penei looked. What am I missing that is bringing your judgement down?

I just went and peaked at the PFF recap article for the game and they logged Sewell with allowing one pressure and gave him a ‘60+’ grade. No idea what means, specifically. I’m sure those guys are more knowledgeable than I, but I saw nothing to be upset about after that play by Rousseau and I loved his play afterwards. He looked good.
60+ is solid
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote