Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People covering the team have no clue who's in charge
(10-25-2019, 02:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You may not understand, but what I was doing was actually commenting on the subject in the OP instead of just posting "Bengals suck" as a reply to everything in every thread.

Bengals suck. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I’m not sure the person in charge even knows who’s in charge. No surprise outsiders don’t know either.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
BTW - I really enjoyed that podcast. I REALLY like Richard Skinner. Guy doesnt mess around.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 02:05 PM)grampahol Wrote: You mean you don't trust Duke and his plans for "home grown tomatoes...errr talent"?
Whenever I hear that phrase I want to find the little garden behind the stadium where such talent is grown.. 

IDK whats going to happen this offseason with regards to free agency. Probably a nightmare but could be a dream. They have to know that there strategy isn't working though so that gives me some hope that it will change.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 02:34 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Ced and Fisher weren't "weird" draft picks though. Those guys were pretty highly touted prospects coming out of college. The Ross pick was a reach from the beginning. You know what I mean? 

Except Ced had a major knee issue at the time...and if you read his scouting report he gave up A LOT of sacks in college.

He was more a freak athlete pick.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 03:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Except Ced had a major knee issue at the time...and if you read his scouting report he gave up A LOT of sacks in college.

He was more a freak athlete pick.

He had been demoted from starting LT to RT.  That for me is a scouting red flag.
Reply/Quote
if any of us were owners no doubt we would put our thoughts into the draft, current roster of players and free agency. However at some point someone has to make the final decision and thats what an owner is paying the GM or whoever to do.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 02:31 PM)grampahol Wrote: They undoubtedly use Miracle Grow to fertilize the talent since it actually requires a miracle with this team..

More like Ortho and the talent is dying.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 11:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Even with teams that have GMs there are always rumors of owners having some control over draft and free agency.

No different here.

(10-25-2019, 11:44 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I would say that there is no team run like Mike Brown runs the Bengals.

(10-25-2019, 01:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Confused

What does this have to do with my post that you quoted? 

All I am saying is that with every team there are rumors about how much influence the owner has over player decisions.

I would say it is quite a bit different here.

Rumors or no rumors, Mike Brown has the biggest brown thumb there is when it comes to building a talented football team.

Reply/Quote
[Image: 53697461.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 02:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: ...Bengals suck...*

*Dramatization, may not have happened
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 04:08 PM)corpjet Wrote: if any of us were owners no doubt we would put our thoughts into the draft, current roster of players and free agency.  However at some point someone has to make the final decision and thats what an owner is paying the GM or whoever to do.

Personally, I like a set up where the head coach is in-charge of the roster and the draft and what free agents he wants. He's gotta coach and win with those players, so it's in his best interest to select the player who will help him win. These might not be the owner's favorite players, but tough titties.

The set up I like the least is where an owner, especially one who inherited the team and has suspect skill in choosing talent and the right player, chooses his favorites or just picks someone on a whim, then expects someone else make ice cream with his lemons.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 05:31 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I would say it is quite a bit different here.

You can say whatever you want but that won't change the fact that there is a constant debate around here concerning how much influence Mike Brown has on player selection.

Just like with almost every other team in the league.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown is in charge. End of story. He runs the Cincinnati Bengals like Kim Jong Un runs North Korea; he’s doing great and everyone else can go pound sand.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 10:56 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Mike Brown is in charge.  End of story.  He runs the Cincinnati Bengals like Kim Jong Un runs North Korea; he’s doing great and everyone else can go pound sand.

But what about all the stories about how he wanted to draft Ryan Mallet or Colin Kaepernick?
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 11:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: But what about all the stories about how he wanted to draft Ryan Mallet or Colin Kaepernick?

Those are interesting stories indeed but let’s look at one salient fact: There is only ONE starting quarterback left from the 2011 draft class and that’s Andy Dalton. He’s durable if nothing else.

Mike Brown played quarterback at Dartmouth and it’s truly the only position he understands. Many times he had said all a team needs is “a bell cow” quarterback and everything else falls into place. That’s wrong on so many levels it’s not even funny. Look at Mikey Boy’s pasture of “bell cows” and outside of Carson Palmer and yes, Andy Dalton, and you see a field of big armed losers. Even AJ McCarron deserves some props here.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 11:32 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Those are interesting stories indeed but let’s look at one salient fact:  There is only ONE starting quarterback left from the 2011 draft class and that’s Andy Dalton.  He’s durable if nothing else.

Mike Brown played quarterback at Dartmouth and it’s truly the only position he understands.  Many times he had said all a team needs is “a bell cow” quarterback and everything else falls into place.  That’s wrong on so many levels it’s not even funny.  Look at Mikey Boy’s pasture of “bell cows” and outside of Carson Palmer and yes, Andy Dalton, and you see a field of big armed losers.  Even AJ McCarron deserves some props here.

Uh, Okay.  Andy is durable and we haven't had much luck drafting QBs.

But I thought we were talking about who is in charge of making personnel decisions.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals don't have any clue who's in charge either.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 11:36 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Uh, Okay.  Andy is durable and we haven't had much luck drafting QBs.

But I thought we were talking about who is in charge of making personnel decisions.

I did derail that a bit, didn’t I? Sorry, Fred. I can only think of one personnel decision I know for certain was made by Marvin Lewis and that was drafting Rey Maualuga in 2009.
Reply/Quote
Thats why I am so interested to know who was the one banging the table for Finley. Didnt we trade up for him?
Reply/Quote