Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People in church know bible verse...
...Trump stunned.

Quote:Donald Trump Shocked Black Church Knew Famous Bible Verse

http://crooksandliars.com/2016/09/there-something-wrong-pictue

Donald Trump made a speech to the black church group led by Bishop Wayne Jackson today and he made a surprising discovery.

When he was wrapping up his speech, he said he was going to end by reading a Bible verse, 1 John, Chapter 4, and was completely taken aback that the congregation actually knew it.

Trump said, "It is my prayer that America of tomorrow and I mean that, that the America of tomorrow will be one of unity, togetherness and peace. And perhaps we can add the word prosperity, OK, prosperity. I'd like to conclude with a passage from 1 John chapter 4."

As the audience signaled their approval, Donald was stunned for a minute and then said, "You know it! (He's so impressed) See, most groups I speak to don't know that, but we know it. If you want, we can say it together."

How condescending of him.

Most groups he speaks to have white nationalist and nativist sympathies that are screaming at his rallies. And he never quotes bible verses when he's on the stump either, so what was he doing, you ask?

It was as if he was petting a puppy on the head, saying, "Good doggie."

He wrapped up by saying," "No one has ever seen god, but if we love one another, god lives in us and his love is made complete in us. That's so true. Thank you very much. This has been such an honor. Thank you very much. Bishop, thank you, sir."

Donald Trump makes another calculated attempt to make believe he's reaching out to the black community by posing for a staged photo op in a black church, but it comes off as weird and unsettling.

Kind of like a Liverpool fan trying to root for Manchester United.

Way to go.

UPDATE: Well, what do you know?

Hardly anybody showed up today at church services....

View image on Twitter
[Image: CrcFC9mXEAAxVnX.jpg:small]

Quote:[/url]

[url=https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher]@ShaneGoldmacher

Nowhere near a full crowd as Trump enters (far left)
11:18 AM - 3 Sep 2016

I prefer the the first verse:

Quote:Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
How is it condescending that he told them they are the first group of Christians he spoke to that actually know the Bible? Now if he said everyone knows the Bible, but I'm still surprised you know it, that would be condescending.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(09-04-2016, 03:20 PM)6andcounting Wrote: How is it condescending that he told them they are the first group of Christians he spoke to that actually know the Bible? Now if he said everyone knows the Bible, but I'm  still surprised you know it, that would be condescending.

Yeah I'm not sure what the issue here is except someone had a column to write before the 3 day weekend, and went the "Trump bad"route because nobody questions those.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-04-2016, 03:20 PM)6andcounting Wrote: How is it condescending that he told them they are the first group of Christians he spoke to that actually know the Bible? Now if he said everyone knows the Bible, but I'm  still surprised you know it, that would be condescending.

(09-05-2016, 10:03 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah I'm not sure what the issue here is except someone had a column to write before the 3 day weekend, and went the "Trump bad"route because nobody questions those.

Mellow

Quote:As the audience signaled their approval, Donald was stunned for a minute and then said, "You know it! (He's so impressed) See, most groups I speak to don't know that, but we know it. 

Everyone else should have been more surprised that HE knew it.
Complete set-up to pander and "connect" with two demographics.

Which was kind of unnecessary, as the blacks love him.
Ninja

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(09-05-2016, 11:44 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Complete set-up to pander and "connect" with two demographics.

Ninja

His African American said so!  Ninja
(09-05-2016, 11:44 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Complete set-up to pander and "connect" with two demographics.

Ninja

Pandering? Yes.

His surprise being completely setup? Probably not. I thought this thread was going to be able how most Christian Americans who attend Church regularly don't know much at all from the Bible. Of course, if I saw it was a GMDino thread I would have known right away it's another trump thread.
I love how the author is a mind reader and yet works at some web site that no one has heard of.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk
(09-05-2016, 02:41 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I love how the author is a mind reader and yet works at some web site that no one has heard of.

Went to the home page of that website. All their featured new stories are just video clips from CNN and MSNBC.
(09-05-2016, 01:40 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Pandering? Yes.

His surprise being completely setup? Probably not. I thought this thread was going to be able how most Christian Americans who attend Church regularly don't know much at all from the Bible. Of course, if I saw it was a GMDino thread I would have known right away it's another trump thread.

And you are welcome.   ThumbsUp

(09-05-2016, 02:41 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I love how the author is a mind reader and yet works at some web site that no one has heard of.

But was he wrong?   Mellow
(09-05-2016, 02:55 PM)GMDino Wrote: But was he wrong?   Mellow

Well, considering the only way for him to be right would be for him to be a mind reader, I think it's safe to say Yes.

(09-05-2016, 03:13 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Well, considering the only way for him to be right would be for him to be a mind reader, I think it's safe to say Yes.

So it would take a mind reader to ascertain from Trump's reaction that he was surprised that people would know a bible verse?

When he has shown he doesn't know them himself.

I see.

It's only condescending because the person writing the article wants it to be.  The author goes on to criticize Trump for not spouting scriptures in all of his speeches, how condescending of the author.  Perhaps Trump is a man of faith, but likes to keep it between himself and God, as instructed by Mathew 6:5-6?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(09-05-2016, 03:18 PM)GMDino Wrote: So it would take a mind reader to ascertain from Trump's reaction that he was surprised that people would know a bible verse?

Yes because you don't know if he was surprised or there was another reason for his actions. And if he WAS surprised you don't now that the reason was because they knew a bible verse.

You have a lot of FACTUAL stories with which to criticize Trump so I'm not sure why you are resorting to lies, half-truths and conjecture.

(09-05-2016, 04:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's only condescending because the person writing the article wants it to be.  The author goes on to criticize Trump for not spouting scriptures in all of his speeches, how condescending of the author.  Perhaps Trump is a man of faith, but likes to keep it between himself and God, as instructed by Mathew 6:5-6?

The author want more God and Bible quotes from his presidential candidates, so I'm assuming he loves Santorum.
(09-05-2016, 04:40 PM)6andcounting Wrote: The author want more God and Bible quotes from his presidential candidates, so I'm assuming he loves Santorum.

Or even Huckabee

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(09-05-2016, 04:14 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yes because you don't know if he was surprised or there was another reason for his actions. And if he WAS surprised you don't now that the reason was because they knew a bible verse.

You have a lot of FACTUAL stories with which to criticize Trump so I'm not sure why you are resorting to lies, half-truths and conjecture.

Yep, no way of knowing if he was surprised they knew the verse.

Quote:Trump said, "It is my prayer that America of tomorrow and I mean that, that the America of tomorrow will be one of unity, togetherness and peace. And perhaps we can add the word prosperity, OK, prosperity. I'd like to conclude with a passage from 1 John chapter 4."

As the audience signaled their approval, Donald was stunned for a minute and then said, "You know it! (He's so impressed) See, most groups I speak to don't know that, but we know it.

No way at all.

[Image: 14034813_320789821601803_473318227863280...e=587AC040]

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(09-05-2016, 03:18 PM)GMDino Wrote: So it would take a mind reader to ascertain from Trump's reaction that he was surprised that people would know a bible verse?

When he has shown he doesn't know them himself.

I see.

The author just made stuff up.  Why is it condescending to be surprised a whole group of people know a specific Bible verse?  Most people know very few Bible verses.  This article was pure laziness.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-05-2016, 09:30 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yep, no way of knowing if he was surprised they knew the verse.

No way at all.

Here's a video of the speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79OAyAc3G-M

The moment in question is at the 15 minute mark. I don't see surprise anywhere. I only see him stopped because the crowd acknowledged the verse which caused him to pause. As to his comments, many church goers know verses but don't know the reference. You can throw out a reference and many church attendees aren't going to know it until you start saying it (for example, people know the verse "Jesus wept" but most don't know it's John 11:35. So, if I said, "As it says in John 11:35..." I might be surpirsed if people knew to what I was referring). Thus, it's possible that the Don recognizes that this church knows the reference.

So, I grant you that it's possible he was surprised they knew the reference, but without reading his mind, we don't know for sure. His comments don't prove anything. It honestly sounded to me like he was pandering and pointing out how other groups aren't as "Christian" as this black church and not that he was surprised a church knew a Bible verse.