Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People keep bashing the offense
(11-22-2017, 01:17 PM)Millhouse Wrote: If the defense was on the same level of suckyness as the offense, they would be 0-10 right now.

LMAO.....true dat!

(11-22-2017, 01:20 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: And what does the coaching staff do in response?  Wait!  Too much paperwork to change the approach in the middle of the season!!!  Damnit!  We have to keep rolling MJ out there at RDE and put guys like Willis on the bench.  Willis defiantly blocked a punt, and we will NOT LET HIM MAKE PLAYS AND RUN UP HIS NEXT CONTRACT.  If he keeps it up, we will create an injury to keep his play-making ass off the field.

Don't let Ross get more than one target in his rookie season, or he just might break one and take it to the house!  We have seen what an amazing difference Tyreek Hill made in KC...we simply can't allow that to happen here, especially since our HC wanted the LB from Bama.

The defense CAN stop the run.  The offense CAN run block.  The problem is they don't have the WANT TO in any way, shape or form.  They have zero energy and a horrible scheme that demotivates even the most passionate players.  Back off, don't give up a big play on defense.  Slide blocking schemes that don't have a prayer of creating a crease.

Man up and CONTEST every pass.  Stack the line and play man coverage.  You have four GD first round picks at CB!  Your safeties suck ass in pass defense anyways.  Get them up to the line and start hitting some people.  

On offense, line up and HIT PEOPLE.  They showed they can do that in the shadow of their own end zone against a 10 man front!  Never saw it again, even in short yardage.  

For the love of God, can anyone on this coaching staff grow some F'n balls and play this game like men?

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5089552]

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 03:48 AM)Utts Wrote: The Offense 29th out of 32 in points per game.

The Offense is 31st out of 32 in time of possesion.

The Defense is 10th out of 32 in points allowed.

Offense bashers, continue bashing.

TOP is not solely an offensive statistic.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 07:27 AM)Beaker Wrote: People keep bashing the offense for the Bengals problems. And due to problems on the O lone, the offense has definitely not performed up to expectations coming into this season. But to me, the Bengals D is just as culpable for the Bengals current record. We keep hearing about how the Bengals have a top ten D, and that may be the case according to stats.

But our "terrible" offense scored enough points in GB and TEN to win those games. It was our "good" defense that did not finish those games. They gave up 2 last minute game winning drives in those games. If our D had come through in those 2 games the Bengals would be sitting at 6-4 and in the #5 spot for the playoffs right now.

Both sides are to blame, we cannot run the ball so our Defense is on the field all the time but it would help if they
weren't playing so passive. The Defense gives up WAY too many 3rd and longs, if they would stop more 3rd downs
they wouldn't be on the field near as much.

Dalton actually has been our MVP this year so far IMHO with how bad the O-line has played.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 03:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Both sides are to blame, we cannot run the ball so our Defense is on the field all the time but it would help if they
weren't playing so passive. The Defense gives up WAY too many 3rd and longs, if they would stop more 3rd downs
they wouldn't be on the field near as much.

Dalton actually has been our MVP this year so far IMHO with how bad the O-line has played.

It's actually like...we just aren't a good team isn't it?

The Defense has just as many guys rated Poor at their position by PFF.
Reply/Quote
The whole thing that's disappointing about this situation is that they knew it would be a problem. Only wishing things would work out was foolish. Either retaining one of the free agents or signing someone competent to replace at least one, would have been the right thing to do. Now you look at how poor the teams have been playing in our division(besides Pittsburgh)and around the league. It's even more frustrating because I think this team could have been a legitimate competitor. Instead, they have a cinder block of an O- line dragging them down and drowning the rest of the team.

Really when the OP is talking about bashing the Offense...  it's Dalton.

Yeah Mixon might get a mention or even other WRS can't get separation.

Let's get real folks.

Some fans just can't get over the blame Dalton game enough to admit the O-Line is horrid.

Claiming it's an excuse for bad QB play.

I'd have to say the O-Line issues affect pretty much the whole team from Offense to Defense.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
We are dead last in offensive plays from scrimmage

We are dead last in offensive yards per game

We are dead last in time of possession per game

We are 29 out of 30 in offensive points per game

conversely we are top half of the league in every defensive category:
Points (4th)
Yards (12th)
Sacks (4th)

Can somebody explain to me again about how there should be equal blame?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 01:17 PM)Millhouse Wrote: If the defense was on the same level of suckyness as the offense, they would be 0-10 right now.

Exactly....The Defense is one of the better defenses in NFL......The Offense sucks. .....If the defense also sucked, yes 0-10. 

The Bengals offense gains no yards in second half all season.  This means the defense is on the field all second half of every game.  Bengals defense is a great defense because they have gave up few points in 2016 and 2017 which is AMAZING since the D gets NO HELP from the sucky offense....YES, I'm bashing the sucky offense, because I refuse to bash this very good defense.

Take the Browns game. Bengals D would be great to add in Fantasy Football. Dalton is a questionable add because even Browns D may blow up our O Line. ...So our D should keep Browns from scoring, but OUR offense might not score either. Our offense STINKS

How dare people say our defense is just as bad. Don't compare one of the better defenses in NFL to one of the worst offenses in NFL. If we had any offense, we would have had another 8-0 start like 2015. The defense is actually good. The only reason I don't add them in Fantasy Football is they get NO HELP from our offense and that hurts any defense. Saints, Steelers, Vikings, Patriots, Eagles defenses actually get some HELP from their offense. Heck, the Bengals D gives up 10 or 13 points and fans complain because our offense can'y score 13 points, well, that's the offense fault Most NFL teams score close to 30 a game, so Bengals holding teams in low 20's or less is GREAT DEFENSE.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 03:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's actually like...we just aren't a good team isn't it?

Yeah, that's pretty much a bingo. 

Cast blame on singularities or whatever it will always come back to the whole.

This is a bad football team.

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 04:49 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Yeah, that's pretty much a bingo. 

Yep....we've also had two kicks returned for TDs, missed XPs, blocked punts, a defense that is "gassed" in the first series of the game.  I guess people can't grasp it's hard for teams to score a lot on you when they're pounding the rock down your throat for 10 minutes a quarter.....lol.  Yes, the offense sucks too, and moreso than any other unit due to the five pukes they trot out there for linemen.

I will say this, in the Red Zone, the defense has looked pretty decent.....so long as the opposition doesn't have a bruiser RB, or a slightly below average TE that they can abuse the middle with.

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 03:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's actually like...we just aren't a good team isn't it?

The Defense has just as many guys rated Poor at their position by PFF.

True enough, but as Bfine's stats prove we are much better on Defense as a whole than we are on Offense.

The time of possession is really the most telling stat and it really hinders our Defense the most. Cannot blame them
as much as the Offense that is all i know. But as i said, both are to blame. The Defense would help themselves if they
got more 3 and outs and played more aggressive IMHO.

I don't put much stock into PFF, we have a lot more good players on Defense than Offense. Atkins, Dunlap, Burfict,
Lawson, Willis, WJ3 and now Billings is starting to come around. On Offense we have Dalton, Green and Mixon and
all are hampered by our O-line.
Reply/Quote

What is "bad" about a defense that is:

4th in Points

12th in Yards
4th in Sacks
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
The Defense is good but it can be elite and it isn't which is a problem. Look everyone with a brain new we would suck on offense but the question was could our D be great and carry us. They haven't and they could Which is a problem.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

It's coming back to the whole or THE HOLES alright. .  ..singularities or whatever

We have a very good defense....The Offense SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS....there, I'm BASHING the offense......I refuse to say our good defense is as bad as our SUCK Offense. .....Fantasy Football owners needing D would be smart to add Bengals D against Browns, but adding Bengals offensive players against Browns not such a hot idea.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 04:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We are dead last in offensive plays from scrimmage

We are dead last in offensive yards per game

We are dead last in time of possession per game

We are 29 out of 30 in offensive points per game

conversely we are top half of the league in every defensive category:
Points (4th)
Yards (12th)
Sacks (4th)

Can somebody explain to me again about how there should be equal blame?

Poor tackling  perhaps makes them look worse than they actually are. Not closing it out against Green Bay and Tennessee. Always stressing over Burfict..

These things create bad vibes. 

But the biggest problem is not closing it out against those 2 teams i would imagine.

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 04:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True enough, but as Bfine's stats prove we are much better on Defense as a whole than we are on Offense.

The time of possession is really the most telling stat and it really hinders our Defense the most. Cannot blame them
as much as the Offense that is all i know. But as i said, both are to blame. The Defense would help themselves if they
got more 3 and outs and played more aggressive IMHO.

I don't put much stock into PFF, we have a lot more good players on Defense than Offense. Atkins, Dunlap, Burfict,
Lawson, Willis, WJ3 and now Billings is starting to come around. On Offense we have Dalton, Green and Mixon and
all are hampered by our O-line.

Absolutely 100% all of this.  The offense is way more culpable in all of this.  No question.  However, as you noted, the defense has had their own 3rd struggles as of late.  Could it be their numbers are inflated from playing bad offenses overall?

They started off against a bad Ravens offense (18th scoring), a Texans offense that was starting Watson for the first time (6th), gave up the game in GB in the only game the offense really played well (20th scoring), then the Browns (32nd), Bills (19th), and Colts (25th).  Jax (8th) GASHED them from the opening kickoff, a dominant rushing performance.  The Titans (15th) ran all over them, as did Denver (24th).  Pittsburgh (14th) just totally beat the cornbread hell out of the entire team.

Yes, the offense is abysmal, but I think the defense has a couple fatal flaws that offenses are beginning to exploit, and maybe their numbers are a touch inflated due to playing against offenses that have had their share of scoring problems themselves

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 05:07 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote:  Poor tackling  perhaps makes them look worse than they actually are. Not closing it out against Green Bay and Tennessee. Always stressing over Burfict..

But the biggest problem is not closing it out against those 2 teams i would imagine.

The tackling/coverage between the 20s has been bad.  As I said, in the Red Zone, they have played pretty well, which is crucial. What are the turnover numbers?  I don't recall generating that many.

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 05:07 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote:  Poor tackling  perhaps makes them look worse than they actually are. Not closing it out against Green Bay and Tennessee. Always stressing over Burfict..

Third down Defense is the major problem their giving up  43%  which is 28th in the league. 
J24

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 05:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: The tackling/coverage between the 20s has been bad.  As I said, in the Red Zone, they have play pretty well, which is crucial. What are the turnover numbers?  I don't recall generating that many.

10 total turnovers (27th)
J24

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 04:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What is "bad" about a defense that is:

4th in Points

12th in Yards
4th in Sacks

We are 10th in points allowed, not 4th.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/position/defense

We are also...

27th in rush yards allowed
27th in forced turnovers (which hurts the offense and TOP)
28th in opponent's 3rd down % (which hurts the offense and TOP)
Dead last in 3rd down conversions allowed
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 05:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: The tackling/coverage between the 20s has been bad.  As I said, in the Red Zone, they have played pretty well, which is crucial. What are the turnover numbers?  I don't recall generating that many.

Funny you brought up turnovers because i was just going to edit my post to say that DreK's 100 yard pick, that wasn't a TD, is pretty much a perfect picture of the defense. Doing pretty good and then fumbling it away in the end in those two already mentioned cases. Which if not had happened would put us at 6-4 and most likely having a very different mind set right now.

So here it is, our Defense in a nutshell:

Reply/Quote