Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People shitting bricks over Disney movie about white "princess" of Africa
So there is this 800 sq mile strip of land between Egypt and Sudan that has been uninhabited and unclaimed for 100 years. Bir Tawil.

2 years ago, a litle girl in VA asked her dad, former Congressional candidate Jeremiah Heaton, if she could ever be a princess. He decides to look online and see if there are any unclaimed territories he could claim. He found this little piece of land and decided to claim it. He contacted Egyptian authorities and got permission to cross from Egypt into the land. He planted a flag and claimed it as the Kingdom of North Sudan, making himself king and his kids prince and princesses.

[Image: 10462970_790905254253517_497034777268888...-large.jpg]

He wants to use the land to advance research on sustainable energies and food production to help with world hunger.

Now Disney wants to make a movie about the story of this father and daughter. It will be called "the Princess of Africa".

This is where people get pissed. They say there has never been an African princess so it is insulting for the first Disney African princess to be white. But... this isn't a Disney cartoon. They also complain about how it's just glorifying colonialism... but no one lives there.

It's empty. It's barren land that no one wants and some dude walked his ass there and put a flag in the ground. No other government has recognized him so it's not even real yet. Hell, he won't even ever get recognition because he went back to Virginia. It's just a feel good story about a dad playing make believe with his daughter but actually taking a trip to plant a flag to make it true.

insert fake rage at white privilege or something...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-mans-claim-on-african-landis-unlikely-to-pass-test/2014/09/07/8bfac456-2ef9-11e4-bb9b-997ae96fad33_story.html

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2015/05/the_king_of_north_sudan_jeremiah_heaton_says_he_founded_his_own_country.html

http://www.theroot.com/blogs/the_grapevine/2015/05/disney_is_making_a_movie_about_va_man_who_claimed_kingdom_of_north_sudan.html
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
That's a pretty cool story.

I didn't buy my daughter ice cream last night because we were in a hurry to get home...and she works at DQ and can get it anytime. Smirk

Anyway...
[Image: Princessandthe_Frog_Poster.jpg]
imageupload

No African princesses?

Admittedly I didn't watch this movie but do they mean from Africa or just black?

Either way it sounds like people who just want to be upset about something...
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Nice beachfront property without the waterfront.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

(05-29-2015, 03:10 PM)GMDino Wrote: Anyway...
[Image: Princessandthe_Frog_Poster.jpg]
imageupload

No African princesses?

Admittedly I didn't watch this movie but do they mean from Africa or just black?

Either way it sounds like people who just want to be upset about something...

Tiana is African-American and from New Orleans; so she was the first 'African-American princess'.

(I've seen 'The Princess and The Frog' about 235 times. My daughter loves it.  It's actually really good.)
(05-29-2015, 03:34 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Nice beachfront property without the waterfront.

Don't have to worry about rising sea levels from global warming then...  Ninja

(05-29-2015, 03:40 PM)Donnyho Wrote: Tiana is African-American and from New Orleans; so she was the first 'African-American' princess.

(I've seen 'The Princess and The Frog' about 235 times. My daughter loves it.  It's actually really good.)

Ah!

Still...

And I don't miss those days of watching the same video over and over!   Tongue
The best part of this story is when people got butt hurt for no reason. And that's not taking away from how cool it was for this guy to find this place, casually call up Egypt, plant a flag and make his daughter a princess.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Dad of the year.
You'd think he'd have lost a little weight hiking all around the desert in Africa, eh.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Well he obviously must be an asshole for claiming a barren piece of land that no one wanted.
Hilarious..

This white guilt orogressives try and lob at us is hilarious.... As far as I am concerned the debt is paid.... Get over it ....

Thanks for sharing this Pat.... I had a good laugh
It's a cool story...but is anyone else amazed there was ANY unclaimed land for him to pull this off?
Nice story. Would make a nice storyline. People get upset over the simplest things. He wasn't even the first person to try to claim the area.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
(05-29-2015, 03:40 PM)Donnyho Wrote: Tiana is African-American and from New Orleans; so she was the first 'African-American princess'.

She was an American waitress. Not African, and not princess of anything but a one-day Mardi Gras parade.  Tongue

I'm with you guys on people getting upset over nothing, but people love to rage at Disney about this sort of thing. They saw a trend of white protagonists emerging (Because guess what? Hans Christian Andersen & the Brothers Grimm were Danish and German, respectively) and started to find fault with every little thing. People get mad about this nonsense all the time. Mulan is "too white", Frozen promotes lesbianism, Merida shouldn't be wearing a dress in the park, she hates dresses!

How fortunate are we to live in a time when people are so bored and content that they'll make s*** up to complain about?
People also need to realize that the vast majority of the princesses come from European stories. Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Snow White, Ariel, Elsa, Rapunzel, and Belle.

Mulan may or may not have existed and is a legendary character. Pocahontas was real but her legend exaggerated. Jasmine was made up by Disney because the princess of the emperor (Aladdin was Chinese despite it being an Arab tale) was named Badroulbadour. Badroulbadour doesn't sell as well as Jasmine.

To be fair to those who want Disney to appeal to all, they could find some African and South American tales to turn into movies to have true princesses from those areas.

but it's also ***** Disney. It's not life or death.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(05-30-2015, 10:19 AM)Ryuko Wrote: She was an American waitress. Not African, and not princess of anything but a one-day Mardi Gras parade.  Tongue

ACTUALLY her friend Charlotte was princess of the Mardi Gras parade. AND Tiana marries Prince Naveen, which makes her Princess of Maldonia (and allows her to break the curse with a 'kiss from a princess'). She's wearing her royal crown in the final scene of the movie:
[Image: tianadress3.png]

ALSO she's listed as an "Official Disney Princess":
[Image: disneyprincesses.jpg]

So yeah, she's a princess

Tongue

(as for the 'American' vs 'African-America'....well, some people of African descent identify as 'African-American')
We're all Africans if you go back far enough. So every princess ever has been from Africa.
(05-29-2015, 09:53 PM)treee Wrote: Well he obviously must be an asshole for claiming a barren piece of land that no one wanted.

And not being black apparently... Ninja
(05-30-2015, 11:48 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: People also need to realize that the vast majority of the princesses come from European stories. Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Snow White, Ariel, Elsa, Rapunzel, and Belle.

Mulan may or may not have existed and is a legendary character. Pocahontas was real but her legend exaggerated.  Jasmine was made up by Disney because the princess of the emperor (Aladdin was Chinese despite it being an Arab tale) was named Badroulbadour. Badroulbadour doesn't sell as well as Jasmine.

To be fair to those who want Disney to appeal to all, they could find some African and South American tales to turn into movies to have true princesses from those areas.

but it's also ***** Disney. It's not life or death.

I trademarked Badroulbadour in anticipation of that movie, and they went with Jasmine. :angry:
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Quote:People shitting bricks over Disney movie about white "princess" of Africa -
People just like getting all emotional about shyt so they don't have to look at how much of a mess their own lives are. Nothing to see here.

As to the story. Kudos to a man for having the ingenuity, and follow through to make his little girls dream come true.
Just another example of white imperialism.