Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pepper
How come we don't see players doing this anymore? I would see it occasionally as a kid when going to Riverfront. Even played it often myself with friends and team. Is this a lost part of the game?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There are a few coaches that still do it like old school. Rare to see it these days though. I guess home run or strike out is the norm.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 12:05 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: There are a few coaches that still do it like old school. Rare to see it these days though. I guess home run or strike out is the norm.

Fun game while getting loosened up. 

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 12:05 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: There are a few coaches that still do it like old school. Rare to see it these days though. I guess home run or strike out is the norm.

I always thought of it as a fielding drill instead of hitting

[Image: no-pepper.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Yes, it is a fielding drill. Just saying if the batter only hits home runs or strikes out, then no need for pepper.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 03:24 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Yes, it is a fielding drill. Just saying if the batter only hits home runs or strikes out, then no need for pepper.

Gotcha.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 12:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I always thought of it as a fielding drill instead of hitting

[Image: no-pepper.jpg]

Actually, it is also for hitting. Even though things are much slower, it gets the eyes used to focusing on the ball when batting. Remember, the goal is to hit ground balls and hitting one catchable in the air loses your at bat. Like I said, very minor hitting workout because you can’t “slug away,” but a good warmup before a game.

Reply/Quote
Just a tune up for fielding really. They don't throw like pitchers, but I don't really get why so many parks have gotten rid of it unless they just don't want anyone to actually have fun anymore. I think the lack of fun in baseball in so many places has kind of killed the game at the local level. We played from sunup to sundown. The same field we played on no longer exist as a baseball field. It's more or less a cut down thicket anymore.. A complete waste of resources now.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 10:10 PM)grampahol Wrote: Just a tune up for fielding really. They don't throw like pitchers, but I don't really get why so many parks have gotten rid of it unless they just don't want anyone to actually have fun anymore. I think the lack of fun in baseball in so many places has kind of killed the game at the local level. We played from sunup to sundown. The same field we played on no longer exist as a baseball field. It's more or less a cut down thicket anymore.. A complete waste of resources now.. 

I couldn't tell you how long it's been since I've passed a field/big yard with a bunch of 10 year olds playing baseball ? Does wiffle ball even exist anymore ?

I think all that stuff along with pepper is a thing of the past.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 10:43 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I couldn't tell you how long it's been since I've passed a field/big yard with a bunch of 10 year olds playing baseball ? Does wiffle ball even exist anymore ?

I think all that stuff along with pepper is a thing of the past.

I grew up in the 80’s and there was always a wiggle ballgame going back n with any free time. It’s just one of the casualties of Video Games. Technology has it’s good points but it has really changed everything. Are Family Dinners even a thing anymore? Social Media and Video Games sometimes seem like mind control. Wait, I didn’t even realize that I was on this Reds Message Board again. See what I mean!
Reply/Quote
Here is an old video from MLB about Pepper and how it is leaving the game.

https://www.mlb.com/video/baseballs-lost-art-pepper/c-44647483

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 04:27 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Here is an old video from MLB about Pepper and how it is leaving the game.

https://www.mlb.com/video/baseballs-lost-art-pepper/c-44647483

It’s a great game and maybe just me missing childhood, but remember how fun it was.

Reply/Quote