Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pepperidge Farms Remembers
"The Bengals re-signing Bobby Hart means they are done working on the line and are satisfied with what they have! What a joke! Now we're stuck with Bobby for 3 years at a ridiculous price!"

People were saying similar on here a month and a half ago ago, but...
1) They've drafted a much needed new OT, possibly the best in the draft depending who you ask.
2) Bobby Hart will be gone in a year.
3) Bobby Hart isn't ever going to get $21 million from the Bengals.

Maybe we shouldn't overreact quite so much? Cool
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:15 AM)NKURyan Wrote: "The Bengals re-signing Bobby Hart means they are done working on the line and are satisfied with what they have! What a joke! Now we're stuck with Bobby for 3 years at a ridiculous price!"

1) They've drafted a much needed new OT, possibly the best in the draft depending who you ask.

Maybe we shouldn't overreact quite so much?  Cool

They drafted Williams in the 1st this year and last year they traded down for Glenn and took Price in the 1st...but Mike Brown doesn't value the OL.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Players get injured and he’ll be the backup if not the starter. Williams could end up at guard even.
Reply/Quote
Where's ma' linebacker?
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:50 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Where's ma' linebacker?

Quiet, you.  Tongue
Reply/Quote
Does Pepperidge Farms also Remember letting Whitworth and Zeitler go in the first place?
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:59 AM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Does Pepperidge Farms also Remember letting Whitworth and Zeitler go in the first place?

You're right, guess they should've invented a time machine this offseason. Problem solved.
Reply/Quote
There is still the outside chance that Turner found Hart's weaknesses and can fix him.. I'm not in any way predicting that's the case, but if it happens then BOY HOWDY! Kind of like a pitcher who could never finish 3 innings then finds the right pitch that works for him and goes on to win the Cy Young.. OK, so now I'm delving into fantasyland thinking, but hey, why not? It's 2 am and I have nothing better to do than dream up stuff that might happen if our moon is in pluto at the right time.. Wink 

If NKURyan can conjure up Pepperidge Farms I can conjure up moons in pluto at the right time.. It's only fair. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Bobby Fart has a ways to go but he an everyone else would benefit from other good OLmen playing around him. I wasnt impressed with Glenn last year. He didnt seem terrible, but didnt impress me at LT. It will be interested to see who ends up where.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 05:52 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Bobby Fart has a ways to go but he an everyone else would benefit from other good OLmen playing around him. I wasnt impressed with Glenn last year. He didnt seem terrible, but didnt impress me at LT. It will be interested to see who ends up where.

To be fair Glenn was battling injury last year. I think he will play better this year. Idk who's going to be LT and RT though. The more I think about it the more it makes sense for Williams to be LT since he'll be the future. IDK how long Glenn will be a Bengal.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:15 AM)NKURyan Wrote: "The Bengals re-signing Bobby Hart means they are done working on the line and are satisfied with what they have! What a joke! Now we're stuck with Bobby for 3 years at a ridiculous price!"

Maybe we shouldn't overreact quite so much?  Cool

Maybe Hart improves and makes depth a positive on the line. Maybe the competition makes all the tackles better.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:50 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Where's ma' linebacker?

Only have 1 pick...

Can only get 1 player
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 03:03 AM)grampahol Wrote: There is still the outside chance that Turner found Hart's weaknesses and can fix him.. I'm not in any way predicting that's the case, but if it happens then BOY HOWDY! Kind of like a pitcher who could never finish 3 innings then finds the right pitch that works for him and goes on to win the Cy Young.. OK, so now I'm delving into fantasyland thinking, but hey, why not? It's 2 am and I have nothing better to do than dream up stuff that might happen if our moon is in pluto at the right time.. Wink 

If NKURyan can conjure up Pepperidge Farms I can conjure up moons in pluto at the right time.. It's only fair. 

Hart is still young I think 24 with 4 years in the NFL... So he has time to get it fixed and have a very long and producitive career...

Worst case he can backup both OT spots or RG spot.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 07:12 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Maybe Hart improves and makes depth a positive on the line. Maybe the competition makes all the tackles better.

So maybe it wasn't the worst signing in the history of the franchise like some made it out to be?
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:57 AM)NKURyan Wrote: So maybe it wasn't the worst signing in the history of the franchise like some made it out to be?

I question if they could have used the money elsewhere to upgrade. We went into free agency with some $50+ million in cap space and only upgraded Guard in a minor way.

Instead of signing a below average Guard and poor OT in Hart, why not just sign 1 good Guard in Saffold?

Or why not sign a LB?

I'm on record for wanting us to go OT in the 1st instead of signing Hart.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 11:00 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I question if they could have used the money elsewhere to upgrade. We went into free agency with some $50+ million in cap space and only upgraded Guard in a minor way.

Instead of signing a below average Guard and poor OT in Hart, why not just sign 1 good Guard in Saffold?

Or why not sign a LB?

I'm on record for wanting us to go OT in the 1st instead of signing Hart.

I think the approach was always this: We need an OT. We can probably draft a better OT than Bobby Hart. But if we resign Bobby Hart and the draft doesn't break the right way, we don't have to reach for an OT. Without resigning Hart, they would have basically had to grab an OT 1st, but this at least allowed them to look at other positions.

If the Bengals weren't able to take a long hard look at LB, maybe the Steelers don't get antsy and jump that high in the draft costing them picks. If everyone knows the Bengals have to take an OT, maybe a different team jumps ahead of us to grab the guy we want (whereas this year, if teams were thinking we were going with LB they had literally no chance to do so).

Maybe Bobby Hart's a guard now? I've seen others around here say that he's better suited there.

All of this is simply conjecture, of course, but it boils down to what I was saying from the get go - let's not be too hasty in condemning every move they make. Hell, there are STILL people around here who will throw out the "how could they pay Hart $21 million" thing when that's been debunked time and time again.
Reply/Quote
As I said at the time, the money always told the story of Hart. It was a three year deal but a one year low risk low end starter contract in case we didn't get a tackle early or took one of the project guys.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 11:28 AM)Au165 Wrote: As I said at the time, the money always told the story of Hart. It was a three year deal but a one year low risk low end starter contract in case we didn't get a tackle early or took one of the project guys.

Bingo!
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 11:28 AM)Au165 Wrote: As I said at the time, the money always told the story of Hart. It was a three year deal but a one year low risk low end starter contract in case we didn't get a tackle early or took one of the project guys.

(04-26-2019, 11:29 AM)NKURyan Wrote: Bingo!

And who says the new coaches don't see potential in him at a different position?  New OL coach, new OFF Coord, new scheme, new position perhaps?  let's keep some optimism and always keep in mind that for the good or the ill, we're in a much different world now.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 12:15 PM)Stewy Wrote: And who says the new coaches don't see potential in him at a different position?  New OL coach, new OFF Coord, new scheme, new position perhaps?  let's keep some optimism and always keep in mind that for the good or the ill, we're in a much different world now.

Again, they paid him with a one year commitment basically and they hold an "option" if he pans out for the next tow years but the contract structure shows they only "believed" enough for one year. 
Reply/Quote