Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Per Adam Schein Andy has career year!
(05-14-2019, 04:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm talking about casuals, sandwedge. We don't have any casuals on these boards, but they do comprise most of the fan base. That said, Del Rio was a "name" with a far better resume. I would've been good with Anarumo if he had great success elsewhere or past (good) experience as a DC, or if he was viewed as an "up and comer".

None of those things describe Anarumo. As a db coach, he's "just a guy". Never been a coordinator, never had any interviews to be one. Never had any real success as a db coach, where his secondaries have been mediocre at best. You guys keep ripping into anyone who wasn't thrilled by that hire, but you never tell us why we're wrong. Why should I be excited about Anarumo? You tell me. 

As for June 1st, we'll see. Maybe we do wind up getting someone good. I can only judge what happened in March, and it wasn't good.

I know from speaking to Pistons personally and from various posts on the boards that he's excited as well. He's just also frustrated at what some feel were some missed opportunities this off-season. Funny thing is, I have a feeling that if you met Pistons irl, you guys would agree on most things. His biggest gripe is free agency, which is something you've complained about as well.

You just choose to go at anyone being negative until you feel like indulging in it yourself.

I get ya.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 06:49 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Hey man, he's just being "real". Optimism? You're a homer.

That is way to simplistic. May I ask how many years you’ve been a bengal fan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 09:37 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: That is way to simplistic.  May I ask how many years you’ve been a bengal fan?

All my life? Do you want to know how long I've had season tickets next? Have I passed the purity test?

The post you quoted was sarcasm, btw. As demonstrated earlier in the thread, I'm one of the "homers".  Wink
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 11:40 PM)NKURyan Wrote: All my life? Do you want to know how long I've had season tickets next? Have I passed the purity test?

The post you quoted was sarcasm, btw. As demonstrated earlier in the thread, I'm one of the "homers".  Wink

Well I thought I'd try and have a civil discussion with you but I'm not sure that's possible
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 04:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote:  I have a feeling that if you met Pistons irl, you guys would agree on most things.

(05-14-2019, 06:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He doesn't just rip the team.

He openly mocks fans who would consider buying season tickets.

It may be best for Pistons and Fred to never meet in person.

It could cause a Back to the Future type destruction of the space/time continuum.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 10:33 AM)depthchart Wrote: It may be best for Pistons and Fred to never meet in person.

It could cause a Back to the Future type destruction of the space/time continuum.  Mellow
I'd love to be there!! Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 06:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No doubt.  It has been a while since we have had as much potential to go 2-14.

I am sure his excitement levels are through he roof.

Why do you feel this team has this 'much potential to go 2-14'?

Contrary to what you guys and gals think and try to paint me as, I would love to see this team consistently win and also consistently beat the Steelers. I am around A LOT of Steelers fans, and it would be great to have bragging rights. Lots of Bengals fans would hide the fact that they are a Bengals fan among Steeler fans, but I wear my jersey and have my helmet on display.

I also look forward to going to a game or two this year. I think you all should go if you live close whether the team wins or loses. Compared to other NFL cities, you can sometimes go for half the price of say Steelers tickets. Hopefully they win this time when I go! BTW...coming in from Kentucky, seeing the city of Cincy how it just kind of pops up all at once is pretty cool. The Roebling bridge was interesting too.

In the playoff game a few years ago, we had that game late and I was ecstatic...only to have the game fumbled then personal fouled away. I've since lowered my expectations to avoid disappointment.

For some reason, me not being happy with free agency and the DC hire leads to me being painted as a Bengals-hater which just isn't true. Obviously, for this team to not win a single playoff game in 27+ years in a league where all but a few teams have won 5+...there are things that aren't great.

I thought that the Jonah Williams pick was great! It's awesome when the BAP also fits your biggest position of need.

The Sample pick, meh. But, a blocking TE does have value. Pratt? Seems to have a lot of potential. I still think we need to sign a veteran LB as I don't think relying on a rookie/Evans/Jefferson/Nickerson to man a spot is wise. Plus, even if one of those guys is a decent starter...we need depth.

Honestly, I've read in other threads where you said you weren't happy with free agency this year and you said no coach would be.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 06:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He doesn't just rip the team.

He openly mocks fans who would consider buying season tickets.

My point on that isn't ripping fans. Fans don't seem to go to games in bulk anyways. The issue is, they had $50+ million in cap space and some glaring needs on the roster...and spent the money bringing guys back, and signing Hart, Miller, and Webb.

You've said in other threads that no coach would be happy with this free agency.

A New Day marketing campaign is one thing and I do think that changing the coaching staff and assistants is a big step forward...it's just probably 3 years too late...after the roster lost a lot of good players via free agency. We still have some talent left on the roster, but we also have some glaring needs too.

It would be great to have those 1 or 2 signings that excite the fanbase and get the back going to games. Now, the question is: Would 1-2 signings make fans go?

I'll try to make it to a game or two this year. And I would encourage others to go too. Compared to Steelers ticket prices and other prices at stadiums...the Bengals tickets were about half the price from what I saw. Concessions and the fan shop were among the lowest of any sports venue I've been at too.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 11:40 PM)NKURyan Wrote: All my life? Do you want to know how long I've had season tickets next? Have I passed the purity test?

Is there only 1 way to be a fan? Does someone have to cheer EVERY move the Bengals make?

I'm sure the Bengals make moves that you don't like. Would you care to share any?

Were you happy with free agency this year for instance?
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 10:33 AM)depthchart Wrote: It may be best for Pistons and Fred to never meet in person.

(05-15-2019, 11:23 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I'd love to be there!! Hilarious

It would be fun to watch until we all noticed ourselves starting to disappear as their yin/yang meeting sparked the space/time continuum Universe destruction.  Tongue

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 11:53 AM)depthchart Wrote: It would be fun to watch until we all noticed ourselves starting to disappear as their yin/yang meeting sparked the space/time continuum Universe destruction.  Tongue

I think that if me and Fred listed our thoughts on the team, that a lot would overlap.

Basically free agency is my main gripe with the team. My secondary gripe is the DC search. I think going with an established DC would have been the smart move. Also, I feel we need more scouts and a better practice facility.

Does anyone want to go on record as saying they are happy with any of those things?
Reply/Quote
The issue is that this thread isn't about any of that stuff. The thread started out as a discussion of an article predicting that Andy might have a huge year in ZT's offense, while also mentioning the prediction that the defense might struggle. You've since steered the discussion into a) this front office hasn't won a playoff game in 27 years, b) you being unhappy with their approach to free agency, c) you being unhappy with their second round draft pick, e) a critique of the coaching hires, and d) all the things you would have done differently this offseason. None of these are relevant to the initial discussion, yet it seems like you bring them up constantly in every thread you show up in regardless. Can't you see how that might lead to people thinking you're just the *slightest* bit overly negative when you bring the same tired points up over and over and over again no matter the relevance?

That's not to say those things are worth discussing - they are opinions that you are allowed to share and discuss at your leisure - but there are plenty of threads where those points are actually valid for you to do just that. Take them there instead of coming into every thread that might be the slightest bit positive.

Doubling down on calling people "homers" when you get called out on it, acting like people who might have been excited about Auden Tate in the preseason last year were morons (some of who have since showed up in this thread) for doing so, ridiculous use of hyperbole ("people keep saying Taylor's a genius" despite no one actually saying that)... that kind of stuff doesn't help your case at all.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 12:11 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Well I thought I'd try and have a civil discussion with you but I'm not sure that's possible

Interesting approach to starting one...
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 10:33 AM)depthchart Wrote: It may be best for Pistons and Fred to never meet.

I went to my first game at PBS with one of my arch nemeses from the original board, Joe From Florence.

Joe and i got into some pretty heated debates, but he did not resort to making up complete lies like Pistons.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 11:51 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: My point on that isn't ripping fans. Fans don't seem to go to games in bulk anyways. The issue is, they had $50+ million in cap space and some glaring needs on the roster...and spent the money bringing guys back, and signing Hart, Miller, and Webb.

You've said in other threads that no coach would be happy with this free agency.

A New Day marketing campaign is one thing and I do think that changing the coaching staff and assistants is a big step forward...it's just probably 3 years too late...after the roster lost a lot of good players via free agency. We still have some talent left on the roster, but we also have some glaring needs too.

It would be great to have those 1 or 2 signings that excite the fanbase and get the back going to games. Now, the question is: Would 1-2 signings make fans go?

I'll try to make it to a game or two this year. And I would encourage others to go too. Compared to Steelers ticket prices and other prices at stadiums...the Bengals tickets were about half the price from what I saw. Concessions and the fan shop were among the lowest of any sports venue I've been at too.

I'll say this, I quit going after Marv was retained following the '15 playoff meltdown.  I said I'd return when they made some sort of effort to improve.  They did, I'll be going......so long as the wife's work schedule (third shift hospital) doesn't interfere.  At any rate, some time soon, I'll make another game.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 11:56 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think that if me and Fred listed our thoughts on the team, that a lot would overlap.

Basically free agency is my main gripe with the team. My secondary gripe is the DC search. I think going with an established DC would have been the smart move. Also, I feel we need more scouts and a better practice facility.

Does anyone want to go on record as saying they are happy with any of those things?

Free agency has LONG been a gripe of mine, I'm sure you remember.  I was disappointed with the haul, but I also realized this season was a shitty year for the needs we had.  The players that would have made significant improvements got WAY overpaid....including the ones we DID sign.

I'm deferring to Zac on the DC.  He's been given the reins.

Agree on the scouts and practice facility.

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 12:09 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Interesting approach to starting one...

I asked you a very simple question. I got a response that came off as a 15 year old internet tough guy.

If you’d like to try again I’m ok with that. I’ll start.

I’ve been a fan for almost 45 years. I don’t claim to be any sort of expert on the nfl or the bengals in particular. I was on the mother ship forums. I took a break after people migrated to this site. Were you on the mothership forums?

I think anyone has the rite to be as optimistic or as pessimistic as they choose. That’s what makes message boards go round. The whole homer vs hater bit I find frustrating. I’d like to believe most people in jungle noise would like to see the bengals win a title.

But I all too often see people post something and then get jumped on by someone on the “other” with some half assed stat designed to show how their opinion is wrong. Too much I’m gonna prove myself right no matter the cost around here. Leads to much petty bickering and not enough discussion

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 01:22 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: But I all too often see people post something and then get jumped on by someone on the “other” with some half assed stat designed to show how their opinion is wrong.  Too much I’m gonna prove myself right no matter the cost around here.  Leads to much petty bickering and not enough discussion

Or when someone has a pretty clear general point their Post is making, yet another Poster chooses to jump on one word, then define that word and state how they should have never used that one word. Then the clear general point does not get discussed and everyone starts bringing out their Dictionaries and arguing about how that one word should not have been used.

It is almost like one has to provide Footnotes to all of their Posts just to avoid it going off in Tangents.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 02:13 PM)depthchart Wrote: Or when someone has a pretty clear general point their Post is making, yet another Poster chooses to jump on one word, then define that word and state how they should have never used that one word. Then the clear general point does not get discussed and everyone starts bringing out their Dictionaries and arguing about how that one word should not have been used.

It is almost like one has to provide Footnotes to all of their Posts just to avoid it going off in Tangents.

No.

Mellow

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 01:22 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I asked you a very simple question.  I got a response that came off as a 15 year old internet tough guy.

If you’d like to try again I’m ok with that.  I’ll start.

I’ve been a fan for almost 45 years.  I don’t claim to be any sort of expert on the nfl or the bengals in particular.  I was on the mother ship forums.  I took a break after people migrated to this site.  Were you on the mothership forums?

I think anyone has the rite to be as optimistic or as pessimistic as they choose.  That’s what makes message boards go round.  The whole homer vs hater bit I find frustrating.  I’d like to believe most people in jungle noise would like to see the bengals win a title.  

But I all too often see people post something and then get jumped on by someone on the “other” with some half assed stat designed to show how their opinion is wrong.  Too much I’m gonna prove myself right no matter the cost around here.  Leads to much petty bickering and not enough discussion

I got a question that came off as talking down to me as a fan. Civil.

But yeah, I was on the mothership forums way back when. Pretty sure I had the same username, though I can't recall for sure. I remember the smack talk forums, I remember the guy with Steve Colbert signature that always changed (I even made the list once!), I recognize some of the names on here from back then. I took a break before it left Bengals.com, mainly because I was tired of all the negativity that was all over the place even as the Bengals were doing really well. I've lurked here for awhile before finally taking the plunge and re-registering after the coaching change.

I agree that everyone has the right to be as optimistic or pessimistic as they choose, but as stated in a post earlier there are places for both. This thread started as a relatively optimistic take on Andy Dalton and how he'd perform next year based on an article published by a national writer... why exactly does this thread need to devolve into (yet another) blasting of the front office, or pointing out they haven't had success in 27 years, or dissing the coaching hires, or complaining about a draft pick, etc? None of that adds anything to what this thread was initially about and there are tons of other threads where those other discussions can be had (which I can just choose to ignore altogether). And this happens ALL THE TIME around here. There's being a pessimist, and then there's the guy who goes to a kid's birthday party and tells him that he's going to die someday. THAT'S what killed the actual discussion in this thread, and caused the "petty bickering" in the first place.

I get called a homer on here all the time, as if it's some kind of insult. Oh gee, the guy who spends a lot of time browsing a Bengals messageboard in May after 3 straight losing seasons is a homer, no way, what a shock, such a burn. I will point out that I've never called anybody here an out-and-out hater, because you wouldn't be here if you were one (unless you were just the worst kind of troll or something). I'll point out overt negativity, sure, but that's not the same thing and it's not exactly a stretch to do so.
Reply/Quote