Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Per Adam Schein Andy has career year!
(05-15-2019, 12:54 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'll say this, I quit going after Marv was retained following the '15 playoff meltdown.  I said I'd return when they made some sort of effort to improve.  They did, I'll be going......so long as the wife's work schedule (third shift hospital) doesn't interfere.  At any rate, some time soon, I'll make another game.

That's great to hear! I found the experience very enjoyable.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 02:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's great to hear! I found the experience very enjoyable.

Fun fact, I attended my first game in 1988, and aside from the Jets playoff loss, I've never seen the Bengals lose in person.  I even saw the first win in '08....lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 02:42 PM)Wyche Wrote:  
Fun fact, I attended my first game in 1988, and aside from the Jets playoff loss, I've never seen the Bengals lose in person.  I even saw the first win in '08....lol.

That's pretty awesome!

I have a goal to try to be there when they do win their 1st playoff game. Hopefully it's soon! 27 years is insanely too long.
Reply/Quote
I'm looking at the Cardinals or Jaguars games for this season. We should be able to win those. Jax could be a good team though as they were good 2 years ago.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 12:57 PM)Wyche Wrote: Free agency has LONG been a gripe of mine, I'm sure you remember.  I was disappointed with the haul, but I also realized this season was a shitty year for the needs we had.  The players that would have made significant improvements got WAY overpaid....including the ones we DID sign.

I'm deferring to Zac on the DC.  He's been given the reins.

Agree on the scouts and practice facility.

I guess to me it comes down to instead of adding 3 mediocre guys...why not add a Saffold and LJ Fort who address needs?

I feel like we could have waited Hart out and signed him cheaper. Of course, we'll never know that either way.

But, I feel like getting Jonah Williams was a stroke of great luck that negates the bad Hart signing in some ways. Lets hope he turns into a Pro Bowl tackle for the next 12 years. And lets also hope that Price becomes a Top 15 Center this year. IF those 2 things happen, our line is looking good for the future.

And I do expect Price to take a giant leap forward this year.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 02:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's pretty awesome!

I have a goal to try to be there when they do win their 1st playoff game. Hopefully it's soon! 27 years is insanely too long.

Man, I would love that.  That particular year was the only time I was able to score any home playoff tickets.  I'm kinda glad I missed the others....lol.

(05-15-2019, 02:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm looking at the Cardinals or Jaguars games for this season. We should be able to win those. Jax could be a good team though as they were good 2 years ago.

Ironically, that first win in '08 was against JAX, and was Cedric Benson's coming out party.  He torched them. We had Fitzamagic at the helm.  We almost lost it though, went into the 4th up 21-3, and squeaked out a 21-19 W.  I went in fully expecting a loss, and it turned into a high-fiving, chest-bumping kinda party. Smirk

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 02:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I guess to me it comes down to instead of adding 3 mediocre guys...why not add a Saffold and LJ Fort who address needs?

I feel like we could have waited Hart out and signed him cheaper. Of course, we'll never know that either way.

But, I feel like getting Jonah Williams was a stroke of great luck that negates the bad Hart signing in some ways. Lets hope he turns into a Pro Bowl tackle for the next 12 years. And lets also hope that Price becomes a Top 15 Center this year. IF those 2 things happen, our line is looking good for the future.

And I do expect Price to take a giant leap forward this year.

That would have been nice, and those guys didn't command a lot of coin when the dust settled.

I agree there as well, although the deal isn't as bad as it initially looked on the surface.  It still looks like a kind of panic insurance policy reaction.

I actually think Jonah was the target all along.  I mean, Bush wasn't even hugging Goofball when the pick was in for us....lol.  I think something major will have to happen for Williams NOT to pan out.  This guy has all of the tools, AND the intangibles.  I hate to jinx us, but he absolutely looks the part.  If Williams is the real deal, Glenn can just stay healthy, Price improves, and Miller plays at least mostly penalty free football, we should see nice improvement.  A HUGE problem with the line last year was drive killing penalties.

I do as well, he'll have a full offseason of lifting and practices this season, and year of play under his belt.  That should pay dividends. Hopefully.

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 02:13 PM)depthchart Wrote: Or when someone has a pretty clear general point their Post is making, yet another Poster chooses to jump on one word, then define that word and state how they should have never used that one word. Then the clear general point does not get discussed and everyone starts bringing out their Dictionaries and arguing about how that one word should not have been used.

It is almost like one has to provide Footnotes to all of their Posts just to avoid it going off in Tangents.

(05-15-2019, 02:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: No.

Mellow

I spell checked how you spelled the word "No" and it turns out that you are in the clear.  Rock On
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 02:34 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I got a question that came off as talking down to me as a fan. Civil.

But yeah, I was on the mothership forums way back when. Pretty sure I had the same username, though I can't recall for sure. I remember the smack talk forums, I remember the guy with Steve Colbert signature that always changed (I even made the list once!), I recognize some of the names on here from back then. I took a break before it left Bengals.com, mainly because I was tired of all the negativity that was all over the place even as the Bengals were doing really well. I've lurked here for awhile before finally taking the plunge and re-registering after the coaching change.

I agree that everyone has the right to be as optimistic or pessimistic as they choose, but as stated in a post earlier there are places for both. This thread started as a relatively optimistic take on Andy Dalton and how he'd perform next year based on an article published by a national writer... why exactly does this thread need to devolve into (yet another) blasting of the front office, or pointing out they haven't had success in 27 years, or dissing the coaching hires, or complaining about a draft pick, etc? None of that adds anything to what this thread was initially about and there are tons of other threads where those other discussions can be had (which I can just choose to ignore altogether). And this happens ALL THE TIME around here. There's being a pessimist, and then there's the guy who goes to a kid's birthday party and tells him that he's going to die someday. THAT'S what killed the actual discussion in this thread, and caused the "petty bickering" in the first place.

I get called a homer on here all the time, as if it's some kind of insult. Oh gee, the guy who spends a lot of time browsing a Bengals messageboard in May after 3 straight losing seasons is a homer, no way, what a shock, such a burn. I will point out that I've never called anybody here an out-and-out hater, because you wouldn't be here if you were one (unless you were just the worst kind of troll or something). I'll point out overt negativity, sure, but that's not the same thing and it's not exactly a stretch to do so.

I wasn’t trying to talk down to you as a fan, just trying to get a general sense of where your coming from so I apologize for the miscommunication.

It has just been extremely frustrating to see so many other teams win playoff games since our last playoff win. Especially in a league where large market teams can’t out spend small market teams for player acquisition. A league that gives teams easier schedules based on last years record. A league that evenly divides it tv contract money. In short, a league that seems to try very hard to promote parity.

Not trying to sound preachy here but when you hear how the bengals have something like 30 mil under the cap some year because they are waiting to extend guys next year it gives off the PERCEPTION that winning may be less important. I won’t fault anyone for eternal optimism but my orange colored glasses aren’t on all the time. Not saying yours are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 03:31 PM)depthchart Wrote: I spell checked how you spelled the word "No" and it turns out that you are in the clear.  Rock On

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 03:46 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Not trying to sound preachy here but when you hear how the bengals have something like 30 mil under the cap some year because they are waiting to extend guys next year it gives off the PERCEPTION that winning may be less important.  I won’t fault anyone for eternal optimism but my orange colored glasses aren’t on all the time.  Not saying yours are.

If I have to choose between resigning Green and Boyd or signing any of the guys in last years FA market, I know which one I'm taking. To me the inactivity in FA is more an indication that they've got a more long term strategy in mind and I've said as much. Otherwise you end up like the Reds - a lot of splashy offseason moves, sure, but it's lead to nothing so far and most of these guys are going to be gone in a year. The Bengals MO has always been to develop and keep their own best guys while building through the draft and that's what they're doing. I think a lot of people want to spend money just to see them spend money, but that doesn't make it the right course of action.

The time to make a splash in FA is in an offseason after a season like 2015, when you're right there but haven't quite gotten over the hump, not when you're coming off a 6-10 season and integrating a brand new coaching staff.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 04:44 PM)NKURyan Wrote: If I have to choose between resigning Green and Boyd or signing any of the guys in last years FA market, I know which one I'm taking. To me the inactivity in FA is more an indication that they've got a more long term strategy in mind and I've said as much. Otherwise you end up like the Reds - a lot of splashy offseason moves, sure, but it's lead to nothing so far and most of these guys are going to be gone in a year. The Bengals MO has always been to develop and keep their own best guys while building through the draft and that's what they're doing. I think a lot of people want to spend money just to see them spend money, but that doesn't make it the right course of action.

The time to make a splash in FA is in an offseason after a season like 2015, when you're right there but haven't quite gotten over the hump, not when you're coming off a 6-10 season and integrating a brand new coaching staff.

I agree that re-signing Green and Boyd is a must.

But, what I question is spending money on Hart, Webb, and Miller as opposed to using that on other guys like LJ Fort. Then, maybe you land Hart cheaper after a few weeks.

It would have been nice to see us fill some glaring starting needs before backup needs. That's my point.

After 2015 is when we lost Sanu, Jones, Nelson, Lamur, Andre Smith, Leon Hall, AJ Hawk, and Brandon Tate. Yeah some of those guys were below average, but some were really good. Losing those guys started the ball rolling on 3 losing season.

I would argue that the time to spend was 2014, 2013, etc. We were so close roster-wise and maybe upgrading at Center or getting that LB that could cover a TE would have put us over the top? In the playoffs, coaches find and go after weaknesses relentlessly...and even our best rosters generally had holes at Center and pass coverage at LB (Maualuga).
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 05:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I agree that re-signing Green and Boyd is a must.

But, what I question is spending money on Hart, Webb, and Miller as opposed to using that on other guys like LJ Fort. Then, maybe you land Hart cheaper after a few weeks.

It would have been nice to see us fill some glaring starting needs before backup needs. That's my point.

After 2015 is when we lost Sanu, Jones, Nelson, Lamur, Andre Smith, Leon Hall, AJ Hawk, and Brandon Tate. Yeah some of those guys were below average, but some were really good. Losing those guys started the ball rolling on 3 losing season.

I would argue that the time to spend was 2014, 2013, etc. We were so close roster-wise and maybe upgrading at Center or getting that LB that could cover a TE would have put us over the top? In the playoffs, coaches find and go after weaknesses relentlessly...and even our best rosters generally had holes at Center and pass coverage at LB (Maualuga).

Yes sir, I recall those conversations.  A not over the hill Karlos Dansby, and Alex Mack were out there if I recall correctly.  I think they could have gotten us over the hump.

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 04:44 PM)NKURyan Wrote: If I have to choose between resigning Green and Boyd or signing any of the guys in last years FA market, I know which one I'm taking. To me the inactivity in FA is more an indication that they've got a more long term strategy in mind and I've said as much. Otherwise you end up like the Reds - a lot of splashy offseason moves, sure, but it's lead to nothing so far and most of these guys are going to be gone in a year. The Bengals MO has always been to develop and keep their own best guys while building through the draft and that's what they're doing. I think a lot of people want to spend money just to see them spend money, but that doesn't make it the right course of action.

But I’m not talking specifically about this year. I agree aj and Boyd merit extensions and would take priority over this years free agent class.

But all too often I fall into the trap of I’d like to see the bengals sign (as an example, insert other name here) cj Mosley. Then I see the deal and I’m like damn, I’m glad they didn’t sign him to that deal. Then I see the salary cap rise every and that deal may not seem so bad.

I also agree with splash free agent signing for that one good player at a position of need to get us over the hump. But even then, when did the bengals make that move?

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 11:58 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: But I’m not talking specifically about this year.  I agree aj and Boyd merit extensions and would take priority over this years free agent class.

But all too often I fall into the trap of I’d like to see the bengals sign (as an example, insert other name here) cj Mosley.  Then I see the deal and I’m like damn, I’m glad they didn’t sign him to that deal.  Then I see the salary cap rise every and that deal may not seem so bad.  

I also agree with splash free agent signing for that one good player at a position of need to get us over the hump.  But even then, when did the bengals make that move?

Maybe you aren't talking specifically about this year, but I still think it holds true in general - last year they were right to re-sign both Dunlap and Atkins instead of blowing it all in free agency.

The Jets are so happy with all the money that they've spent in FA (more than any other this offseason) that they just fired their GM before these guys have even played a down.

To answer your final question, not very often, but it's not like it's never happened either. They signed TO after the 2009 playoff season when they desperately needed another threat at WR which had the national media and fanbase worked up to a frenzy prior to 2010.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 01:22 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I asked you a very simple question.  I got a response that came off as a 15 year old internet tough guy.

If you’d like to try again I’m ok with that.  I’ll start.

I’ve been a fan for almost 45 years.  I don’t claim to be any sort of expert on the nfl or the bengals in particular.  I was on the mother ship forums.  I took a break after people migrated to this site.  Were you on the mothership forums?

I think anyone has the rite to be as optimistic or as pessimistic as they choose.  That’s what makes message boards go round.  The whole homer vs hater bit I find frustrating.  I’d like to believe most people in jungle noise would like to see the bengals win a title.  

But I all too often see people post something and then get jumped on by someone on the “other” with some half assed stat designed to show how their opinion is wrong.  Too much I’m gonna prove myself right no matter the cost around here.  Leads to much petty bickering and not enough discussion

[Image: giphy.gif]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 01:22 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote:  The whole homer vs hater bit I find frustrating.  

Leads to much petty bickering and not enough discussion

Proverbs 27:17 

"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend."

(05-15-2019, 01:22 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote:  

Too much I’m gonna prove myself right no matter the cost around here.   

That's what all the people who are wrong say.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 03:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Proverbs 27:17 

"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend."

That's what all the people who are wrong say.

And what exactly am I wrong about?

Reply/Quote
Andy is going to have a career year though...
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 03:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Andy is going to have a career year though...

If he can stay healthy.

He may need to invent some kind of "thumb helmet" to wear.  Tongue
Reply/Quote