Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Per Second Per Second
I'm trying to remember per second per second.

If you have an engine that accelerates at 1 foot per second per second, does it accelerate at 1 foot per second then 2 feet per second then 4 feet per second and so on or does it accelerate at 1 foot per second then 2 feet per second then 3 feet per second and so on?

EDIT:
1-2-4-8-16-32-64-128-256 ect
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 ect
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 10:36 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I'm trying to remember per second per second.

If you have an engine that accelerates at 1 foot per second per second, does it accelerate at 1 foot per second then 2 feet per second then 4 feet per second and so on or does it accelerate at 1 foot per second then 2 feet per second then 3 feet per second and so on?

EDIT:
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 ect

If I remember correctly, it is actually a square, ex. meters/sec^2.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 10:47 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: If I remember correctly, it is actually a square, ex. meters/sec^2.

I think that is the rate at which things fall, with the Earth's gravitational pull.  What he's asking about would be more like a 3 force vector equation, of gravity, friction, and force moving the car.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Speed increases one foot per second every second.

After 1 sec....1 foot per second
After 2 sec....2 feet pet second
After 3 sec....3 feet per second

Increae in speed is linear but increase in distance travelled is cumulative.

After 1 sec....0.5 feet
After 2 sec....2.0 feet
After 3 sec....4.5 feet
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 10:36 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I'm trying to remember per second per second.

EDIT:
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 ect

Acceleration is the measurement of the change of velocity (or speed). So if an object is accelerating, it's velocity is changing. If an object has no acceleration, it's velocity is constant. Gravity is a force, which applies acceleration to an object. Other forces include magnetic and nuclear.

Edit: Just to add a little more context, per second per second is the same as per second squared (which is part of the form of the equation used for time when representing acceleration mathematically) e.g. meters per second squared is the same as meters per second per second.

Edit2: To answer your last question, if something is accelerating at 1 foot per second, the amount of feet that is traveled each second will only increase by 1.

If acceleration is constant at 1 foot per second per second then:

Time(seconds) 0 1 2 3 4 5
Speed(feet per second) 0 1 2 3 4 5

If Acceleration was 2 feet per second it would be

Time 0 1 2 3 4 5
Speed 0 2 4 6 8 10
Reply/Quote
Ok, so what is the formula for distance traveled?

An engine accelerates at 1 foot per second per second for 10 seconds so the distance traveled would be 55 feet.
1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10=55.

This won't work for huge numbers though unless you have a computer to do the calculations.

For instance, what is the distance traveled if your engine accelerates at 1 foot per second per second up to the speed of light?
What is that formula?
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2019, 04:00 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Ok, so what is the formula for distance traveled?

An engine accelerates at 1 foot per second per second for 10 seconds so the distance traveled would be 55 feet.
1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10=55.

This won't work for huge numbers though unless you have a computer to do the calculations.

For instance, what is the distance traveled if your engine accelerates at 1 foot per second per second up to the speed of light?
What is that formula?

The engine is not going a full foot per second for the first full second.  It starts at zero and ends at 1.  So the average speed is only 1/2 foot per second for the first second.  The average speed for the second second is 1.5 feet per second and so on.

Sorry I can't spit out the exact formula, but that is how it works.
Reply/Quote
The acceleration a is considered to be constant at 1 ft/s^2.  To get velocity v we integrate a with respect to time t.

v = INTEGRAL a dt = at + v0 where v0 = initial velocity.

To get position x we integate v with respect to t.

x = INTEGRAL (at + v0)dt = 0.5at^2 +v0t + x0 where x0 = initial position.

t = 0 v = 0 x = 0

t = 1 v = 1 x = 0.5

t = 2 v = 3 x = 2.5

t = 3 v = 6 x = 7

t = 4 v = 10 x = 15

t = 5 v = 15 x = 27.5

t = 6 v = 21 x = 45.5

t = 7 v = 28 x = 70

t = 8 v = 36 x = 102

t = 9 v = 45 x = 142.5

t = 10 v = 55 x = 192.5
Reply/Quote
Acceleration is the rate at which velocity changes. So as Fred said, the velocity is changing at the rate of one foot per second every second. Also known as feet per second squared....or whatever unit of distance you are using divided by the unit of time you are using.

So if a car was accelerating at 8 m/s2 (or 8 meters per second per second), after one second, its velocity would be 8 m/s...after 2 seconds its velocity would be 16m/s...after 3 seconds its velocity would be 24 m/s. The rate at which the velocity is increasing is by 8 m/s every second.

You can also calculate acceleration by the formula: final velocity minus initial velocity divided by time
Reply/Quote
This is like freshman physics. Glad there are no 15 year olds in here calling us stupid.
Reply/Quote
Nerds.
Reply/Quote
I’m exhausted after reading this and still don’t understand ANY of this. Math phobia kicked in 1/2 way through the 1st post. LOL

Reply/Quote