Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Perception going forward?
It appears the sports writers and commentators are finally giving the team some respect. I wonder if this has a big impact on FA? We’ve heard it before and even said it on here many times that players don’t want to play for this team. We’ve received such a bad rap (Well deserved some could agree) in the past.

Yet, insert today’s Bengals and there is great camaraderie and culture in that locker room. Those same traits are working on the field. These players are having fun. So, does this make this organization look appealing to other players? Or, were we just full of shit and all players care about is the money?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Winning brings in big FA's and there is no doubt about it.

Great players don't just chase money, they chase Superbowls and trying to be the best and the money comes along for the ride.
Reply/Quote
It will definitely help. Same with having Burrow.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 04:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It will definitely help. Same with having Burrow.

I believe that also. Something about that dude rather it be his leadership, swag, attitude, etc. He sure isn’t no Andy that’s for sure. He play’s with heart and leads others to do so as well.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 04:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It will definitely help. Same with having Burrow.

Yeah, I think that's a big part because players will see that we'll always be competitive as long as we have Burrow.  

Money rules everything, but I think being loaded at QB, running back, and receiver would make players excited to be blocking for them or playing on the other side of the ball because they know that we'll always be successful.

I wish Mike Brown would stop with the mentality of "we don't need a practice bubble because we can use UC's or whoever's."

I think that modernizing all that, along with Burrow and the weapons we have, would make Cincinnati a very desirable destination, especially with how downtown/riverfront/NKY is building up.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 05:05 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yeah, I think that's a big part because players will see that we'll always be competitive as long as we have Burrow.  

Money rules everything, but I think being loaded at QB, running back, and receiver would make players excited to be blocking for them or playing on the other side of the ball because they know that we'll always be successful.

I wish Mike Brown would stop with the mentality of "we don't need a practice bubble because we can use UC's or whoever's."

I think that modernizing all that, along with Burrow and the weapons we have, would make Cincinnati a very desirable destination, especially with how downtown/riverfront/NKY is building up.

I forgot about the Indoor practice field thing. That may cause a problem.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 05:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I forgot about the Indoor practice field thing. That may cause a problem.

I know Pat McAfee dogs on them big time for this (pun wasn't originally intended) but I thought AJ kinda dismissed that notion with his remarks that it helps the players when they do have to play in the elements.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 05:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I forgot about the Indoor practice field thing. That may cause a problem.

I'm just thinking that, along with a small medical staff, doesn't make this the most exciting place when visiting.  You want to "wow" players visiting and show them everything we offer.  

An indoor practice facility just would help make this a more attractive location.
Reply/Quote
Money rules with top free agents getting their second contract.  That is usually the biggest deal any player ever gets.  If you look around the league you will see great players go to bad teams for big contracts.

With older vets winning is much more important.  Definitely easier to sign those type of guys if you have a winning team.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 05:00 PM)HarleyDog Wrote:  He sure isn’t no Andy that’s for sure.

Other NFL players never minded playing with Dalton.  For some reason they respected Dalton more than his own fans.  Maybe that was because they all knew him much better than we do and leadership is about a lot more than squealing on the sidelines during a game.  Joe looks like a great leader, but there was never anything wrong with Dalton's leadership.

I believe that Burrow will be a better QB than Dalton, but I don't know why fans have to hate on Dalton to pump up Burrow.  Dalton beat lots of good teams.  Dalton led lots of clutch comebacks.  As much as you guys drool over Burrow the fact is that he has not accomplished a fraction of what Dalton did.

And if Burrow someday surpasses Dalton then we should be able to celebrate Joe without having to shit on Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 06:04 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: I know Pat McAfee dogs on them big time for this (pun wasn't originally intended) but I thought AJ kinda dismissed that notion with his remarks that it helps the players when they do have to play in the elements.

Well that's not really dismissing anything. If we had a practice facility, you still have the option to practice outdoors if you need to simulate the elements. The facility is for when the game won't be played in elements (dome games, good weather) and that days practice is being rained/snowed out.

I'll never forget when Whitworth was complaining about footing in icy conditions leading up to our (indoor) playoff game in Houston. Now that is what you're trying to avoid with a facility.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 06:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Money rules with top free agents getting their second contract.  That is usually the biggest deal any player ever gets.  If you look around the league you will see great players go to bad teams for big contracts.

With older vets winning is much more important.  Definitely easier to sign those type of guys if you have a winning team.

Hence Tampa getting every once elite veteran coming in to play with Brady.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 04:31 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: It appears the sports writers and commentators are finally giving the team some respect. I wonder if this has a big impact on FA? We’ve heard it before and even said it on here many times that players don’t want to play for this team. We’ve received such a bad rap (Well deserved some could agree) in the past.

Yet, insert today’s Bengals and there is great camaraderie and culture in that locker room. Those same traits are working on the field. These players are having fun. So, does this make this organization look appealing to other players? Or, were we just full of shit and all players care about is the money?

By and large, I feel that most players are all about the money.  However, we have also seen a few stars toward the end of their careers take a team friendly deal with a serious contender, in an effort to have a chance at a Title that has eluded them.  So I would think that winning and culture makes a little bit of difference in attracting quality free agents, but not as much as huge money to the players with their prime years still ahead of them.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The perception going forward will be to remember to never trust the Bengals. National media won't make that mistake again.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote