Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perceptions & Appraisal of a Team Looking for Answers
In sports it has been said the highs are truly not as high and the lows are truly not as low, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  This axiom, however, does not apply to fans who live and die with a team winning or losing. 

How does the fan reconcile the contrasting perception of a team which played so efficient and fast on both sides of the ball during the opener in Seattle and look so slow, sluggish, and apathetic a week later?  I mean this is the same team correct? And we are talking just 7 days later?

I was expecting fans to vent after a painful-to-watch game against a good 49ers’s team, and they should vent.  This performance by the Bengals was unexpected by many and has created some serious trust issues with the new coaching staff, particularly with Sweet Lou (who is perceived as the Bengals 6th-7th choice for DC) and head coach Zac Taylor.

Same team and basically the same personnel but wow, were they man-handled.  But what now? How can this team be fixed?  
The common thread between weeks 1 & 2 is lack of a rushing game.  This is a team that had the AFC leading rusher in Joe Mixon just last year. Take away Boling (LG), Redmon (RG) and Price is no longer the starting center.  Adding Miller, Jordan, and Jerry did not improve this line in the rushing department.  Unfortunately, Jonah Williams was injured, and Glenn has been in concussion protocol for nearly a month.  Andre Smith is not the answer.  It will take the Bengals 2-3 years to fix the O-Line.

Then there is Dalton.  The “good” Andy, “bad” Andy is back in vogue for the 2019 Bengals.  I have been neutral regarding Dalton, but I must say, Taylor needs to go and get his quarterback and it may well come in 2020 draft.  Finley is a fine backup, but I am not certain he is the answer. Nevertheless, I am certain that Dalton is not the long-term answer for this franchise. 

On defense, again no surprise here.  The backers are not getting it done. I am also questioning the secondary with regards to Dre Kirkpatrick and Shawn Williams in terms of long-term plans.  But the backer position group is not only thin but lacks talent.

Some of us fans have been down this road before.  Over the past 30 years it was quite hopeless until Lewis took the Bengals to several playoffs… only to lose.  It is difficult to win games in the NFL and more difficult to make it to the playoffs.  And apparently unsurmountable for a post Paul Brown Bengals team to win in the playoffs.

I have not given up hope on Zac Taylor.  But I will admit, after today’s performance, my perception of Taylor gives me pause.  I think he will need 2-3 more years to purge some players and form “his” team.  One can only hope.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote