Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Fear the 49ers Uncovered Old Merchant Marine Footage and Figured Out Lou's Playbook
(09-15-2019, 07:55 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I think we will see more Pratt next week. We need his speed desperately on this Defense.

He played this week and did very little.

IF Webb is hurt, Pratt almost has to play.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 08:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He played this week and did very little.

IF Webb is hurt, Pratt almost has to play.

If Webb is hurt then I think we will see more Phillips as for Pratt I didn't see any of him.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 07:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed. Nice posts. So we know the gameplan was bad from the start, but you have to adjust. The 49ers were running. The coaches either couldn't adjust or they did and the players still couldn't stop it. PFF talked about how great Kittle was run blocking.

Ross kind of disappeared until that 66 yarder on the last play. Agree on Eifert. Uzomah is mediocre too. I mean as a backup, he's not bad...but he's not a gamechanger.

Mixon looks like the lack of blocking is in his head. He looked so frustrated.

And yes...Dalton is Dalton. IF you put him throwing it 50 times a game, he'll make mistakes and misread throws some.

The only thing I can think of is they were scared of Kittle against 4-3 base in the passing game.

With no run game, AJ out, and the rest of our WR's just being bad, it's too easy to scheme to limit a WR.  Last week, Seattle worked to put the clamps on Boyd, but Ross went off.  This week, the 9 'ers mostly took Ross out of the game, but Boyd had a big day.  They need AJ back, another WR to step up, and/or to get the run game going.

I'm concerned about Mixon.  He was ok, but not great as a rookie and blew up last year.  As a rookie, we ran an outside zone blocking scheme.  Last year, we ran an inside zone scheme.  This year, we're back to an outside zone scheme.  

I've never been a Dalton hater, but he is what he is and I'm afraid it's time to move on.  With the size, athleticism, and arm strength limitations he has, he has to be able to go through his progressions and make the correct reads more than he does.  He does great with pre snap reads, but if his first read is covered, too many times he just goes deer in the headlights and eats a sack.  Too many picks trying to force the ball in, too many tipped passes at the line, too many errant throws, doesn't have the arm strength to make throws when he's on the move.  He's a decent starter, but there is no next level for him.  Sadly, it's time to play the QB lottery again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 06:37 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: It reminded me of the Bears game in 2017. Maybe going back cross country and playing such a physical game wore them out?

The black uni's in the heat may have been a bit of a factor, but nowhere near explains it.  I was actually surprised to not see guys cramping up left and right like we have in years past.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 09:11 PM)Whatever Wrote: The only thing I can think of is they were scared of Kittle against 4-3 base in the passing game.

With no run game, AJ out, and the rest of our WR's just being bad, it's too easy to scheme to limit a WR.  Last week, Seattle worked to put the clamps on Boyd, but Ross went off.  This week, the 9 'ers mostly took Ross out of the game, but Boyd had a big day.  They need AJ back, another WR to step up, and/or to get the run game going.

I'm concerned about Mixon.  He was ok, but not great as a rookie and blew up last year.  As a rookie, we ran an outside zone blocking scheme.  Last year, we ran an inside zone scheme.  This year, we're back to an outside zone scheme.  

I've never been a Dalton hater, but he is what he is and I'm afraid it's time to move on.  With the size, athleticism, and arm strength limitations he has, he has to be able to go through his progressions and make the correct reads more than he does.  He does great with pre snap reads, but if his first read is covered, too many times he just goes deer in the headlights and eats a sack.  Too many picks trying to force the ball in, too many tipped passes at the line, too many errant throws, doesn't have the arm strength to make throws when he's on the move.  He's a decent starter, but there is no next level for him.  Sadly, it's time to play the QB lottery again.

He lacks pocket presence, elite mobility, etc. IF we had a loaded roster...he's the guy. But, with our team looking in need of 5-7 new starters...that's a rebuild. Probably makes sense to change QB's if we get a good shot at one.

I don't blame Dalton for this mess though. We're just a poorly managed team.
Reply/Quote
You want to know how bad the defense was today? When the team announced the defensive starters to the fans at the stadium, they introduced 12 players. They couldn't even get that right.
Reply/Quote
I think the problem is the fans. There was a lot of red in the stands, from the the start of the game. They were loud. Just guessing. It looked like close to 1/2 SF fans. There was a lot of empty seats also. I think we got back the same effort the fans put into. It today. So I blame the 12 man.
Who dey
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 10:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He lacks pocket presence, elite mobility, etc. IF we had a loaded roster...he's the guy. But, with our team looking in need of 5-7 new starters...that's a rebuild. Probably makes sense to change QB's if we get a good shot at one.

I don't blame Dalton for this mess though. We're just a poorly managed team.

I don't blame the guy either.  He's an average NFL starter.  He's also had a ton of different OC's, which may have hurt his development.  There are QB's that elevate the talent around them and QB's that get elevated by by the talent around them.  He's the latter and we need the former to get over the hump.  You certainly can't realistically expect more from a 2nd round QB.  Fairly or unfairly, he will always be tied to Marvin's playoff failures.  
Reply/Quote