Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perfect Opportunity for Bengals to Build Indoor Facility
(02-21-2021, 03:57 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And once again, it all circles back to the same question. Where are you going to put it? I think teaming with UC to build one makes sense, but there has to be a place available. I don't live there anymore, so is there even a place between downtown and Clifton to put one? I would think UC would want a facility student athletes could walk to.

I thought I read a story a year or so ago that the Bengals wanted to acquire the land just west of PBS. Can't remember what they were planning to do with the land, but I know they showed interest in buying it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Bengals wouldn't get any credit from building an indoors facility. The response would just be "about 30 years too late".
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 09:40 PM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: The Bengals wouldn't get any credit from building an indoors facility. The response would just be "about 30 years too late".

It would benefit the players. That’s the most important thing here.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 09:25 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fwiw, Dallas' facility is in another city!!!!  It's in Frisco Texas, which is about 30 miles away from Dallas.

I'm postive there are other examples, as I know a lot of NFL teams don't have their facilities within blocks of the stadium, but this is one that always comes to mind.

The Cowboys Practice Facility has the weight room, classrooms, rehab center, and even the coaches offices.

The Bengals just put in a new weight room and rehab facility in PBS. They would need to put the indoor field very close.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 09:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Can’t we just do that too though? Why does the practice facility have to be within spitting distance of PBS? Put it in Harrison or something.

What's kinda crazy is the whole FC Cincinnati thing. 

Obviously they're SMALL potatoes compared to the Bengals.  They managed to privately fund the bulk of their new stadium (I believe it was a 250 million dollar project).  They also built a 35 million dollar training facilty just a couple of years ago in Milford, which they also funded.  They sold the naming right to Mercy Health. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/11/06/fc-cincinnati-opens-35m-training-center-photos.html

I'm too lazy to look up the exact mileage, but I gotta figure the West End to Milford is a good 20 miles at minimum.  Money, nor distance, prevented a minor league soccer team from planning all of this out.

There are NO excuses for the Bengals to not have a facility.  
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 08:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I seriously doubt Cincinnati is the only city in all of the NFL that “can’t fit an indoor facility” literally anywhere around town. That’s ridiculous.

There’s one big (and obvious) reason we don’t have one: $$$

I agree. I'm in MD and the Ravens and Washington Football Team have facilities fairly far from the stadium. In the case of WFT, actually in separate states. ( fun fact: Washington hasn't been in DC in decades ). With both teams having facilities off of the beltways, traffic time to and from can take anywhere from 2 hours to 3-4 business days. 

I know little about Cincinnati, but I do know Ohio is pretty big and Kentucky isn't far. Millionaire wants a building, he gets one. He doesn't it.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 10:22 PM)Synric Wrote: The Cowboys Practice Facility has the weight room, classrooms, rehab center, and even the coaches offices.

The Bengals just put in a new weight room and rehab facility in PBS. They would need to put the indoor field very close.

Why would the indoor facilty need to be "very close"?

You do realize that all of the equipment could be moved, right?  Surely, if equipment was moved into a facilty then it could be moved out of facility, could it not?  It's not as if it all magically appeared out of thin air.

Also, just for the record, much of this stuff was all paid for by the county.  I've linked it too many times, and am now too lazy too dig up the old articles, but the bulk of these upgrades were at the expense of tax payers. 

I'm tied of the Bengals getting credit for having a "world class" weight room and medical equipment when there's no mention of the county paying for, like, 17 million of that 20 million dollar overhaul.

Fwiw, the same upgrade amounts were available to both the Reds and the Bengals.  I think the Reds took something like 4 million of the amount from the county and forgave the rest.  The Bengals, on the other hand, took like 90%, and forgave the rest.

It's pretty rich that we're now using the excuse that we couldn't possibly move equiptment as a reason why an indoor facility isn't viable unless it's in extremely close proximity to PBS.

The Bengals need a facilty, and they have for well over a decade.  Either figure out how to put adjencent to the stadium, or secure another site.  Enough with the excuses.
Reply/Quote
I don't think we will see an indoor facility any time soon, if the front office had any desire to build one I don't think they would have spent all the money on the refurb when Zac took over.
Although then again if it is a purpose built training facility it doesn't need to be anywhere near the stadium, My football (soccer) team over here is Celtic and we have all the facilities at out stadium and used to train outdoors at a local park. We then built an new £8m training facility 13 miles from the stadium where the players train all week but still use the facilities in the stadium on match days.
Reply/Quote
They are not building an indoor facility because they aren't going to be in Cincinnati too much longer.

I hope I eat my words but the family is mainly motivated by money and they will be headed to greener pastures when lease expires.

Poor attendance will be their excuse for leaving.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 01:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If we got both a ring of honor, and an indoor practice facility it would truly be a sign the times are a changing. And that Mike has officially passed the torch to Katie. It just makes so much sense. I’m obviously not holding my breath though.

Yeah, even people who hate their parents tend to grow up to think and act like their parents.  The idea that Katie is going to inherit a billion dollar can't fail business from her dad and be like "That dumbass did so much wrong, time to turn things around!" is wishful thinking at best.

Perhaps I'm being too negative, but how often does an NFL owner die and then his kids make things better or radically change things?  I guess Al Davis' son hired a GM rather than just drafting fast busts, so there is that...but the Raiders at least won SBs with crazy Al at the helm.

Ida know, I just picture Troy and Katie being the married version of Mike Brown and Virgiania McCaskey for the next 50 years.  You can pick which is which.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 02:51 PM)Synric Wrote: The UPMC Rooney Sports Complex isn't just some indoor practice field. In has like 4 outdoor fields and is the weight training center for the Steelers and Panthers along with every sport at the University. It is also part of the school it houses are one the best sports medicine programs in the country.

The Bengals just put in one of the top weight training rooms and rehab centers in the NFL. It wouldnt be cost effective for them to do that again at the University of Cincinnati. Their best bet would be to find off site and build just an indoor climate controlled field.

What about that field next to PBS where they do some of their Training Camp?
I would imagine they could build an indoor practice facility on that?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
This just makes too much sense...the Bengals would never go for it. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 09:40 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: The Bengals wouldn't get any credit from building an indoors facility. The response would just be "about 30 years too late".

Comments like these kill me... 

There's a sub group of people on this forum that likes to point out how Bengals fans like to ***** and moan and "feel sorry for themselves". 

In what world do we live in where this isn't warranted? Have the Bengals done enough in the past 30 years to tip the scales from not receiving the benefit of the doubt to receiving the benefit of the doubt?

I mean here we are talking about an indoor practice facility which the Bengals are currently one of the only teams that DONT have at the moment and people make idiotic posts like the one above. Blows my mind. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 12:12 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Why would the indoor facilty need to be "very close"?

You do realize that all of the equipment could be moved, right?  Surely, if equipment was moved into a facilty then it could be moved out of facility, could it not?  It's not as if it all magically appeared out of thin air.

Also, just for the record, much of this stuff was all paid for by the county.  I've linked it too many times, and am now too lazy too dig up the old articles, but the bulk of these upgrades were at the expense of tax payers. 

I'm tied of the Bengals getting credit for having a "world class" weight room and medical equipment when there's no mention of the county paying for, like, 17 million of that 20 million dollar overhaul.

Fwiw, the same upgrade amounts were available to both the Reds and the Bengals.  I think the Reds took something like 4 million of the amount from the county and forgave the rest.  The Bengals, on the other hand, took like 90%, and forgave the rest.

It's pretty rich that we're now using the excuse that we couldn't possibly move equiptment as a reason why an indoor facility isn't viable unless it's in extremely close proximity to PBS.

The Bengals need a facilty, and they have for well over a decade.  Either figure out how to put adjencent to the stadium, or secure another site.  Enough with the excuses.

No. Hamilton County was on the hook to the stadium upgrades not the team facilities which is a separate entity.

Quote:For these improvements, Hamilton County taxpayers will cover a little more than $10 million of the costs, with the Bengals are paying for most of the remaining costs. Berding said costs break down like this: County taxpayers will pay $7.5 million of the roughly $10 million for the scoreboards, with the team covering the rest. The Bengals will pay for up to $1 million in club furniture. That would typically be a county expense, Berding said. The Bengals are also paying for the multimillion-dollar renovation of team space. The county will pay up to $3 million for WiFi expansion, with the Bengals covering the rest of the cost. The Bengals and Aramark are covering the costs to upgrade concession stands.
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2015/02/24/cincinnati-bengals-unveil-stadium-improvements.html?page=all
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 03:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What about that field next to PBS where they do some of their Training Camp?

Whatever mentioned earlier in this thread that Katie says the power lines for PBS are run under the practice fields so they can build on them.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 08:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I seriously doubt Cincinnati is the only city in all of the NFL that “can’t fit an indoor facility” literally anywhere around town. That’s ridiculous.

There’s one big (and obvious) reason we don’t have one: $$$

Well obviously they can fit an indoor facility "anywhere" near town, duh, the discussion was someplace between PBS and UC, and it appears from the map all that land is taken up already.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 03:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What about that field next to PBS where they do some of their Training Camp?

Nope, the power grid goes under that field and they cannot even put a bubble on it.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 05:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well obviously they can fit an indoor facility "anywhere" near town, duh, the discussion was someplace between PBS and UC, and it appears from the map all that land is taken up already.

We've got to think outside the box. We could have the first ever indoor floating facility
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 05:11 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well obviously they can fit an indoor facility "anywhere" near town, duh, the discussion was someplace between PBS and UC, and it appears from the map all that land is taken up already.

It doesn’t have to be anywhere in particular. It’s already been pointed out in this thread some teams have theirs as far as 30 miles away.

Reply/Quote
The Bengals do have a place now where they can build a practice facility.  I'm not sure it would be ideal for a Bengals/Bearcats shared space, but the idea they have nowhere to buld their own is simply untrue.  

This all unfolded a couple years ago when the city wanted to buld a music venue near PBS, and they wanted to use an unused lot that was reserved for the Bengals.  Initally the Bengals resisted (why the city or county have to get permission to use their own land is beyond me).  But they ended up coming to an agreeement.

The county bought the 15 acre lot that was Hilltop conrete company for 30 million dollars in exchange for being able to build the music venue on The Banks.  That lot is now free for the Bengals to use for whatever they wish.  A practice facility was discussed numerous times in local coverage.

Just in case anyone didn't know...

Hamilton County government promised the county will "use reasonable efforts" to have the Hilltop facility available for the first preseason game at Paul Brown Stadium in 2020.

Why is Hilltop so important to the Bengals?

The property will become 1,750 to 1,950 additional parking for Bengals games and the site of a possible indoor practice facility. The Bengals would build the practice facility at the teams own expense if the team decides to build one.  

The Bengals in an official statement wouldn't comment whether they would allow construction to start without the county having bought Hilltop.

Even if and when the county buys the Hilltop site, the Bengals have not committed to building a practice facility.

The Bengals are the northernmost NFL team without an indoor practice facility. Logistical concerns, including underground utilities beneath the practice field, have prevented an indoor practice facility, Bengals Vice President Troy Blackburn told The Enquirer earlier this month.

“If it were simple, we would spend the money and build it tomorrow. It’s unfortunately not simple,” Blackburn said. “It’s something that has been in people’s eyes. I think it will continue to be in people’s eyes. We’ll give it a fresh set of looks again … That’s why that was put into the agreement. We’ve had the right to do that on the practice fields throughout; this maybe gives us another option you could take a look at.”
Reply/Quote